This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FFVIII for Steam - Any good?

#11GoldninjaPosted 8/13/2014 7:40:43 AM
steve_juneau posted...
Goldninja posted...
60% off where? Unless it's a uk only thing or something? Steam still says $11.99 for me.

I had to sign up to Squeenix when I bought FFVII, so got bundled on their mailing list:

https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_uk/games/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-VIII.php?tcid=7nyxe9ain7

Could be a UK only discount.

I've read up a bit more regarding the audio and it does seem to come with the rubbish midi files, but there is a simple mod called "Roses and Wine" which replaces all audio for higher quality ogg files. So I'll probably do that :)

Yeah, it's a uk only thing. oh well.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#12SteamsterPosted 8/13/2014 7:52:56 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Your both off topic as the TC is just asking if the steam version is any good, not if the game itself is good.

TC's question does not dictate what we discuss. He doesn't own this thread. Especially when it's basically been answered already.
#13Darkcloud20Posted 8/13/2014 7:57:39 AM
PC version also has the chocobo station mini game.
---
http://raptr.com/Darkcloud1987
#14SinisterSlayPosted 8/13/2014 7:58:18 AM
Darkcloud20 posted...

Good point, I forgot that.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#15voldothegr8Posted 8/13/2014 8:28:49 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
The only value in the PC version is that you can mod it. But if you mod it, it removes the achievements.

I suppose it depends on the mods. I used lots of visual mods and the better music mod and I still got achievements.

As for the question of the topic, I'd say it's worth it. Nothing is butchered, it has magic booster and the chocobo game which are huge time savers for getting magic and items, and of course there are some pretty good mods out there.
---
Oda break tracker 2014- 5 (4)
#16ZalteraPosted 8/13/2014 12:21:36 PM

The only way to get what is probably the best ability in the game.
---
Why is it that he can hit a 3rd baseman on a frozen rope from 300 feet away, but he can't hit a 12 foot tall catcher from 60 feet 6 inches away?
-Awesomeo_4000
#17Golden_GonadsPosted 8/13/2014 12:30:28 PM
I completed the PC version a month or so back, after having last played the original PC release back in 1998? 99? No problems, reasonable loading times and - Most importantly, the latest patch, they added a fast forward mode! Plays the game at double speed, including battles! I decided for some bizarre reason to hit level 99 with all my characters, and the addition of fast-forward really made that a lot easier (It would have been nice mind you if it had been in place from the beginning, as opposed to the last 10% or so of the game, which is where I was when the patch came out).

... Where was I...? Ahh yes. Well worth getting, though not necessarily if you have a digital copy on PS3.