This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the distance between this generation of consoles and PCs bigger this gen?

#11SonyHoundDawgPosted 8/14/2014 8:54:03 AM(edited)
Requiem posted...
At the current point, this gen consoles (PS4, Xbone) are probably superior to what an average PC gamer has.

Haha total rubbish if I everheard some. Anyone with a core 2 duo or better and a like a 560ti or better is better then the new consoles. Then people with amd 6300 or i3 to i7's are leagues above.

Yeah overall no doubt this the closest the gap will be, but once like Oct rolls around the first round of new video cards start coming out PC will be lightyears ahead again.
#12godplaysSNESPosted 8/14/2014 9:08:08 AM
SonyHoundDawg posted...
Requiem posted...
At the current point, this gen consoles (PS4, Xbone) are probably superior to what an average PC gamer has.

Haha total rubbish if I everheard some. Anyone with a core 2 duo or better and a like a 560ti or better is better then the new consoles. Then people with amd 6300 or i3 to i7's are leagues above.

Yeah overall no doubt this the closest the gap will be, but once like Oct rolls around the first round of new video cards start coming out PC will be lightyears ahead again.

That's a silly claim. Even on PC, the HD 7850 handily beats the GTX 560 Ti in almost every game. A Core 2 Duo is very bad for playing modern games, even a Core 2 Quad is becoming too slow.

For as long as both AMD and Nvidia are stuck with 28nm, people shouldn't expect huge improvements on the GPU front
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#13Xtreme-VoidPosted 8/14/2014 9:33:35 AM
Asellus posted...
shmirlywhirl posted...
jedinat posted...
LOLIAmAnAlt posted...
http://i.imgur.com/cIOnJdZ.jpg

That chart isn't as impressive as it should be, lol... whose idea was it to make the Y axis exponential...

Not to mention it cheats a bit by comparing $400 (or however much consoles cost these days) to the $1,000 Titan.

Not really as meaningful as it sounds. The Titan's a luxury product and priced accordingly, the only ones for whom it's ever really been an economical pick have been people who need a card uncrippled for professional rendering work (since nVidia normally doesn't like their gaming cards competing with their workstation cards and artificially weakens them there). For purely gaming purposes a GTX 780 offers 95% of the performance at 50% of the cost.

you forget 780 Ti with better performance than even Titan Black
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
i7 4790 | MSI GTX 780 Ti TF OC | 12 GB RAM | 3 TB HDD | Sony Bravia 40HX750 | Altec Lansing MX6021
#14Death_BornPosted 8/14/2014 10:23:01 AM
The distance is definitely bigger. Modern consoles can't even play games at 60 FPS and 1080p, which PCs were capable of many years ago. With the PS3 came out it was more powerful than most gaming PCs, but the PS4 is less powerful than the vast majority of new ones.
#15Richardthe3rdPosted 8/14/2014 10:29:04 AM
Requiem posted...

This post is basically hilarious.

Average PCs were already more powerful than either console the day they dropped.
---
Nintendo: Want me to buy a WiiU?
MAKE A NEW F-ZERO
#16TimePharaohPosted 8/14/2014 10:45:57 AM
Richardthe3rd posted...
Requiem posted...

Average PCs were already more powerful than either console the day they dropped.

I think you're confusing what the word average means
#17SinisterSlayPosted 8/14/2014 11:09:15 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Richardthe3rd posted...
Requiem posted...

I think you're confusing what the word average means

Yeah average PC's aren't even up to x360 graphics power yet.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#18Hi CPosted 8/14/2014 11:13:36 AM
Requiem posted...

Average PC maybe, average "PC Gamer" NO.
#19kobalobasileusPosted 8/14/2014 11:18:27 AM
For the moment, it takes a higher-end GPU to compete, but it won't stay that way for long.

And, really, if we want to be honest with ourselves, we should still be comparing GPU power to the Xbox 360 and PS3, since the XBONE and PS4 have so few games that aren't cross-generational.
#20Xtreme-VoidPosted 8/14/2014 11:20:51 AM
Hi C posted...
Requiem posted...

Average PC maybe, average "PC Gamer" NO.

this
the peasants keep dreaming that owning PS4 is elitist.
---
PC Gaming Rigs, PS3, PS VITA, PSP, 3DS
i7 4790 | MSI GTX 780 Ti TF OC | 12 GB RAM | 3 TB HDD | Sony Bravia 40HX750 | Altec Lansing MX6021