This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I dobt understand why they cant just bring all the games to the PC.

#21ThePaleRiderpPosted 8/14/2014 5:56:23 AM
DaedalusEx posted...
But wouldn't Sony make more money from the extra sales on PC than they would from the (presumably) small number of PC-only gamers that would buy a PS4 to play Bloodbourne?

They would but it would also take away an incentive to buy a PS4.
---
Valar morghulis
#22LoshadtPosted 8/14/2014 6:15:14 AM
temgun posted...
So that makes it okay to put it in the same league as Dark Souls 1? Consoles don't have the lightning either and there's no way PC would have received them anyway.

It not being as bad as Dark Souls 2 is hardly a sterling endorsement. And the whole problem with the lack of lighting is that they pulled a complete bait and switch. They claimed PC was the lead platform yet it has all the trademark issues of being a console port.
---
Scientifically proven.
#23The cranky hermitPosted 8/14/2014 6:23:21 AM
Also ease of development. There's only one kind of PS4 in the world, but there are hundreds of possible modern gaming PC makeups. This is something people tend to overlook, it's just far more time consuming to properly develop for PC these days, I don't blame most devs for not bothering.

This really isn't true. Porting to PC isn't particularly difficult, and the bit about "hundreds of possible gaming PC makeups" is a myth; there's really only two that impact development meaningfully, x86 vs. x64. And developing for x64 is optional since everyone can still run x86 games.

I do speak from experience. I made my first 3D accelerated game in 1999. It ran on all computers I tried it on, and it still runs today. Not only did I not take into account any PC configurations other than my own, but I couldn't have possibly taken future PC configurations into account either.

Better to do nothing than try, fail, and have the PC community at your doorstep with pitchforks.
Heck, Dark Souls 1 and 2 are good examples of this in every regard.

They made money from DS1 and DS2 on PC, didn't they? And I don't see how DS2 was a "failure." Even DS1 was, at worst, still better than the console versions, and couldn't have been that big a failure if DS2 came out.

And I do believe you are overly dramatizing a bunch of disappointed PC gamers venting on message boards. Any developer would choose money over not having their customers grumble.

Same reason DS1 is framelocked isn't it? From what I read the 60fps mods for DS1 can cause physics bugs.

Not really a good "reason." The people who locked the frame rate are DEVELOPERS. It's their fault in the first place that high frame rates cause physics bugs.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#24The cranky hermitPosted 8/14/2014 6:28:33 AM
Loshadt posted...

It not being as bad as Dark Souls 2 is hardly a sterling endorsement. And the whole problem with the lack of lighting is that they pulled a complete bait and switch. They claimed PC was the lead platform yet it has all the trademark issues of being a console port.

So it's like any other console port then; doesn't live up to the potential of a ground-up PC game, and yet it's superior to playing it on the consoles it was meant for.

And when we're talking about console-to-PC ports (which this topic is), that is really all I could ever ask for.

From lying about Dark Souls 2 is unfortunate, but a separate issue.
---
#25LvthnPosted 8/14/2014 6:36:35 AM
The cranky hermit posted...
Same reason DS1 is framelocked isn't it? From what I read the 60fps mods for DS1 can cause physics bugs.

Not really a good "reason." The people who locked the frame rate are DEVELOPERS. It's their fault in the first place that high frame rates cause physics bugs.

I wasn't defending it, just commenting I was under the impression both games lock physics to framerate. Obviously I'd prefer that were not the case, the DS port on PC is a huge pain in the ass.
#26The cranky hermitPosted 8/14/2014 7:06:40 AM
Both games have some amount of logic tied to frame rate. DS2 less so, because you can run it at 60fps out of the box, but there are a few bugs with it. Nothing as game breaking as falling through the floor in DS1 with DSFix, but still enough to show that DS2 was not coded with good practices.
---
#27halomonkey1_3_5Posted 8/14/2014 7:31:18 AM
DaedalusEx posted...
But wouldn't Sony make more money from the extra sales on PC than they would from the (presumably) small number of PC-only gamers that would buy a PS4 to play Bloodbourne?

They'd make more from that individual game, but they make more by giving people more reasons to buy a PS4

If they released all their games on PC, they'd make more money on those individual games than if they released them solely on the PS4, but they make far more by selling you a PS4, controllers, PS+, etc plus the royalties they get from every PS4 game sold.

Thats why they sell the consoles at cost(or at a slight loss), because the extra profit from accessories and royalties from games will provide more profit then if they just marked the hardware up to be profitable in the first place(or thats the theory, anyway).
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest
#28ClashtonnPosted 8/14/2014 7:43:34 AM
Sony, MS and Nintendo own some developers, and publish for others. They also pay for exclusivity.

Where as most PC exclusives are exclusives because other platforms can't handle the mechanics of some games.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#29Cade6669Posted 8/14/2014 8:03:00 AM
Console companies need to bribe studios into making exclusives so they can strong arm consumers into buying their subscription based, closed platforms. Exclusives are why people buy consoles, they're going to get a AAA exclusive here and there.

As far as optimization goes, the PS4 and Xbone are pretty much PCs due to their PC architecture they opted to go with to help with game development. This optimization argument holds no water, I'm tired of seeing it.
---
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperKing61
PSN - SuperKing602
#30HappyHippo04Posted 8/14/2014 9:18:23 AM
Exclusives exist to sell consoles. IIRC Sony directly owns the studio developing The Order and they themselves are publishing Bloodborne. They will never be on anything besides PS4 for that reason. Sony won't allow it.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408