This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are you happy with your computer's noise level? (Eg. Fans)

#21CatToyPosted 8/15/2014 12:51:06 PM
Voted no but the more I thought about it the more I suppose I am happy. It's really not that loud, I certainly could/would improve it if I took the time, but I usually wear a headset so I hardly hear it anyway.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#22KalammerPosted 8/15/2014 1:39:02 PM
It took a few iterations to find 140mm fans that are quiet enough for me when mounted as exhaust fans in the top of my Mercury S3. It's still barely audible when the room is quiet, but not enough to drive me nuts like some of my past builds. Plus there's no change in noise level when I ramp up to full load.
---
"My job isn't to offer help in the way that you mean." - Boogiepop
#23Haley Joel OsmentPosted 8/15/2014 1:41:43 PM
Yeah, my new build is absolutely silent from a couple of feet away. Using a Define R4 case fitted with three Noctua NF-A14s (two front intake, one rear exhaust) running at 7V off the case's fan controller. They're completely inaudible like that, so there's no point turning them down to 5V. Also using a Noctua NH-U14S CPU cooler. Temps are great, despite the silence-optimised case.

I was having a problem with the desk it's on vibrating and making an annoying noise, but I solved that completely accidentally by putting down a heavy sellotape dispenser on there, which completely stopped the vibration and the noise.

---
I see dead people.
#24JurassicBondPosted 8/15/2014 1:51:20 PM
I just built a new computer and it's almost eerie how quiet it is. I can be right next to it and not know it's on without looking at the lights.
---
Reading: Ilium - Dan Simmons
http://i.imgur.com/AUbFA.jpg http://i.imgur.com/nYklT.jpg
#25JYLE_BrHPosted 8/15/2014 1:59:39 PM
I wear headphones most of the time.
#26link510Posted 8/15/2014 3:19:08 PM
No, I need a new fan for my H60, thing sounds like a little jet engine and I hate it.
#27Knighted DragonPosted 8/15/2014 5:45:23 PM
I can barely hear my PC but fans have never bothered me at all. I always lol when people said the 360 sounded like a jet plane taking off. Maybe it's just because I worked at the air port surronded by actual planes, and because I'm a carpenter who hears loud noises for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, but I could barely even hear my 360. My PC registers at 56 db and I can barely hear it if I'm trying
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#28The_Count_FooPosted 8/15/2014 5:58:28 PM(edited)
Quietness is very important to me. I have my fans on low unless I'm gaming, which I usually have headphones on while gaming. I also got a fractal R4 and suited it up with quiet fans and put noctua nf-f12 fans on my radiator. The dc II cooler on my 280x is also whisper quiet. Even under heavy load the fans never go past 40'ish percent.
---
Divided by night...
#29_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/15/2014 6:03:52 PM
Yeah, I am pretty happy. In the case that I chose and the fans that I chose to add, I prioritized airflow over silence.

But despite that it manages to be pretty silent.

What also helps is that I do not put the case on my desk next to me. The easiest way to make sure you are not bothered by the noise coming from the desktop is to simply put it somewhere that is not too close to your head.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | Kingston V300 120 GB | Corsair VX550 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 300r | AKG k550 | Realforce 87U | Zowie EC1 Evo White
#30halomonkey1_3_5Posted 8/15/2014 6:21:20 PM(edited)
I could improve it but its not a big issue

its very obviously audible but not loud per se, and most of the noise is actually my s***ty HDD setup and the fact that my PC is on my desk(behind my monitor) instead of on the floor, so its right at ear level. Honestly the vibrations on the desk are more annoying than the fan noise.

My GPU can sound like a leafblower if I crank the fan up, but even while under 100% load and with a healthy overclock it doesnt usually break 40% fan speed so its rarely an issue
---
Billy Mays: July 20, 1958 - June 28, 2009
The Greatest