This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

PC sometimes acting strange during shutdown and boot up

#1rdking96Posted 8/14/2014 2:35:02 PM
So I built my first computer about 4-6 weeks ago. Overall it's been running great except for one issue which seems to happen every now and then.

When shutting down the computer, it sometimes takes anywhere from 3-5 minutes for the computer to shut down. Windows shows the shut down screen then disappears, and the monitor goes into sleep mode as if the computer's off, yet the computer is still chugging away for another 5 minutes. Oftentimes, when booting the computer up after this, I get a windows loading screen and then instead of a welcome screen the screen goes black and all I can see is my mouse icon.

Note, the computer shuts down and boots up properly ~95% of the time. Shut down time is between 2-5 seconds and start up time is between 3-8 seconds (I have a SSD so it's usually really fast).

Not sure if this is related, but twice now my computer has randomly turned itself on...

What would be causing these strange issues? Is it the SSD or the CPU? Should I reinstall windows?

Note, I am using Windows 8.1 on an intel i5. Specs are in my sig if that helps.
---
i5 4690k | Asus GTX 770 | 8 GB Ballstix | AsRock Z97 Extreme4 |
Steam:The Sticky Emu | 360: The Sticky Emu | PS3/4: Cugabuh
#2nicnac_390Posted 8/14/2014 3:40:25 PM
I recently built a computer as well. The other day I was trying to shut down but instead my computer would hang on a black screen. Tried to shut down again and same thing. I disabled "fast startup" and so far no problems, but I've only had my pc for a couple weeks. Apparently some weird things can happen if that setting is on but I'm not sure if it's your problem.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-restart-and-shutdown-problems-by-disabling-hybrid-shutdown-feature/
#3rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:28:44 PM
nicnac_390 posted...
I recently built a computer as well. The other day I was trying to shut down but instead my computer would hang on a black screen. Tried to shut down again and same thing. I disabled "fast startup" and so far no problems, but I've only had my pc for a couple weeks. Apparently some weird things can happen if that setting is on but I'm not sure if it's your problem.

http://www.askvg.com/fix-windows-8-restart-and-shutdown-problems-by-disabling-hybrid-shutdown-feature/

Thanks - just changed the setting. Hoping this solves what's not a major issue but rather a nuisance. It also had/has me concerned that certain things will be affected since I'm not shutting down the computer properly.
---
#4Cool_Dude667Posted 8/14/2014 4:35:55 PM
Grab a Windows 7 licence
---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#5ORANGE666Posted 8/15/2014 2:25:47 AM
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Grab a Windows 7 licence

Op basically admitting to pirating his os
---
I am a Nintendo Fanboy and let me tell you, being a Drone is actually a great thing.
We have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like other fanboys
#6rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 6:12:43 AM
ORANGE666 posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Grab a Windows 7 licence

Actually have a completely legit copy of Windows 8 but thanks for jumping to conclusions!
---
#7Killah PriestPosted 8/15/2014 6:13:30 AM
windows update auto updates?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#8ShubPosted 8/15/2014 7:16:45 AM
rdking96 posted...
Not sure if this is related, but twice now my computer has randomly turned itself on...

What would be causing these strange issues? Is it the SSD or the CPU? Should I reinstall windows?

Based on your description, it's far more likely to be a motherboard issue, or very remotely possibly the PSU...

ORANGE666 posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Grab a Windows 7 licence

WTF would you even get that notion from?
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9rdking96(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 3:25:27 PM
Shub posted...
rdking96 posted...

Based on your description, it's far more likely to be a motherboard issue, or very remotely possibly the PSU...

ORANGE666 posted...
Cool_Dude667 posted...
Grab a Windows 7 licence

WTF would you even get that notion from?

Would it be something related to the installation itself, or just a faulty motherboard that should be returned. I do fortunately have a warranty if that's the case. Probably won't bother since it is happening so rarely, but I'm just curious...
---
#10ShubPosted 8/15/2014 3:29:50 PM
I can't say, however if you take your motherboard out of the case and run the computer, say, out of the motherboard's original cardboard box, for a while until the issue occurs, then it's probably a faulty motherboard rather than a bad installation. Troubleshooting can be a pain in the rear in those cases.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.