This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Open Air Blade or Blower Fan?

#1mrtywerPosted 8/13/2014 3:03:52 AM
Which performs better? - Results (17 votes)
Regular Fan
58.82% (10 votes)
Squirrel Cage / Blower Fan
41.18% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Is there a benefit, or is it simply preference? I want to get a new GPU, and looking at my choices (I'm most likely going for a 770), I see both types. Which fan type, in PCH's opinion, is superior?
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x
#2SnadadosPosted 8/13/2014 3:12:54 AM
The blower style fans that encase the cooler and exhaust the heat out the back are better if you have SLI/crossfire setups where you want to keep the cards from blowing hot air on each other or cases that don't have very good airflow.

Coolers with multiple fans that allow some air to recirculate in the case are generally quieter and, so long as you have reasonable airflow, will keep your card cooler.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#3arleasPosted 8/13/2014 4:11:14 AM
I think I prefer the ones that blow the hot air out the back...but I don't really give it that much thought as long as everything seems to stay cool.

At the same time, when I had a "twin frozr" which had the two big fans on top, it was one of the quieter GPU fans I've ever had (after I adjusted the speed by 2%). For some reason the fan made horrible noise at the default fan speed, but if I moved it by 2% either direction (faster or slower) it went to super quiet.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#42Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 8/13/2014 4:55:53 AM
arleas posted...
I think I prefer the ones that blow the hot air out the back...but I don't really give it that much thought as long as everything seems to stay cool.

At the same time, when I had a "twin frozr" which had the two big fans on top, it was one of the quieter GPU fans I've ever had (after I adjusted the speed by 2%). For some reason the fan made horrible noise at the default fan speed, but if I moved it by 2% either direction (faster or slower) it went to super quiet.

The fans on my card have a point around 58% where they're loud and imbalanced but I can turn it up all the way to max or down even 1% and have it be quiet. I think fans just have a spot where they don't run well
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#5mrtywer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 1:43:56 PM
Alright, well, my system stays very cool as-is, and I've got an open fan on top, now. From your comments, and the very even poll, it sounds like it's MOSTLY preference but that blower can come in handy for certain setups. I will not be sli'ing my cards, so I'll probably just go with a decent open blade design.
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x