This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Build: Help a Console Peasant

#1rx54Posted 8/13/2014 11:49:49 PM
So I've been thinking of getting a PC for quite some time now.
With all the big games coming out soon, and the 800 series, soon seems like a better time than ever.
However, I'm a control freak perfectionist who probably has OCD which makes getting a PC difficult. I feel like I need to know EVERYTHING and have a game plan for getting one.
It's overwhelming. So much to learn, so many options and choices...

Here's what I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Hunched/saved/TJmmP6
The 780 is only there to make the price more accurate to what it should be, I'm waiting for the 880.

While I think I'm capable, I have no experience or knowledge on PC stuff, I have never built or owned a PC, I have a laptop, I've always been a console gamer.
I'm trying to make a list of everything I need to do with the PC to have it gaming ready.

- I need to build it obviously, I don't know what tools I need, I need an anti static wrist thing
- I think ninite.com is all I need for all my programs
- I need to figure out how to overclock my CPU and GPU, I think people said MSI Afterburner for GPU
- I don't know what a good keyboard and mouse is, at all... All the cherry switch variants confuse me
- I'd like to have surround sound on PC, which may not happen. Astro MixAmp only works with Dolby, can't decode DTS :/

That's just off the top of my head, tip of the iceberg of questions.
Some things I should note, this PC is exclusively for gaming, I'll never go for SLI or multiple monitors, and I'm going for 1080p/60 high settings+ gaming. As a lifelong peasant, I see myself using a controller whenever possible still.
I don't even know if this is the best place to get the answers, maybe someone might even recommend me to a better forum for PC questions.

If you can provide any help at all, advice, even if it has nothing to do with anything I've said, it could be helpful. All and any help is greatly appreciated.
---
PSN - Hunched
Your posts are worthless because they are digital
#2jedinatPosted 8/13/2014 11:54:38 PM
1. You don't need static wrist things, thems for pansies.
2. You don't need to overclock. That's for enthusiasts (not necessarily gamers).
3. You don't need a fancy keyboard and any halfway decent mouse will do.
#3ThisGuy101Posted 8/14/2014 12:18:19 AM(edited)
For surround sound, you'll either need to purchase a Motherboard with an on-board Toslink port (my mobo has one, but it only supports AMD CPUs), or you need to get a sound card with Toslink.

Whichever you get, drivers will come with the CD that do surround sound.

Oh, and overclocking (especially on that rig) is unnecessary. So you won't need that cooler. Your money would be better spent on a standard I7.

Also, I've heard that those WD Blue HDDs have a high failure rate. I was gonna get one but was advised against it. Go with a Seagate Barracuda instead. It's actually a few bucks cheaper.

EDIT (again): That motherboard has a Toslink (digital optical) audio port on it. It'll do surround sound if you install the appropriate drivers. You're good on that front.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#4rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 12:24:43 AM(edited)
jedinat posted...
1. You don't need static wrist things, thems for pansies.
2. You don't need to overclock. That's for enthusiasts (not necessarily gamers).
3. You don't need a fancy keyboard and any halfway decent mouse will do.

I thought static shock was a risk that could permanently damage components? If I don't have the wrist thing, what is the best way to avoid that?
I'd also like to overclock if it isn't insanely complicated and gives me better performance.
I don't want a special keyboard that has 15 programmable macros or anything like that, I just want a good keyboard and a good mouse that aren't overpriced. I don't need a mouse with 15 buttons either, I'm not going to be a DOTA or LoL player.

ThisGuy101 posted...
For surround sound, you'll either need to purchase a Motherboard with an on-board Toslink port (my mobo has one, but it only supports AMD CPUs), or you need to get a sound card with Toslink.

Whichever you get, drivers will come with the CD that do surround sound.

Oh, and overclocking (especially on that rig) is unnecessary. So you won't need that cooler. Your money would be better spent on a standard I7.

EDIT (again): That motherboard has a Toslink (digital optical) audio port on it. It'll do surround sound if you install the appropriate drivers. You're good on that front.

I might have to look into an Asus sound card then if that's the case...
Everyone for the most part that I've seen says to overclock.
I also thought i7's were unnecessary for gaming, might be wrong on that one though.
Really? I can just get the motherboard to use Dolby Home Theater? That's awesome.

I feel odd questioning everyone that is trying to help me as if I know better, but I just want to make sure.
---
PSN - Hunched
#5SnadadosPosted 8/14/2014 12:26:15 AM
Tools - Phillips head screw driver.

Anti-static band - If you're building it outside the case first for a boot test it may not be a bad idea.
If you build it in the case from the get go it really isn't needed as you'll discharge any slight static you may have built up every time you touch the case and it is actually harder to NOT touch the case while building a PC.

Overclocking - Best thing is just to google your motherboard + Overclocking. If that doesn't give you anything replace the Z97 tag with Z87 and you should get something that is pretty much identical.

Mice - Logitech G400 or 502 are popular right now.

Keyboard - You'll get a different response from pretty much everyone you ask.
My advice would be to get a sampler kit of the various key types.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E71W4O8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=32SZ77DQRRNMN&coliid=I12EKY6CNNLJ5Q

Audio - I'm not familiar enough with current tech to make any recommendations. My setup is a decent enough receiver I got about 4 years ago and some big 3 feet tall speakers from the 80s.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#6ThisGuy101Posted 8/14/2014 12:31:33 AM
rx54 posted...
Really? I can just get the motherboard to use Dolby Home Theater? That's awesome.

Yessir, just make sure you set up all the audio drivers pertaining to that. And make sure you go into the audio driver settings (I have RealTek) and enable the DD. I thought mine wasn't working forever and was getting pissed, but it just turned out I had to enable it.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#7RagnarokxvPosted 8/14/2014 12:35:04 AM
That selection looks really good at first glance.

About the static shock issue, all you need to do is touch a piece of metal to ground yourself before handling the components, I usually touch a metal part on the case. The most likely part to be shocked is the memory and even then it is unlikely.

Your choice of a Corsair case is a good one, they are very convenient to build with, a lot of the installation is tool-less, and that model comes with an accessory kit which contains the tools you might need. Corsair anything is a good choice, their products are high quality and they have the best customer service in the industry.

Don't worry about overclocking. People tend to overclock for the sake of it rather than the necessity and the performance gains are not always worth the time and instability. You could always do it later on.

Keyboard and mouse, I go with logitech most of the time. Their stuff is decently priced and good quality.

Do you have a monitor?
---
Did I say that, or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me??
#8rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 12:48:14 AM(edited)
Ragnarokxv posted...
Do you have a monitor?

Yes, I have an Asus monitor, 1080p/60hz, it's what I use with my consoles.
Takes hdmi and displayport, I'm all good there I think.

From my understanding, isn't overclocking a GPU relatively simple compared to overclocking a CPU? I could just do the GPU. I've also read in other topics it may be worth it to get a better fan just because of how noisy some stock coolers can be, plus if I ever decide to figure out how to overclock the CPU in the future I don't need to buy anything else.
Still on the fence about that.

Thanks everyone for explaining the static issue for me, I guess I'll just not get the wrist band and touch the case frequently. Just the sound of accidentally frying the parts is scary lol.
Didn't want to destroy a multi-hundred dollar component cause I didn't buy a $5 wristband.
---
PSN - Hunched
#9ThisGuy101Posted 8/14/2014 1:15:47 AM
rx54 posted...
Ragnarokxv posted...
Do you have a monitor?

Yes, I have an Asus monitor, 1080p/60hz, it's what I use with my consoles.
Takes hdmi and displayport, I'm all good there I think.

From my understanding, isn't overclocking a GPU relatively simple compared to overclocking a CPU? I could just do the GPU. I've also read in other topics it may be worth it to get a better fan just because of how noisy some stock coolers can be, plus if I ever decide to figure out how to overclock the CPU in the future I don't need to buy anything else.
Still on the fence about that.

Thanks everyone for explaining the static issue for me, I guess I'll just not get the wrist band and touch the case frequently. Just the sound of accidentally frying the parts is scary lol.
Didn't want to destroy a multi-hundred dollar component cause I didn't buy a $5 wristband.

Getting the wrist band is up to you, dude. Don't let these guys convince you not to get it if you'd feel better while using it. It's not THEIR $100+ components that are at risk. I didn't use a wristband, but that was personal choice.

In the series Red Vs Blue, in one episode early on, Sarge is installing a voice module on a robot. One of the guys says something like "Sarge, shouldn't you ground yourself out before you mess with that so you don't fry the components?" To which Sarge replied "That's just a myth they made up to sell you those stupid bracelets."

A couple seconds later he fried the robot. It was a joke, but it can happen to your computer if you forget to tap the case. I'd say if you're working on carpet, DEFINITELY get one. If you're not, it's up to you. But don't let anyone tell you not to get one if you'd feel better working with one.

And in my experience, overclocking the GPU doesn't net me any significant performance gains. MSI afterburner came with my GPU, and it MIGHT improve FPS by 1-3 or so, but no more than that.
---
My first gaming rig
#10rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 1:40:35 AM
ThisGuy101 posted...
Getting the wrist band is up to you, dude. Don't let these guys convince you not to get it if you'd feel better while using it. It's not THEIR $100+ components that are at risk. I didn't use a wristband, but that was personal choice.

And in my experience, overclocking the GPU doesn't net me any significant performance gains. MSI afterburner came with my GPU, and it MIGHT improve FPS by 1-3 or so, but no more than that.

If I can just stay in contact with the case and be careful with what I'm doing, I'm hearing I will be fine, I'm good with that.

And not all GPU's overclock the same from what I know, some overclock better than others.
Also, if yours wasn't a reference card, chances are it was already overclocked to a degree, so there wouldn't be as much of a boost from that either.
If overclocking a GPU is as easy as using MSI Afterburner and running a benchmark tool to make sure it isn't doing anything wonky, I'll probably do that.
CPU overclocking seems a little more intensive from what I'm hearing, more can go wrong and less can be earned, and it's not as easy to do, so I might sit that one out until I know more, and am more comfortable with it.

I want as much performance as possible with doing anything dangerous basically.

And everyone seems to think my build is fine? I based a lot of my choices off of the highest ratings on the pcpartpicker site. If I followed the highest ratings for everything, I would have wound up with a Z87 instead of Z97 for example, because the latter is newer and hasn't had the chance to rack up the ratings. I only knew to get a Z97 board instead because while browsing GameFAQs people were suggesting another user switch to them because they are newer.
I realized the same thing with the 4690k instead of the 4670k.
---
PSN - Hunched