This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FFVIII for Steam - Any good?

#1steve_juneauPosted 8/13/2014 5:56:15 AM
Just got an email saying this is currently 60% off (so 4). I've only ever played through it once on my PS1 back in the day. I've recently finished off FFVII for Steam and I was impressed enough with that - Tidied up visuals, good audio, practically no load times. Is the current version of FFVIII comparable to the PS1 original? Or have they butchered it?
#2SinisterSlayPosted 8/13/2014 5:59:13 AM(edited)
As I understand, it's almost the same as the ps1 version except it has achievements.
The only value in the PC version is that you can mod it. But if you mod it, it removes the achievements.

Truthfully, I think the ps1 version running on petes opengl2.9 and max internal res for y and x looks better. And you get savestates and such.

-Edit
Whoops, missed an I.

It's the ps1 version but with worse audio. It takes more modding to get it nice.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Ticking_DeathPosted 8/13/2014 7:04:05 AM
If it's anything like FF7 for Steam, it also has always-online DRM. Avoid it like the plague.
---
MSI Z87-G45 ATX LGA1150 | i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair XMS 1x8 GB DDR3-1600 | Win7 Ultimate
Using a bow sure has its drawbacks. :V
#4AsellusPosted 8/13/2014 7:06:44 AM
steve_juneau posted...
Just got an email saying this is currently 60% off (so 4). I've only ever played through it once on my PS1 back in the day. I've recently finished off FFVII for Steam and I was impressed enough with that - Tidied up visuals, good audio, practically no load times. Is the current version of FFVIII comparable to the PS1 original? Or have they butchered it?

Pretty much exactly the same sort of thing. The only thing that might be different than 7 for you is that the pc version of 7 originally had a soundtrack based off the midi audio that was used in the original pc release but was later patched out in favor of one based on the psx version's audio while I *believe* 8 still has the midi-based soundtrack. Of course it's quite easily replaced (just a bunch of .ogg files) and there are certainly packages intended for doing so out there you can find with minimal looking.
#5GoldninjaPosted 8/13/2014 7:10:24 AM(edited)
60% off where? Unless it's a uk only thing or something? Steam still says $11.99 for me.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#6MahoganyTooth92Posted 8/13/2014 7:20:39 AM
It's alright. The Junction system is annoying as hell, though.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#7AsellusPosted 8/13/2014 7:27:01 AM
MahoganyTooth92 posted...

It's really not *that* bad. Just don't go the route of trying to draw 100 of every spell from enemies - there are upgrades you can pick up fairly early on that let you make spells from items / mini-game cards which is far more time-efficient.
#8SinisterSlayPosted 8/13/2014 7:27:59 AM

Asellus posted...

It's really not *that* bad. Just don't go the route of trying to draw 100 of every spell from enemies - there are upgrades you can pick up fairly early on that let you make spells from items / mini-game cards which is far more time-efficient.

Your both off topic as the TC is just asking if the steam version is any good, not if the game itself is good.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#9MahoganyTooth92Posted 8/13/2014 7:30:16 AM
Ah, right.

With modding, definitely. There's a mod that lets you replace the music with high-quality versions, and I don't think I noticed any load times.

I don't think there are any graphical enhancements past the uprezzing, though.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8
#10steve_juneau(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2014 7:35:40 AM
Goldninja posted...
60% off where? Unless it's a uk only thing or something? Steam still says $11.99 for me.

I had to sign up to Squeenix when I bought FFVII, so got bundled on their mailing list:

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_uk/games/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VIII.php?tcid=7nyxe9ain7

Could be a UK only discount.

I've read up a bit more regarding the audio and it does seem to come with the rubbish midi files, but there is a simple mod called "Roses and Wine" which replaces all audio for higher quality ogg files. So I'll probably do that :)