This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some upgrading questions...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Some upgrading questions...

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
2 years ago#1
1. What is the present-day equivalent of an Intel Core i5 750 from 2009? It was an upper mid-range processor (it was the original CPU to bear the name "Core i5") back in its day and ran about $200 or so. Going by that I would guess the Core i5 4670 is the equivalent tier 750 of 2014.

2. When does RAM become outdated? I was thinking of carrying over the 8GB of DDR3 1066 RAM I've got.

3. I guess I'm also looking for a GPU that's roughly in the performance bracket of a Radeon HD 6870. I was thinking the GTX 760. Found a nice one from EVGA that runs about $310.
The PC is NEVER, EVER getting GTA5!!
*Golden face about to laugh.*

User Info: foodeater4

foodeater4
2 years ago#2
1. Yes a 4670K is probably what you want. Its an unlocked processor and youll be able to overlclock if you wish. I think a slight refresh of the chip just came out recently.

2. ddr3 is still the standard so you probably can use it. Make sure your mother board supports it.

3. A gtx 760 is a great mid range card, maybe people consider it the best bang for your buck. EVGA is also a great brand. That does sound a bit expensive though, you looking at the 4GB model?

Solid Sonic
2 years ago#3
1. Good to know.

2. The specific motherboard I was looking at goes down to DDR3 1333 but I don't see why it wouldn't read in a 1066 module (I intend to try to overclock it anyway to edge out a little performance once it's in its new home).

3. Yes.

Solid Sonic
2 years ago#4
Time for a new round:

Is the S-class (4690S) a good buy?
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Some upgrading questions...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived