This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Come and give advice. I'm not a tech genius.

#1sanas_thirituPosted 8/14/2014 4:03:15 AM
I want to build a new PC by myself. I have a PC that I game on currently - an alienware laptop (m 17x r2) but it's old now and I think I'm overdue for an upgrade.

Because I gamed on that laptop, I need to buy everything including a monitor and keyboard as well. Also a mouse since I'm getting everything else, might as well get a new mouse.

I'll only use the system to game as there is nothing else I can do with a PC. I browse on my ipad. I also don't like people much so ill game a lot - so continuous operation required.

The specs of my current laptop are, i7 720qm, 8 gb ram and radeon hd 5870 gpu - crossfire. I have a new job so money is not much of an object.

I did some reading around and came up with this configuration below.

I7 4790 k
Asus pro z97 wifi motherboard
16 gb ram
1000 w cooler master v1000 psu
Corsair obsidian 750d case - or corsair graphite 780t?
Samsung 840 EVO 512 gb ssd
Corsair k 70 keyboard
Corsair h100i cooler
Corsair m65 mouse
LG 34um95 monitor
Some led fans

Two questions I have are
1. Which gpu? And how many? I know it's a stupid thing to say now, but I want this to run Crysis comfortably. The original Crysis. I was thinking of xfx r9 290 crossfire, but like I said, I'm generally pretty stupid with these things..
2. Are there better ideas regarding this build? I don't play much fps games but I drown my life with rpgs and total war games and the like.

Lastly, thank you for reading all this.
---
Monkeys and humans evolved from a common ancestor - xbox board.
Sanas_thiritu refuses to associate with monkeys. Creationism is the truth.
#2crawdadPosted 8/14/2014 4:10:56 AM
Budget wise, something like a 770 Will easily run the original Crysis and you can get them pretty cheap. Otherwise if you want something higher end, it might be worth waiting until the 800 series release.

I doubt you need that much RAM, especially if it's only for gaming. Same with that processor. PSU will be useful if you want to SLI/XFire.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will have better or more specific recommendations but that's my instant 2 cents.
---
"it was a slow go" - gmo7897. I'm an expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#3sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:42:17 AM
crawdad posted...
Budget wise, something like a 770 Will easily run the original Crysis and you can get them pretty cheap. Otherwise if you want something higher end, it might be worth waiting until the 800 series release.

I doubt you need that much RAM, especially if it's only for gaming. Same with that processor. PSU will be useful if you want to SLI/XFire.

I'm sure someone smarter than me will have better or more specific recommendations but that's my instant 2 cents.

Thanks.. but will a 770 push the game on the resolution of that lg 34um95 monitor? That is over hd I'm told..
---
#4crawdadPosted 8/14/2014 4:55:55 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
crawdad posted...

Thanks.. but will a 770 push the game on the resolution of that lg 34um95 monitor? That is over hd I'm told..

Ah I see, i didn't look at that.

So yes it's not only at Higher Resolutions at a whopping 3440x1440 (HD would be 1920x1080), but it's Ultra Wide. in these circumstances you'll want something with higher VRAM on top of a high End Card.

I would expect nothing less than 780Ti or Titan for that but again, i think someone smarter than me could give you a better recommendation.
---
"it was a slow go" - gmo7897. I'm an expert at the Monster Mash.
GT: Gojirra | PSN: Gojirra102 | steamcommunity.com/id/crawdad
#5LvthnPosted 8/14/2014 4:59:13 AM
I have that exact monitor.

No, a 770 will not push anything on that monitor. I use two 780s, will max most games except antialiasing, and can even get 2x MSAA on some games (Far Cry 3 for example). If you really plan to play Crysis-level FPS on it, you will definitely need two GPUs, I sorta doubt you're thinking about investing in that monitor so you can run on low-mid settings. On a single GPU, you'll be able to play games a few years old no problem of course, but modern games tend to chug, especially FPS.

If I were you, I'd go for a pair of 780 6GB. VRAM normally isn't a big issue at 3440x1440, BUT, you don't want to cut yourself short on that and that's definitely in the range where more VRAM can matter. But I'm a dirty NVidia fanboy.
#6sanas_thiritu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 5:48:26 AM
Lvthn posted...

No, a 770 will not push anything on that monitor. I use two 780s, will max most games except antialiasing, and can even get 2x MSAA on some games (Far Cry 3 for example). If you really plan to play Crysis-level FPS on it, you will definitely need two GPUs, I sorta doubt you're thinking about investing in that monitor so you can run on low-mid settings. On a single GPU, you'll be able to play games a few years old no problem of course, but modern games tend to chug, especially FPS.

If I were you, I'd go for a pair of 780 6GB. VRAM normally isn't a big issue at 3440x1440, BUT, you don't want to cut yourself short on that and that's definitely in the range where more VRAM can matter. But I'm a dirty NVidia fanboy.

Very interesting that you mention pair of 780 6 gb - not the normal 780 3 gb.

If I use two 3 gb 780 then I should have 6 gb total no? Two of those 6 gb cards will give me a whopping 12 gb vram! !. Does this resolution need so much?

Also what about two r9 290 ?
---
#7almightydunPosted 8/14/2014 6:16:16 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
Lvthn posted...

If I use two 3 gb 780 then I should have 6 gb total no? Two of those 6 gb cards will give me a whopping 12 gb vram! !. Does this resolution need so much?

I'm no expert but I'm almost 99.9% sure VRAM doesn't work that way. 2 6GB cards will only have 6GB total VRAM to work with as the data is duplicated between the cards. The setup just allows for faster processing.

And I would imagine 2 290x's would do pretty good as well.
---
DO NOT BE ASHAMED FOR PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.
Embrace the experience and share it with everyone you can.
#8LvthnPosted 8/14/2014 6:24:20 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...
Lvthn posted...

VRAM is not additive. A pair of 3GB cards will have 3GB VRAM available, they must mirror VRAM and can only split GPU load. Don't get me wrong, 3GB will handle most everything out there even at this resolution, but 6GB is the more prudent choice.

Sure, 290 ought to work too. Like I said, I lean towards NVidia cards myself, but by all accounts top of the line AMD cards should handle this much the same. Same criteria apply, you will want a pair of cards. There are dual GPU cards from both NVidia and AMD but those are actually way more expensive than doing SLI/Xfire yourself and with very little benefit if any.