This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

any good sandbox mmorpg's out?

#1xVSaNxPosted 8/12/2014 8:11:50 PM
huge fan of ultima online, looking to play something similar, big sandbox where you level up and pvp. I'm trying the archeage beta thursday but it seems like it'll be disappointing because of the pay to win aspect. are there any newer sandbox mmo's? not too interested in dcuo, i'll play that with rl friends on ps4 when I get one.
#2DarkLagunaPosted 8/13/2014 1:37:31 AM
EVE online is the ultimate sandbox MMO. However, the space and spaceship setting isn't everyone's cup of tea, and by this stage of the game's lifespan, there's virtually no chance you'll ever do anything significant if you're just starting out.

Your best bet is to wait for one of the pseudo-sandbox MMO's in production right now to finish (Archage Online, I think Everquest Next is supposed to be "sandbox" too). I can't speak for how fun they'll be, as even beta testers give reviews all over the place, but we can hope they'll be decent.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#3Freedan12Posted 8/13/2014 3:04:12 AM
Planetside 2.
#4Edavy89Posted 8/13/2014 4:41:09 AM
SOE is making H1z1 which is supposed to be a post apoc sandbox mmo. Not sure how much faith I have in anything John Smedley has a hand in after the NGE, but, the potential is there.
#5XianCePosted 8/13/2014 4:58:38 AM
Freedan12 posted...
Planetside 2.

That game is just TDM with oversized maps.
---
A philosopher and a hopeless romantic gamer.
#6xVSaNx(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 9:20:57 AM
EVE seemed too overwhelming and I don't like spaceship simulation much in games, trying out SWTOR while I wait for the archeage beta to open up tomorrow and definitely want to try everquest next

it sucks i couldn't even find a good fun UO shard last time I checked, everywhere's too much like the paid servers
#7ATARIJAWAPosted 8/13/2014 9:52:00 AM
Archeage is unfortunately not a true Sandbox. It's a themepark with some sandbox elements. Let's put it this way, it plays more like a themepark than a true sandbox like SWG,UO or EVE. While the game is fun it's not the sandbox experience that i was really waiting for.

You could play the SWG EMU. That's a lot of fun.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#8xVSaNx(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 11:50:13 AM
I hope black desert is a real sandbox, signed up for the third beta and it looks great

I'll have to look into swg, I player many uo emu shards before they all required reagents
#9badboyPosted 8/13/2014 11:50:52 AM
Tera
#10Edavy89Posted 8/13/2014 2:39:15 PM
ATARIJAWA posted...
Archeage is unfortunately not a true Sandbox. It's a themepark with some sandbox elements. Let's put it this way, it plays more like a themepark than a true sandbox like SWG,UO or EVE. While the game is fun it's not the sandbox experience that i was really waiting for.

You could play the SWG EMU. That's a lot of fun.

Careful mentioning the SWG emu, apparently it is suddenly under the realms of illegal activities. Having it in my sig ended up getting my account suspended and then warned. Although i still find it incredibly interesting that it had been my sig for something like 8 years, and was attached to the thousands of posts I made in that time and was never a problem.. Then suddenly 2 weeks ago suspended out of no-where because of it.