This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Best IPS monitor for gaming with ~$400 budget?

#11myztikricePosted 8/15/2014 11:44:27 AM
Are all 24" monitors just 23.8 nowadays?
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#12ElChosenHombrePosted 8/15/2014 1:48:03 PM
keyweez360 posted...
Had a TN for years, thinking it's time I upgrade. I've tried high refresh monitors in the past, but feel I might see a bigger difference going IPS.

Don't really want to spend more than $400 unless there's an amazing value to be had. I don't have the input lag needs of a professional gamer, but being for gaming I'd hope to not notice any big delay.

Suggestions?

I actually got a Asus 144hz recently. It's ok. In retrospect I'd probably be happier with a IPS or PLS. Dell is supposed to be good, and I've always liked Asus. Have you heard of the Eizo monitors? Kinda pricey...
#13ElChosenHombrePosted 8/15/2014 8:49:42 PM
Here is the monitor I was talking about, I can't afford it but it looks great for gaming and its IPS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1E31965&cm_re=IPS-_-24-136-117-_-Product
#14gunner967Posted 8/15/2014 9:05:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-MX239H-23-Inch-LED-backlit-Frameless/dp/B00B1IAL7W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408161849&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+mx239h

I own one and can't praise it enough. Only $200, excellent colors, no response time/input lag issues. The only issues are that the stand can be kinda wobbly and the menu buttons are oversensitive and annoying.
---
XBL A Killing Pie~PSN A_Killing_Pie~Steam Scooby Doo
"I'm going to put my quantum harmonizer in your photonic resonation chamber!"
#15YaLikeDagsPosted 8/16/2014 12:35:43 AM
Have you considered the "imperfect" Korean panels? Its a bit risky but you may be able to find an amazing deal. I believe QNIX is one of the brands.
---
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
I like Caravans more.
#16AcquirePosted 8/16/2014 12:57:16 AM
Hard to recommend without knowing your gpu preference. If you have nvidia I'd recommend to take into consideration g-sync. You can get the ASUS VG248QE with g-sync for $500.

If you don't care about that then $400 really isn't needed for 1080p IPS. You can get a good IPS 24" monitor for the $200 range at that resolution. You can also start looking at cheap higher resolution monitor options.

I have two Qnix 2560x1440 PLS monitors. They're ugly, bulky, come with terrible stands, and have limited inputs. One of them has bad back light bleed, but the other has great picture quality. Having seen g-sync in person though, I plan on replacing them with Asus' new PG278Q monitor.
---
Thrive on change. Embrace volatility.
#17keyweez360(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 1:14:40 AM(edited)
Acquire posted...
Hard to recommend without knowing your gpu preference. If you have nvidia I'd recommend to take into consideration g-sync. You can get the ASUS VG248QE with g-sync for $500.

If you don't care about that then $400 really isn't needed for 1080p IPS. You can get a good IPS 24" monitor for the $200 range at that resolution. You can also start looking at cheap higher resolution monitor options.

I have two Qnix 2560x1440 PLS monitors. They're ugly, bulky, come with terrible stands, and have limited inputs. One of them has bad back light bleed, but the other has great picture quality. Having seen g-sync in person though, I plan on replacing them with Asus' new PG278Q monitor.

My apologies. I do have a preference for Nvidia. I currently run a 670 ftw, and was thinking I might upgrade to the 800 series if it releases in October as I've heard. I was originally going into this monitor shopping intent on 1080p due to my current GPU, but if I do end up buying into the 800 series or at least the higher 700 series, I might be able to enjoy the higher resolution.

Friend of mine actually has the VG248QE (without G-Sync) and while I love the smooth motion of it, the colors and especially the viewing angles were bothersome to me. Not writing off TN panels entirely though as I have heard that's a particularly bad one in those two regards.

Never had experience with G-Sync but heard nothing but great things. I know it's out of my budget but I have seen only positive buzz surrounding the PG278Q you mentioned. Supposed to have good color and viewing angles for a TN. If that ended up being worth it, I'd maybe make the budget stretch, but damn that's a hefty price...
---
XBL/PSN: GOV3RNATER
#18YaLikeDagsPosted 8/16/2014 7:51:54 AM
The PG278Q may just be the gaming TN to rule them all, but for $800 how could it not be!

Really though, you might still not get the colors or viewing angles you're after, but all the other features might seriously overwhelm the shortcomings. If you want to pay that is.
---
=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#
I like Caravans more.
#19keyweez360(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 4:48:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Any more is welcome. More interested than I probably should be in that rog monitor now.
---
XBL/PSN: GOV3RNATER