This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Console Gamer Migrating To PC. I Have Questions.

#1golden85354Posted 8/14/2014 3:33:00 PM
Hello. I Am Thinking Of Becoming A Member Of The ''PC Master Race''. Now, I Have NO Idea How To Upgrade A PC. So I Wanted To Ask You Guys A Few Questions.
Is My Hardware Powerful Enough? Ive Been Thinking Off buying Rise of the tomb raider for pc. I Own A Windows HP ENVY 23 TouchSmart PC With Windows 8.1. Here Are My Specs, Based On What My Computer Tells Me.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2130 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40GHz
Installed Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB (3.86 GB Usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64 Based Processor
Pen And Touch: Full Windows Touch Support With 10 Touch Points

Now, Is My PC Powerful Enough To Play Games That Are Currently Out?
How Long Before I Need To Upgrade? (Is It True You Need To Upgrade Often?)
How Do I Upgrade Exactly? Im Not Too Tech Savvy... Do I Need To Take Stuff Apart?
Thanks For The Help.
#2DetectiveZPosted 8/14/2014 3:38:17 PM
First off, I don't recommend upgrading a laptop. The parts are extremely hard to find. (If you can find them at all.) and they can't put the same amount of power a desktop gives.

About your build, I'm assuming your running on an integrated graphics card. The bad news is that your PC may only be able to play low, maybe medium settings. I don't think you'll get that great FPS on it. Seeing that it's also an HP computer, it'll most likely suffer from overheating problems which will slow down your games.

You may want to build a brand new PC rather then game on the laptop you currently have.
A common saying I've heard is that you should upgrade a part every 2 years or so. You don't have to though.

If you want a PC game that can run at 1080p with 60fps, you might want to fork over 1000-1200$

reddit.com/r/buildapc can help you with building your PC.
---
3DS FC: 1504-5928-8042
Krabby, Poliwhirl and Floatzel
#3TropicMoon10Posted 8/14/2014 3:42:53 PM(edited)
Not to derail, but I find it very hard to read paragraphs when every word has the first letter uppercased.

Also you're not going to do any hardcore gaming without a dedicated video card.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#4Death_BornPosted 8/14/2014 3:49:27 PM(edited)
If you really need a laptop, then you will have to build or buy a new desktop to play PC games. If you just use it as a desktop replacement, then you should sell your laptop on Ebay and build or purchase a desktop.

Laptops are nearly impossible to upgrade or modify, and you don't have a gaming laptop so most games won't work on it. You will want a desktop with a good graphics card, a lot of RAM and a good CPU (like Intel i5).

It's likely that a good gaming PC will cost about $1000 (though you can get more powerful parts if you build it yourself).
#5ChickenAndJuicePosted 8/14/2014 3:47:42 PM
Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't available for the PC, smart one
#6golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:39:19 PM
DetectiveZ posted...
First off, I don't recommend upgrading a laptop. The parts are extremely hard to find. (If you can find them at all.) and they can't put the same amount of power a desktop gives.

About your build, I'm assuming your running on an integrated graphics card. The bad news is that your PC may only be able to play low, maybe medium settings. I don't think you'll get that great FPS on it. Seeing that it's also an HP computer, it'll most likely suffer from overheating problems which will slow down your games.

You may want to build a brand new PC rather then game on the laptop you currently have.
A common saying I've heard is that you should upgrade a part every 2 years or so. You don't have to though.

If you want a PC game that can run at 1080p with 60fps, you might want to fork over 1000-1200$

reddit.com/r/buildapc can help you with building your PC.

http://www.ourkidsmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HPTouchSmart1.jpg
this isn't a laptop. I knew I should of put this up. this is my pc
#7golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:40:05 PM
Death_Born posted...
If you really need a laptop, then you will have to build or buy a new desktop to play PC games. If you just use it as a desktop replacement, then you should sell your laptop on Ebay and build or purchase a desktop.

Laptops are nearly impossible to upgrade or modify, and you don't have a gaming laptop so most games won't work on it. You will want a desktop with a good graphics card, a lot of RAM and a good CPU (like Intel i5).

It's likely that a good gaming PC will cost about $1000 (though you can get more powerful parts if you build it yourself).

http://www.ourkidsmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HPTouchSmart1.jpg this is my pc. this is the one I have
#8golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 4:40:21 PM
ChickenAndJuice posted...
Rise of the Tomb Raider isn't available for the PC, smart one

isn't it coming to pc?
#9LvthnPosted 8/14/2014 4:51:37 PM
That's not going to be upgradable in any meaningful way. It really may as well be a laptop so far as that's concerned. Not that you'd want to, the ventilation on it would be a real issue and usually is anyway.

It can play non-3D games, most likely. Probably run LoL, though not great, will run 2D and indie games just fine for the most part.

It's possible to upgrade some prebuilts but it's generally helpful if they at least have a standard tower.
#10golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 5:04:52 PM
Lvthn posted...
That's not going to be upgradable in any meaningful way. It really may as well be a laptop so far as that's concerned. Not that you'd want to, the ventilation on it would be a real issue and usually is anyway.

It can play non-3D games, most likely. Probably run LoL, though not great, will run 2D and indie games just fine for the most part.

It's possible to upgrade some prebuilts but it's generally helpful if they at least have a standard tower.

it doesn't overheat at all.. that's not an issue