This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Cant Consoles Catch Up To PC?

#1golden85354Posted 8/15/2014 1:25:29 AM
Seriously. Why Are Our Consoles Supposedly Lagging Behind? And Whats The Appeal Of PC Exactly Besides Graphics?
#2TimePharaohPosted 8/15/2014 1:26:40 AM
Is this the new thing? You're just going to make terrible topics all day? Go back to your farm peasant you've overstayed your welcome.
#3That1GuyyPosted 8/15/2014 1:30:34 AM
Microsoft and Sony sell their consoles by making them affordable. A $1000 console that uses top of the line hardware at release is not affordable. Note that even at their $400 price point now, the new consoles are being sold at a loss. And there's also the fact to consider that new PC hardware gets released every year. Consoles must remain uniform, so years later they must still use the same hardware they released with. Which means they can't advance.

The appeal of developing on PC is the freedom it entails. The appeal of gaming on PC are the PC exclusive games and the PC exclusive features for multi-platform games, such as modding or keyboard and mouse support.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#4Garage_ManPosted 8/15/2014 1:33:06 AM
Get a PC and find out. Honestly PC/PS4/Vita and you are covered for 99.9% of the good stuff.

Vita gets all my indie use (trust me the hit on graphics is worth it) and its library of PS1/psp/crrraaazzzyyyy amount of new games released all the time. Most use of all my systems combined.

PS4 nets you all of Sony's exclusive games which I wouldn't miss out on...not for the cost of a 1tb ssd. Some third party games where I feel the graphics aren't worth dealing with turning on my computer...logging into Windows..opening steam.

Anyways PC for third party where the differences are going to be major...cough Dragon age and witcher 3. Also mods.....oh the mods that can make a boring game like skyrim amazing. I have 130ish games for my PC with 115 of those all big budget AAA....paid like 300 bucks..insane value.
#5SpazH3dPosted 8/15/2014 1:34:56 AM
Why do you capitalize every word?

The reason is that consoles get set hardware and will have to last an entire console cycle/cyclus. So even if the consoles are top of the line when they come out, new hardware will surely come out after a few weeks... hence the consoles having outdated hardware. Simple.

PC gaming has more options for suiting your specific needs. Also modding. Modding can change a game into something entirely else.
---
- My vision is augmented
#6KamenRiderBladePosted 8/15/2014 1:42:08 AM(edited)
Both console makers decided to minimize cost going out the gate unlike last gen.

Ergo the hit in specs to become profitable early.

The console hardware model of taking a hit for a while and making money back on sales in software units has led to massive financial losses for some if not both.

So now both sides took the opposite end of hardware decision, pick lower end hardware at launch and do some modifications and then release it as a console.

They are mostly PC hardware this time around with far fewer differences than previous generations.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#7Jedi454Posted 8/15/2014 1:41:57 AM
He must have saw my topic and got a bit torn.
#8ClouddxPosted 8/15/2014 1:42:53 AM
That1Guyy posted...
Microsoft and Sony sell their consoles by making them affordable. A $1000 console that uses top of the line hardware at release is not affordable. Note that even at their $400 price point now, the new consoles are being sold at a loss. And there's also the fact to consider that new PC hardware gets released every year. Consoles must remain uniform, so years later they must still use the same hardware they released with. Which means they can't advance.

The appeal of developing on PC is the freedom it entails. The appeal of gaming on PC are the PC exclusive games and the PC exclusive features for multi-platform games, such as modding or keyboard and mouse support.

Honestly you can build a $400 PC that runs games better than both new Consoles. So I don't see how they can be taking a loss when selling Consoles that don't even match a $400 PC.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#9That1GuyyPosted 8/15/2014 1:45:40 AM
Somehow I get the feeling your $400 PC requires you to already have an operating system, keyboard and mouse, and possibly even a hard drive. And you can't buy it whenever you want because you have to wait for sales.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#10golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 1:51:32 AM
Jedi454 posted...
He must have saw my topic and got a bit torn.

what topic?