This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have to hold power button to boot pc

#11microtoastPosted 8/17/2014 9:31:27 PM
-CJF- posted...
Anyone know if this is safe for the hardware long term? It seems like it wouldn't matter but I would like to be sure.

It won't damage the computer, shorting those leads is what the button does, BTW I ordered this for my computer since Ive the same problem as you http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HG7HO22/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I havent received it yet though...I wont go trough the hassle of sendin the case back
#12-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 3:28:25 AM(edited)
microtoast posted...
I guess rosewill cases are crap then! I've a Rosewill Blackhawk and have exactly the same problem

It's a shame, because other than this problem my experience with the challenger has actually been really good. Three strong case fans, tons of airflow, filtered vents, toolless design for drive bays, painted interior, bottom mount for PSU, cable management routing behind the motherboard, etc.

I guess that's what I get for cheaping out on the case though. Next time I will definitely spend more. I thought about just replacing the button but I'm not sure if I can get one that will match in with the case. I'm kinda relieved it's just the power button and not the leads on the motherboard or the power supply though.

Thanks for the info.
#13PsythikPosted 8/18/2014 3:54:01 AM
nicnac_390 posted...
You should be able to use a screwdriver to short out the leads on the motherboard that connect to the power switch. Just make sure they are the right leads and the computer should instantly boot up if the power switch was faulty.
Even if you accidentally short the wrong leads it won't harm anything. I once worked on a board that didn't have any of the leads labeled, so I just scraped a butter knife across all of them at once and it booted right up.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#14Greendragon854Posted 8/18/2014 4:43:11 AM
Psythik posted...
nicnac_390 posted...
You should be able to use a screwdriver to short out the leads on the motherboard that connect to the power switch. Just make sure they are the right leads and the computer should instantly boot up if the power switch was faulty.
Even if you accidentally short the wrong leads it won't harm anything. I once worked on a board that didn't have any of the leads labeled, so I just scraped a butter knife across all of them at once and it booted right up.

I loved this image. You're like the honey badger of computing.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#15PsythikPosted 8/18/2014 5:05:58 AM
lol components just aren't as fragile as people think they are, that's all. As a PC repair tech I've mucked about with the insides of thousands of PCs, never grounding myself, releasing static electricity directly onto mobos and nothing bad has ever happened to them.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#16Mushroom87Posted 8/19/2014 12:53:04 AM
Psythik posted...
lol components just aren't as fragile as people think they are, that's all. As a PC repair tech I've mucked about with the insides of thousands of PCs, never grounding myself, releasing static electricity directly onto mobos and nothing bad has ever happened to them.

i envy you sir, i had a laptop with a busted keyboard that i was trying to mod into a tablet, had it all worked out had the case modded and everything, and when i dropped the mobo into the case i felt a nice little static discharge on my finger, and then it failed to boot.......ever.
#17chronotrig100Posted 8/19/2014 12:20:41 PM
Yeah I don't mess with static electricity ever anymore. I realized how bad it can be when I touched the bottom of a wired 360 controller (where the mic jack is) and shocked it. The controller never worked after that.

When I build a computer for the first time in a few months, I feel like I should be wearing gloves with a grounding pole next to me while I work haha.
---
The fastest pinball in space.
#18WerdnAndreWPosted 8/19/2014 12:35:57 PM(edited)
Contact Rosewill, they might send you the switch if its replaceable. You can always go to any electronics store like Radioshack and pick up a momentary switch and glue it in place of the old button.
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q