This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why Cant Consoles Catch Up To PC?

#61Pengu1nPosted 8/18/2014 4:12:13 AM
Gwendal posted...
Pengu1n posted...

And vice versa all PS4 games from the past present and future will always run on any PS4 whereas on a PC that new operating system you just bought and installed might not work with some of your games, programs and/or hardware or if they do work they need to be tweaked just to get it to start

On the other hand, you can run most games from the last 25 years or so on a modern PC with a little tweaking. For its part, the PS4 doesn't even run PS3 games at all (as far as I can tell from Wikipedia, anyway), and the PS3 had fairly spotty backwards compatibility too.

Besides, that probably won't be a problem with newer games until quite a few years down the line. I doubt I'd suddenly lose the ability to play any of my reasonably modern games if I were to switch to Windows 8 tomorrow.

The amount of PC games i have had to get rid of in the past because they wouldn't work with whatever operating system i was using was insane. Some games wouldn't install because (according the the game itself) i did have enough RAM or a powerful enough CPU/GPU despite having way over what the game needed to run one even said i didn't have a fast enough CD ROM drive despite me havine a DVD ROM drive that could read CD's at 24x. Others would just crash or refuse to run even when i tried using compatibility mode.

Yet i currently have a 160GB slim PS3 with a 640GB HDD that plays all the old PS3 games such as resistance fall of man just fine and years from now i will be able to play killzone shadow fall on my PS4 despite all the various firmware updates yet will i be able to play Diablo 3 when windows 10 comes out?
---
FX 6300, HYPER 212 EVO, 16GB DDR3, 7870 GHZ 2GB, 2TB HDD, 64 GB SATA III SSD, 12X BLU RAY, 750W PSU, X-FI FATAL1TY,WINDOWS 7
#62TimePharaohPosted 8/18/2014 4:20:56 AM
Pengu1n posted...
The amount of PC games i have had to get rid of in the past because they wouldn't work with whatever operating system i was using was insane. Some games wouldn't install because (according the the game itself) i did have enough RAM or a powerful enough CPU/GPU despite having way over what the game needed to run one even said i didn't have a fast enough CD ROM drive despite me havine a DVD ROM drive that could read CD's at 24x. Others would just crash or refuse to run even when i tried using compatibility mode.

ITP: Gross user fail.

Name 5 and I'll load them up right now and rub your incompetence in your dirty farmer face.
#63DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/18/2014 4:35:25 AM
ITT: People can't run <5 year old games and blame their OS.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#64GjainPosted 8/18/2014 5:06:45 AM
money plain and simple.....
#65SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 5:28:47 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Pengu1n posted...

ITP: Gross user fail.

Name 5 and I'll load them up right now and rub your incompetence in your dirty farmer face.

That's actually common, windows broke an api that was mostly used to determine free memory.
The first example I think of is evolution 4x4. It'll tell you you have -4000mb of ram available.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#66SneakiestNegPosted 8/18/2014 7:14:35 AM
I still haven't seen anyone in western Europe build a decent 400 euro gaming pc. And I am guessing that the PS4 will be around for at least five years. Of course if one cares terribly about graphics get a PC. But my cheapo laptop can still play CIV.
#67SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 7:21:32 AM
SneakiestNeg posted...
I still haven't seen anyone in western Europe build a decent 400 euro gaming pc. And I am guessing that the PS4 will be around for at least five years. Of course if one cares terribly about graphics get a PC. But my cheapo laptop can still play CIV.

My current PC I built just for gaming at the cheapest possible. And I regret it. The AMD CPU is fast enough for games, but terrible at everything else. Even web browsing is a pain.
Re-using my old hard drives saved me a lot of money (120gig 2003, 360gig 2005) but they are terribly slow. I am talking 5 minutes to boot windows, 2 minutes to open a web browser. Civ5? The opening video could play 5 times before I reach the menu.

Cheap PC's suck, better to spend a little more and get a good PC. A lesson I learned.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#68ClouddxPosted 8/18/2014 8:05:06 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...

My current PC I built just for gaming at the cheapest possible. And I regret it. The AMD CPU is fast enough for games, but terrible at everything else. Even web browsing is a pain.
Re-using my old hard drives saved me a lot of money (120gig 2003, 360gig 2005) but they are terribly slow. I am talking 5 minutes to boot windows, 2 minutes to open a web browser. Civ5? The opening video could play 5 times before I reach the menu.

Cheap PC's suck, better to spend a little more and get a good PC. A lesson I learned.

Just not true, my brother has a cheap PC that plays every game at more then adequate settings.

$400 nowadays will get you a great entry level PC capable of playing any game at High or Very High settings.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#69SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 8:07:49 AM
Clouddx posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
SneakiestNeg posted...

Just not true, my brother has a cheap PC that plays every game at more then adequate settings.

0_o

Did you not read anything I wrote?

My framerates are fine, Video card is the most important thing in a gaming PC and I focused on that, it's the rest of it that sucks. I basically built a console.
---
#70ClouddxPosted 8/18/2014 8:13:26 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
0_o

Did you not read anything I wrote?

My framerates are fine, Video card is the most important thing in a gaming PC and I focused on that, it's the rest of it that sucks. I basically built a console.

If you re-used parts you're PC must have cost much less than a new console. So, don't knock cheap PCs just because yours isn't up to par.

My bros PC has no trouble browsing the internet, and it doesn't take 5 minutes to boot. >_>

Also, I don't understand how a CPU can be fast enough for games but struggle at web browsing.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S