This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Console Gamer Migrating To PC. I Have Questions.

#11golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 5:26:53 PM
bump
#12DV8ingSourcesPosted 8/14/2014 5:43:03 PM
golden85354 posted...
bump

You can't upgrade that in any meaningful way. The reason most of us have those bigger towers is because it provides easy access to upgrades. Your pc is likely just a laptop motherboard and screen mixed together which means it won't have removable hardware like a desktop computer would. The most important parts for gaming are the cpu and gpu. Any gaming quality gpu will be for a desktop or built directly into an expensive gaming laptop.

RAM is important but think of it more like a water tank. Everything needs water and having a bigger tank is great if you want everything to drink at the same time. However, having a big tank isn't required if you only plan on having a couple items available at the same time. (Sweet spot is still around 8GB for now)

CPU is the brain of the machine. Its speed is important but its architecture is more important. So just because you see 3.2ghz on one CPU and 2.8ghz on another doesn't necessarily mean that the first is faster (although it could be). How many cores a cpu can also have a big effect on the programs that utilize them properly. Luckily gaming in general isn't too core heavy yet and a 4 core is still plenty sufficient.

GPU... if the cpu is the brain of a gaming machine, the gpu is the muscle system. This is probably the most important component in a gaming system but only if it isn't being held back by other ancient hardware. This component basically determines what graphics settings you can turn up, what frames per second you can achieve, and the ideal resolution you can play at.

Your computer can't have the CPU or GPU upgraded. Those are the two most important components for gaming. You need a new computer if you aren't satisfied with its performance.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#13golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 6:08:00 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
golden85354 posted...
bump

You can't upgrade that in any meaningful way. The reason most of us have those bigger towers is because it provides easy access to upgrades. Your pc is likely just a laptop motherboard and screen mixed together which means it won't have removable hardware like a desktop computer would. The most important parts for gaming are the cpu and gpu. Any gaming quality gpu will be for a desktop or built directly into an expensive gaming laptop.

RAM is important but think of it more like a water tank. Everything needs water and having a bigger tank is great if you want everything to drink at the same time. However, having a big tank isn't required if you only plan on having a couple items available at the same time. (Sweet spot is still around 8GB for now)

CPU is the brain of the machine. Its speed is important but its architecture is more important. So just because you see 3.2ghz on one CPU and 2.8ghz on another doesn't necessarily mean that the first is faster (although it could be). How many cores a cpu can also have a big effect on the programs that utilize them properly. Luckily gaming in general isn't too core heavy yet and a 4 core is still plenty sufficient.

GPU... if the cpu is the brain of a gaming machine, the gpu is the muscle system. This is probably the most important component in a gaming system but only if it isn't being held back by other ancient hardware. This component basically determines what graphics settings you can turn up, what frames per second you can achieve, and the ideal resolution you can play at.

Your computer can't have the CPU or GPU upgraded. Those are the two most important components for gaming. You need a new computer if you aren't satisfied with its performance.

since I cant upgrade..... what games can I play on it as of now?
#14DV8ingSourcesPosted 8/14/2014 6:19:59 PM
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-Sandy-Bridge.56667.0.html

Check the bottom for some games and expected performance... It's not good and a 360/ps3 definitely outclasses your pc for gaming.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB RAM | 770 + 670 physx | 256 SSD | 8TB HDD | Win 8.1 64bit | ax1200w | CM690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#15LvthnPosted 8/14/2014 6:21:22 PM
golden85354 posted...

Lvthn posted...
It can play non-3D games, most likely. Probably run LoL, though not great, will run 2D and indie games just fine for the most part.

I know it's not a pleasant answer but that's about it. Integrated graphics will run things that really don't depend on 3D rendering. Probably someone will tell you it will run x game at some particularly low settings, and that's maybe even possible, but if you want to find out I wasn't lying about ventilation and temperatures, that's a great way to do it.

Before you despair - building a custom PC is a lot cheaper and easier than you likely think. Look into it, you might be pleasantly surprised.
#16golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 6:59:59 PM
Lvthn posted...
golden85354 posted...

Lvthn posted...
It can play non-3D games, most likely. Probably run LoL, though not great, will run 2D and indie games just fine for the most part.

I know it's not a pleasant answer but that's about it. Integrated graphics will run things that really don't depend on 3D rendering. Probably someone will tell you it will run x game at some particularly low settings, and that's maybe even possible, but if you want to find out I wasn't lying about ventilation and temperatures, that's a great way to do it.

Before you despair - building a custom PC is a lot cheaper and easier than you likely think. Look into it, you might be pleasantly surprised.

really now? im interested.... whats the best desktop I can get for around $600 max?
#17golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 7:01:20 PM
Lvthn posted...
golden85354 posted...

Lvthn posted...

I have no idea how to build a pc..... :(. I wanna join the master race!
#18BIastPosted 8/14/2014 7:05:45 PM
golden85354 posted...
Lvthn posted...
golden85354 posted...

Lvthn posted...

I have no idea how to build a pc..... :(. I wanna join the master race!

youtubeeeeeee.

I built my first one last year. Watch youtube videos for like an hour and you'll be an expert. Putting the actual thing together is like lego; it all clicks in place.
---
3DS FC: 4038-7408-0876
#19phantasyPosted 8/14/2014 7:06:13 PM
golden85354 posted...

really now? im interested.... whats the best desktop I can get for around $600 max?

if you not willing to build, a ps4 and some games is the best "pc" you can buy. If you willing to build probably this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MOAN005Fvw

its $500 but you will need to spend $100 for the os.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#20golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2014 7:08:09 PM
phantasy posted...
golden85354 posted...

if you not willing to build, a ps4 and some games is the best "pc" you can buy. If you willing to build probably this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MOAN005Fvw

its $500 but you will need to spend $100 for the os.

really? that cheap!? how long will it last before its outdated?