This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC Build: Help a Console Peasant

#11ThisGuy101Posted 8/14/2014 1:53:18 AM
rx54 posted...
ThisGuy101 posted...
Getting the wrist band is up to you, dude. Don't let these guys convince you not to get it if you'd feel better while using it. It's not THEIR $100+ components that are at risk. I didn't use a wristband, but that was personal choice.

And in my experience, overclocking the GPU doesn't net me any significant performance gains. MSI afterburner came with my GPU, and it MIGHT improve FPS by 1-3 or so, but no more than that.

If I can just stay in contact with the case and be careful with what I'm doing, I'm hearing I will be fine, I'm good with that.

And not all GPU's overclock the same from what I know, some overclock better than others.
Also, if yours wasn't a reference card, chances are it was already overclocked to a degree, so there wouldn't be as much of a boost from that either.
If overclocking a GPU is as easy as using MSI Afterburner and running a benchmark tool to make sure it isn't doing anything wonky, I'll probably do that.
CPU overclocking seems a little more intensive from what I'm hearing, more can go wrong and less can be earned, and it's not as easy to do, so I might sit that one out until I know more, and am more comfortable with it.

I want as much performance as possible with doing anything dangerous basically.

And everyone seems to think my build is fine? I based a lot of my choices off of the highest ratings on the pcpartpicker site. If I followed the highest ratings for everything, I would have wound up with a Z87 instead of Z97 for example, because the latter is newer and hasn't had the chance to rack up the ratings. I only knew to get a Z97 board instead because while browsing GameFAQs people were suggesting another user switch to them because they are newer.
I realized the same thing with the 4690k instead of the 4670k.

That's pretty much how I did my build. Set to sort by highest rating, then found a reasonably priced part. Built it, and ran it by a bunch of PC people to refine the build. It worked out pretty well, I'd say. I am upgrading the GPU. It's not a problem with the one I have now, because the 270x is just fine. I'm just upgrading to the 290x to futureproof for the next gen of games.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#12rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 6:27:02 AM(edited)
ThisGuy101 posted...
rx54 posted...
Everyone seems to think my build is fine? I based a lot of my choices off of the highest ratings on the pcpartpicker site. If I followed the highest ratings for everything, I would have wound up with a Z87 instead of Z97 for example, because the latter is newer and hasn't had the chance to rack up the ratings. I only knew to get a Z97 board instead because while browsing GameFAQs people were suggesting another user switch to them because they are newer.
I realized the same thing with the 4690k instead of the 4670k.

That's pretty much how I did my build. Set to sort by highest rating, then found a reasonably priced part. Built it, and ran it by a bunch of PC people to refine the build. It worked out pretty well, I'd say. I am upgrading the GPU. It's not a problem with the one I have now, because the 270x is just fine. I'm just upgrading to the 290x to futureproof for the next gen of games.

So either nobody cares to help me with that, or I just did really amazing creating my build, which surprises me lol.
I mean, you suggested I change the hard drive to a seagate, and that was it, I think.
---
PSN - Hunched
Your posts are worthless because they are digital
#13The cranky hermitPosted 8/14/2014 7:40:32 AM
Don't bother with the Astro MixAmp or TOSLink. PC games don't output Dolby Digital out of the box, and there are ways to get surround that are easier, better, or both.

I'm assuming you already have headphones that you use with the Astro MixAmp on consoles, and you just want to use those? Then make sure your sound card supports a "Virtual Surround" headset mode, and just plug the headphones into the computer with this mode turned on.

Better yet, get some real 5.1 speakers, and enjoy REAL surround. Or 5.1 headphones, and a closer approximation of surround than what downmixing can do.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#14KaiserWarriorPosted 8/14/2014 7:48:10 AM
You do not need a wrist strap, just some common sense with how to handle electronics. Always handle boards by the edges, not the silicon. Don't be doing it on carpet with socks on. Always touch the metal part of the case to discharge yourself before handling a component.

You do not need to be overclocking anything. In the first place, your first PC build is not the place to be messing around with voiding your warranties and potentially damaging your new hardware. In the second place, when you're getting top-end components, overclocking is a waste anyway -- overclocking is for getting second- or third-line components and bringing them up to near-top-end performance. In the third place, if your goal is only 1920x1080@60fps, you have absolutely no need whatsoever to be overclocking anything -- PC gaming surpassed those standards long ago.

You don't need to worry about mechanical keyboards unless you intend to be doing pro-level competitive gaming. Don't drop absurd amounts of money on a fancy mech keyboard with fancy cherry switches that you're not actually going to be getting any practical use out of. Just get a Logitech keyboard and mouse, and you'll be set.
#15Xtreme-VoidPosted 8/14/2014 7:53:13 AM
High end gaming rigs don't need overclock unless you want crazy score at 3d mark firestrike, mine beat the high end gaming PC score and I think that is enough.
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
i7 4790 | MSI GTX 780 Ti TF OC | 12 GB RAM | 3 TB HDD | Sony Bravia 40HX750 | Altec Lansing MX6021
#16rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:59:51 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
Don't bother with the Astro MixAmp or TOSLink. PC games don't output Dolby Digital out of the box, and there are ways to get surround that are easier, better, or both.

I'm assuming you already have headphones that you use with the Astro MixAmp on consoles, and you just want to use those? Then make sure your sound card supports a "Virtual Surround" headset mode, and just plug the headphones into the computer with this mode turned on.

Why wouldn't games support Dolby Home Theater if I downloaded all the drivers like "ThisGuy101" said? Almost all games support Dolby 5.1 on consoles...
I already own the Astro MixAmp and it simply turns a 5.1/7.1 Dolby signal into Dolby Headphone and works with anything plugged into it.

The thing with the sound card, is you can see in my build I wasn't planning on getting one, if the mobo can deliver Dolby.
---
PSN - Hunched
#17rx54(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 5:04:25 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
You do not need to be overclocking anything. In the first place, your first PC build is not the place to be messing around with voiding your warranties and potentially damaging your new hardware. In the second place, when you're getting top-end components, overclocking is a waste anyway -- overclocking is for getting second- or third-line components and bringing them up to near-top-end performance. In the third place, if your goal is only 1920x1080@60fps, you have absolutely no need whatsoever to be overclocking anything -- PC gaming surpassed those standards long ago.

You don't need to worry about mechanical keyboards unless you intend to be doing pro-level competitive gaming. Don't drop absurd amounts of money on a fancy mech keyboard with fancy cherry switches that you're not actually going to be getting any practical use out of. Just get a Logitech keyboard and mouse, and you'll be set.

Okay I suppose I won't overclock anything then, everyone is saying not to.

I'll just look into a normal keyboard as well too then, I wasn't sure what I needed keyboard wise and just assumed most or all PC gamers used mechanical.
---
PSN - Hunched
#18ThisGuy101Posted 8/14/2014 5:13:42 PM(edited)
The cranky hermit posted...

My PC outputs Dolby Digital via Toslink. I just had to enable it in the RealTek drivers. My receiver even says it's getting DD on the panel.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#19HighOnPhazonPosted 8/14/2014 5:11:30 PM
You don't need to overly concern yourself too much with the assembly aspect. It seems daunting at first but its really not. Just take your time. The most frustrating part for me was mounting the Evo 212 cooling fan to my CPU and applying the thermal paste before that.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#20HighOnPhazonPosted 8/14/2014 5:14:02 PM
BTW, build looks awesome so have fun man. I wish I was building again...:(
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650