This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Control schemes that are worse than the standard, but still make sense on PC.

#1GraviteerPosted 8/14/2014 2:16:54 PM
To me, a control scheme that still makes sense consists of a keyboard and mouse combo that isn't like FPS moving and looking. Instead, you move around with tank controls, by holding the WASD keys, and select movement speeds with the mouse wheel. The faster you move, the tighter steering gets. The left and right buttons on the mouse are used for main and secondary actions, and you can move the cursor around to interact with menus and the environment.
---
When authors create they sign.
When editors hack they design.
#2PhilOnDezPosted 8/14/2014 2:31:35 PM
WoW's controls were pretty good with just a touch of tweaking. wasdqe was still pretty standard run/turn/strafe but you didn't really use them, at least I didn't unless I was healing. Left click would let you move the camera, right click locked your character's orientation to the camera, both moved your character forward and let you turn as fast/slow as you wanted. I rebound A and D to strafe and left S as backwards.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#3RoboXgp89Posted 8/14/2014 4:08:04 PM
I switch 'a' and 'd' on the keyboard

I also play inverted with the mouse because on game console it just gets way to confusing with 3rd person games
#4Graviteer(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:51:28 PM
Do you guys think it's harder to play Mech Warrior in FPView? I know I prefer to follow the mech from a third person perspective, specially because it's easier to know where it's walking and where the torso is facing. The whole torso rotation independent from tank movement is very cool!
---
When authors create they sign.
When editors hack they design.
#5RoboXgp89Posted 8/14/2014 8:19:14 PM
Well nintendo has a mech warrior game for wii u coming out that's about sumo wrestling robots

so yeah...
#6SteamsterPosted 8/14/2014 9:42:57 PM
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2416111690
#7AsucaHayashiPosted 8/14/2014 11:13:39 PM
in 2d games that use arrow keys for movement i always cross my hands(so left controls movement and right controls actions).

rebinding everything is just a hassle at this point.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#8That1GuyyPosted 8/15/2014 12:59:30 AM
I always played MechWarrior 4 in first person view with a joystick. I even turned force feedback on, which, while sort of a nuisance, made the game all the more immersive and enjoyable.

The controls I use for Doom are kind of silly now that source ports let you use mice, but I play with WASD for four directional movement and left and right arrows for turning. I don't think I'll ever play Doom with a mouse.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#9YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/15/2014 2:12:42 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...
in 2d games that use arrow keys for movement i always cross my hands(so left controls movement and right controls actions).

rebinding everything is just a hassle at this point.

I just refuse to play those games. If someone can't look at modern control schemes when programming their game and don't allow rebinding, I'm just not gonna play. If I know something's bad ahead of time, I'll just go and plug my PS3 pad in, but if something catches me off guard I'll just find something else.

As for weird controls. Well, FEAR's controls would be considered weird now. Right click to melee, I think zoom was bound to Ctrl. And if we include consoles, Bumper Jumper is an odd but rather nice, control scheme for Halo which allows you to aim and jump at the same time, similar to the control scheme for Unreal Tournament on the Dreamcast.

Also, Unreal Tournament on the dreamcast. Left stick moved forward and back and aimed left to right. X and B strafed you sideways while Y and A aimed up and down. Left trigger to jump, right trigger to shoot. Left and Right on the DPad to change weapons, up on the dpad to alt-fire.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#10SinisterSlayPosted 8/15/2014 6:13:51 AM
Control schemes don't bother me anymore. They used to but now they come in so many variations that it doesn't bother me anymore. I just adapt.
Although I did change archeblade to have mappings similar to rakion and that gave me a huge boost to my skill level.
But trying to compare cod to x3:tc where every key, shift + key, control + key is used for something?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence