This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Cant Consoles Catch Up To PC?

#11golden85354(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2014 12:51:54 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Is this the new thing? You're just going to make terrible topics all day? Go back to your farm peasant you've overstayed your welcome.

nope. im part of the master race now. just joined recently
#12ClouddxPosted 8/15/2014 12:55:48 AM(edited)
That1Guyy posted...
Somehow I get the feeling your $400 PC requires you to already have an operating system, keyboard and mouse, and possibly even a hard drive. And you can't buy it whenever you want because you have to wait for sales.

Just the OS and Keyboard+Mouse. W/ the OS it would cost ~$470. It has a 1tb HDD 7200RPM.

Well, the items I chose aren't really on sale. SO if you do get them on sale you're looking at an even cheaper PC. The system performs extremely well even on games like Metro: Last Light on Very High settings.

Anyways, just think of it like this. You're paying for the OS instead of paying for Xbox Live or PS+.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#13TimePharaohPosted 8/15/2014 12:52:54 AM
golden85354 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Is this the new thing? You're just going to make terrible topics all day? Go back to your farm peasant you've overstayed your welcome.

No...you're not.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69855549
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/69856356
#14YoungAdultLinkPosted 8/15/2014 1:05:03 AM
Last console generation lasted 8 years. New graphics cards release every 8-18 months and double in strength every few years. This wasn't a problem in the 90s, when PCs lacked 3d graphics acceleration and had to brute force render via the CPU. Now that we have dedicated hardware handling it, a system which has to remain static for at least 6 years has no chance to keep up and maintain nearly the same performance.

That's not even getting into issues with cooling which restrict the consoles to lower-end GPUs and the need to keep costs down.

Even if consoles lasted as long as the shortest 'generation', 4 years between the 1st and 2nd generations and between the 3rd and 4th, we'd still have even mid-range cards outperforming them simply because they'd have to keep costs down to make up for the higher R&D involved in more rapid releases.

Basically, the way consoles are is just a bridge between handhelds and PC. Handhelds aren't powerful enough to render big, impressive environments, but do really well bringing back older games, like Nintendo remaking Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time on the DS and 3DS, and simpler games like arcade racers and puzzle platformers. Consoles have the umph to create larger, more detailed worlds, but lack the power to run them at consistent frame rates or with impressive graphics. They rely more upon improving art design and using tricks to distract you from the fallbacks, like lower FOV and making weapon models bigger so they have to render less area.

A properly specced PC will have the power to run a game consistently and make it look good. One thing about using a mouse to control your camera, you notice frame irregularities a lot more. Maybe the camera skips a bit, maybe it takes a moment to respond. When you have 1:1 response, you feel when something goes wrong. When I press right on an analog stick and the camera moves right, it takes a lot more for me to feel something is wrong.
---
One day, when I am too old for adventuring, I will settle down and open up a little armor shop called, "Victorious Secret."
#15DetectiveZPosted 8/15/2014 1:18:06 AM
golden85354 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...

lol
---
3DS FC: 1504-5928-8042
Krabby, Poliwhirl and Floatzel
#16Kaiser292Posted 8/15/2014 1:32:38 AM
Along with what most people have already said about consoles having to last an entire generation and remaining uniform during that time, you have to remember that consoles will be releasing with old tech inside from the get go.
---
Steam ID: slayerjon1 PSN: slayerjon1
#17onikayPosted 8/15/2014 2:40:22 AM
Also has to do with backwards compatibility. On a PC you can still play games you bought 30 years ago. Consoles however you need the console itself from that generation. Not many people would want to stack 15+ consoles in their living room I think. If Playstation or Xbox were backwards compatible they'd lose a lot less of their more mature audiences to the PC with every generation.
---
- I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!! -
#18bybyrPosted 8/15/2014 2:52:32 AM
I just hope someday steambox and pc crush all the consoles and the world will only have pc as a console.
#19PhilOnDezPosted 8/15/2014 3:56:24 AM(edited)
Clouddx posted...
That1Guyy posted...
Somehow I get the feeling your $400 PC requires you to already have an operating system, keyboard and mouse, and possibly even a hard drive. And you can't buy it whenever you want because you have to wait for sales.

Just the OS and Keyboard+Mouse. W/ the OS it would cost ~$470. It has a 1tb HDD 7200RPM.

Well, the items I chose aren't really on sale. SO if you do get them on sale you're looking at an even cheaper PC. The system performs extremely well even on games like Metro: Last Light on Very High settings.

Anyways, just think of it like this. You're paying for the OS instead of paying for Xbox Live or PS+.

I think a better argument would be that you're talking purely from a hardware perspective when talking about Sony/MS selling their hardware for a loss. $400 worth of PC parts is more powerful than a $400 console. That's not even a question. Is it complete and usable? Not really, you still need software, but Sony/MS don't have to pay for an OS license every time they ship a unit. So if $400 at consumer retail prices (ie every single part was sold at a profit, and the manufacturer margins on the CPU/GPU are massive to make up for the massive R&D costs required to develop a new architecture) surely $400 at contract-with-the-manufacturer bulk prices is making at least a small bit of money per unit right out of the gate. If not, GG AMD, they rocked that negotiating table.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#20g7g7g7g7Posted 8/15/2014 6:27:08 AM
If you take full price retail games for a console and something like the AMDs never settle bundle into account you can afford to spend an extra $100+ on graphics hardware compared to a new console bundle.
---
"You know what's most annoying about hearing neighbors having sex?,
When it's too quiet*" - Umbongo