This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I'm thinking of giving Risen 3 a shot, or getting Dark Souls 2.

#11blax34dmPosted 8/13/2014 4:16:01 AM
Evil_Worm posted...
ripvision posted...
CELTEKK posted...
DaedalusEx posted...
Voelger posted...
Does dark souls 2 feel like a true sequel and new from the original?

Nope, it's little more than an imitation.

god, you are so butthurt over dark Souls 2 literally every time I see you post, it's bashing dark Souls 2 give up the nerd raging already

Cant blame him though, DS2 wasn't as good as DS1 for many souls fans.

For the third installment of the Souls series, and being a direct sequel to Dark Souls, the game just fall flat on it's face.

For every improvement I could find, there were double the cases of deterioration. And we got the same problems that the last installments had. Which is funny, cause the team working on this game was almost double in size.
They just tried to imitate attributes from the other games, and doing so without knowing the reasoning for having said stuff in the first place. The bad design style connecting the world. Bad placements of weapons and bonfires.
Enemies built on old system of darkness that were not changed accordingly to the new, less impressive style. Less diversity, be it enemies and bosses design and move sets, to weapons move sets. Etc etc...

All in all, for a Souls game, the game didn't have any "Soul".

Was the game good? Sure, it's better then the average game out there.
Was it a good sequel? Hell no. Felt more like a mediocre clone.

Great post. Everything you said is spot on. It really did feel like it was made by a different team just trying to imitate the first one, but missing the key things to do so.
#12Hi CPosted 8/13/2014 4:42:55 AM
For the third installment of the Souls series, and being a direct sequel to Dark Souls, the game just fall flat on it's face.

For every improvement I could find, there were double the cases of deterioration. And we got the same problems that the last installments had. Which is funny, cause the team working on this game was almost double in size.
They just tried to imitate attributes from the other games, and doing so without knowing the reasoning for having said stuff in the first place. The bad design style connecting the world. Bad placements of weapons and bonfires.
Enemies built on old system of darkness that were not changed accordingly to the new, less impressive style. Less diversity, be it enemies and bosses design and move sets, to weapons move sets. Etc etc...

All in all, for a Souls game, the game didn't have any "Soul".

Was the game good? Sure, it's better then the average game out there.
Was it a good sequel? Hell no. Felt more like a mediocre clone.

lol ground floor "souls fans" sound like Everquest players whining about modern MMO's....only with a whole lot less credibility and a whole lot more irony.
#13SchoolRumblePosted 8/13/2014 4:53:42 AM
Im sure glad I have you guys to tell me what I should and shouldn't like
---
PSN: BlindyTwo
Gamertag: Blindy II
#14Guitar_Hero_GuyPosted 8/13/2014 4:58:53 AM
If you can limit your frames to 30 fps, Dark Souls 2 is great. I don't think the game is as strong as the first half of the first Dark Souls, but it does have a better experience all around. The combat is tighter and feels better, and there's less gimmicks and more true skill within the game. What I mean by this is, there's no DPS race fight that's mandatory, there's no boss that can knock you into a ledge and such. While the lava areas were the weakest part of the first game, they are easily the strongest part of the second game. Also, if the game is too easy for you, or you're seeking an additional challenge. More to this, there are many things added if you do new game plus, with new encounters, new boss skills and more phantoms and players invading you.

In comparison, Risen 3 has a broken combat system that has yet to be fixed for what seems like Gothic 2, a very nicely crafted world and an okay story, with bad voiceacting. If the combat system was fun, it'd be a really nice buy, but as it stands, it's not very appealing.

I hope this helps, I wouldn't write off Dark Souls 2 because of a few people who didn't like it. I would recommend watching reviews of it and deciding which you'd like better. Also, seriously cap your frames to 30FPS, or you will break your weapons and the enemy's animations get faster. It's the lamest thing ever, and something I seriously hope they fix.
---
Steam ID - Jaxxxson
#15yarsPosted 8/13/2014 5:04:39 AM
if you like dark souls, you should like dark souls 2, maybe not quite as much as the first, but close. if you like dark souls and not dark souls 2 at all, it's because you're a sad little man who wasn't going to be happy with anything but a dark souls remastered edition.
---
My whole life has been a miserable pig filled ordeal because of you.
#16Evil_WormPosted 8/14/2014 10:59:38 AM
yars posted...
if you like dark souls, you should like dark souls 2, maybe not quite as much as the first, but close. if you like dark souls and not dark souls 2 at all, it's because you're a sad little man who wasn't going to be happy with anything but a dark souls remastered edition.

I guess people are not supposed to expect a sequel to be better then it's predecessor, especially when the development team doubles in size, and said team has 3 years to work on it.

I also love the fact that instead of countering my points, or posting some good stuff about the game(like Guitar Hero did above), it's easier to attack anyone who dislikes the game. Bravo, splendid work.
---
Do you not know how to use Google? You search "[actress name] naked" and naked pictures show up. - brimicbed
#17HappyHippo04Posted 8/14/2014 11:17:25 AM
I sunk several hundred hours in Dark Souls and I think Dark Souls 2 is better in most regards *shrug*

Story/hidden lore was a lot weaker though which was kind of a bummer.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#18acangialPosted 8/14/2014 11:17:37 AM
DS 2 was a very good game. I would recommend it over 90% of most modern games that are mediocre at best. As others have said though, it's no where near as good as DS1. DS2 has much sharper visuals, sound, tighter controls and better QoL elements. However, the worlds lacked the extraordinary epic designs and inter/intra-connectivity of the first game. DS1 was a masterpiece, where DS2 is just a very good game.
---
i5-3570K, GTX660 2GB, ASRock Z77 EXTRM4, CV 8GB DDR, Samsung 840 120GB, WD Caviar Blk 1T, XFX PRO750W, CM HAF 922, CM Hyp 212 EVO, Logitech G13 & G700
#19YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/14/2014 11:20:33 AM
Pfft. King's Field forevah. Souls games are for the unwashed masses.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#20LazyyAmericanPosted 8/14/2014 11:41:07 AM
Pfft pong for life....3d games are for the unwashed masses.
---
A true cinematic 24 fps experience