This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who cares about Video Games?

#31SpazH3dPosted 8/15/2014 8:49:34 AM
My brain wants to ask when Shenmue 1 and 2 are coming to PC. Thank you.
---
- My vision is augmented
#32SleepComaPosted 8/15/2014 8:55:59 AM
Boy what you need is Jesus!! Ever try that ?!?
---
It's weird that pirates would go from shore to shore looking for buried treasure,
when the real treasure was in the friendships they were making.
#33Edavy89Posted 8/15/2014 9:02:54 AM
In general, not at all. However, there are certain genre's i used to love that I can't really get in to anymore. And I certainly can't spend as much time as I used to be able to playing games without getting sick of it.

When i was younger I could literally spend all of my free time gaming and be perfectly content. Now, if I play games several days in a row, I often don't have any interest in playing anything for the following 3-5 days.

I can definitely get what you are saying in the sense of the gaming genre as a whole seeming less interesting, especially in a comparative sense with "back in the day". For me at least, it's because of quite a large number of factors. In no particular order...

1) The toxicity of people in general. This hardly just applies to gaming, but it's definitely a big factor in gaming. I mean, I remember the first few years I was on gamefaqs the 02-05 era or so, where the boards were almost entirely positive. Trolling was almost non-existent, the hostility you see everywhere on the boards now was almost non existent. The gaming community was just a lot more welcoming and pleasant.

2) Just having been a gamer for such a long time now, and the simple fact that there isn't anything new. At this point, pretty much everything has been done. You can only play the same basic thing so many times before it just gets stale. and this goes hand in hand with....

3)We seem to have hit a rather large "wall" in gaming evolution. Having run out of new ideas isn't necessarily a recent issue, however it was easy to overlook in the past. When the ideas were rehashed the technology allowed for significant advances that made a much larger impact than they do now. We still have growth, the tech gets better, but it isn't making the big changes that it used to be.

I remember when super mario 64 came out, it was just such a huge evolution as far as what you could do in a game. Now we get improvements on things like physics, which is cool and immersive, but a guy falling down realistically doesn't in the scope of things really add anything. I feel like this is going to be an issue we have for quite a while if you have been a long term gamer especially. As gaming has gotten so realistic at this point, the slightly better graphics we get each iteration just don't add enough to make those same rehashed ideas actually *seem* like something new.

4) Kind of a no brainer, but we are all growing up. Even if we are still big kids at heart (I know I am) it doesn't change the fact that as we get older we are changing and our interests are evolving or changing all together.

So, that's my two fiddy on the subject.

TLDR version: Stale ideas, hitting a plateau in technological advancement, Toxic communities, and just changing as a person.
#34jake-sfPosted 8/15/2014 9:23:20 AM
Its too much "I don't care at all" for me to relate.

I care TOO MUCH about games, about what they COULD be, about what I wish I could do, about understanding the greatness of a genre and what it could be yet nobody making games cares and realizes sub-par games that screws basic but sells well.

Nothing good comes out because almost no team out there can actually claim to be creating art. Nobody cares and next to nobody makes anything worthwhile.

So, yeah, I don't think I can relate. I can relate that I don't "care" about most new games, though. I haven't touched a new game this year besides Shovel Knight. They are all ******* terrible.

But a developer's life is awful. Can't really blame them for the crappy world that goes against the art that are games. Its the whole reason why I'm -not- becoming a developer.

Sigh.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#35KillerTrufflePosted 8/15/2014 9:26:49 AM
Why don't you actually become an indie developer? That way you don't have to worry about publishers restricting your art, rushing you with deadlines, etc. You could craft the games you think would be perfect for you.

Unless you're worried no one else would like them or buy them, in which case, maybe your taste just differs from everyone else's. I've seriously never seen anyone else as critical of EVERYTHING as you are.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#36HighOnPhazonPosted 8/15/2014 9:30:36 AM
I go through phases where I get tired of certain genres. Right now I'm ending my RPG phase and getting sick of them, so I'm possibly going to start playing strategy games again for awhile.

I have about three times over the years, taken a break from videogaming. I got a lot of reading done then.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#37MadPinoRagePosted 8/15/2014 9:31:24 AM
I don't care about video games anymore. I only care about PC games.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
#38jake-sfPosted 8/15/2014 9:38:28 AM
KillerTruffle posted...
Why don't you actually become an indie developer? That way you don't have to worry about publishers restricting your art, rushing you with deadlines, etc. You could craft the games you think would be perfect for you.

Unless you're worried no one else would like them or buy them, in which case, maybe your taste just differs from everyone else's. I've seriously never seen anyone else as critical of EVERYTHING as you are.

My point is being a developer is really difficult, really unrewarding, and requires a ridiculous amount of dedication, for very little.

You can be lucky and strike gold, but lets be honest here. Anyone who wants to create their own games is living in hell.

I absolutely admire these people that can at least try, maybe I just don't got the balls for it.

I actually think what i would make would sell well provided it got noticed in the first place, but the chances I could make what I actually want are next to zero. A lot of people can claim good ideas I'm sure -> but making them?

What games can you REALLY make in your basement by yourself? I'm not delusional. I could NOT make what I want to do by myself. I'd have to start really small.

Thus begins a really long, treacherous road trying to get bigger, by making small games while eating scrapes of bread from your parents living on a minimum wage job all the while. Thats if you got nice parents.

I know I'm overly harsh about certain games, but right now I'm trying to just be harsh at the industry. We don't get much in games because the industry is terrible, and real gaming artists mostly all live terrible "careers".

I don't think I'm fit for that life, in any case. See, I'm not trying to blame the developers, but the industry. And what do you have to look forward to? Getting hired in a big company and losing all artistic freedom, having bad work condition, bad job security and etc...

Or you strike gold with one game, some day. Like I said.

Anyway. This was a big post.

The gaming world is just a depressing world.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#39HappyHippo04Posted 8/15/2014 9:41:09 AM
Whothehellcares.jpg
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#40Cade6669Posted 8/15/2014 9:41:31 AM
Take a month long break, if you still don't want to play after that- don't.
---
Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/SuperKing61
PSN - SuperKing602