This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok, this is a dumb question but it's related to steam..

#1szunegaPosted 8/13/2014 10:09:30 PM
Today it said that I reached the max number of items I can sell on the market,(172) and it said to post more, I need to prove i'm a U.S citizen or something.

Well...i'm from canada. I told steam the truth and said I was a Canadian citizen. And it was all like "k, you can post more." but now i'm concerned. Are they going to ban me or something now?

They also mentioned the IRS which kinda weirds me out. Am I gonna have guys at my door be all like "Hey remember when you sold that steam card for 12 cents? yeah well, we know about it. Time to get into the party van."

All jokes aside, does it matter if I am from the US or not?
---
The Wii and the NES had the most amount of shovelware ever.
#2dementedlullabyPosted 8/13/2014 10:14:19 PM(edited)
No it doesn't matter. I've sold a load of cards and am not in jail yet (Canada doesn't have a tax jail anyhow, they just garnish your wages). Someone else said it was 20k needed or something before you need to file anyway. Plus we are Canadian. The IRS has no jurisdiction over us =p.

I still think it's a little ludicrous to be honest. You aren't exchanging anything for money. You are exchanging for credit. There is no way to get the money off your account and on your paypal/in your bank account unless you start selling inventory items for paypal and that's just sketchy.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#3TimePharaohPosted 8/13/2014 10:15:46 PM
dementedlullaby posted...
No it doesn't matter. I've sold a load of cards and am not in jail yet (Canada doesn't have a tax jail anyhow, they just garnish your wages). Someone else said it was 20k needed or something before you need to file anyway. Plus we are Canadian. The IRS has no jurisdiction over us =p.

I still think it's a little ludicrous to be honest. You aren't exchanging anything for money. You are exchanging for credit. There is no way to get the money off your account and on your paypal/in your bank account unless you start selling inventory items for paypal and that's just sketchy.

-Implying jurisdiction matters to the US government
#4dementedlullabyPosted 8/13/2014 10:23:52 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

Are you trying to imply the IRS is going to arrest Canadian citizens for not filing a tax report with them? Which is literally impossible if you're a Canadian citizen?
---
#5TimePharaohPosted 8/13/2014 10:26:49 PM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...

Are you trying to imply the IRS is going to arrest Canadian citizens for not filing a tax report with them? Which is literally impossible if you're a Canadian citizen?

They can shut down the internet, spy on any type of communication (you're using in your country), arrest you in another country for breaking laws in the US, use fake warrants to seize your property in another country, freeze your international bank account, shut down your international website....

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.
#6dementedlullabyPosted 8/13/2014 10:27:50 PM
/tinfoilhat
---