This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are steam only games inmune to piracy?
1 year ago#1
now than MGSV Is coming to PC I'm happy more people will enjoy the greatest game series evern, but I'm worried pirates my hurt sales.
---
I am your father
1 year ago#2
i could have sworn even steam games get pirated. some one have a second opinion on this?
---
Intel i5-4750 3.2Ghz / MSI Z87-G41 / 2X 4GB DDR3 / 2 TB HDD / Geforce GTX 580 / 500W 80+ bronze
1 year ago#3
nah, many Steam only games are pretty heavily pirated
---
RPG Spotlight: Beyond Divinity http://www.gog.com/game/beyond_divinity
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/ZN8H2QKB
1 year ago#4
Did you know console games are pirated too?
1 year ago#5
Yeah, Steam games if properly repacked can be pirated. And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

There's a reason PC is making more money than consoles on this front.
1 year ago#6
nearly all games(both steam and non-steam) can be pirated including early access and stuff.

only DRM that seems to work properly is (sadly)diablo 3 which requires constant client/server communication or something... dunno why that works compared to the failed sim city experiment since people were easily playing it illegally.

on the console front only ps4, xbone, wii u and vita remain safe so far.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
1 year ago#7
matu90rk posted...
And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

This means nothing. It's still potential lost revenue. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't make more if those people bought instead of pirating.
---
lol soccer
1 year ago#8
Every kind of game gets pirated, even Wiiware games. The thing about piracy hurting sales is a total cop out. Piracy isn't killing the entertainment industry at all, it is taking a small percent of sales away, but so is the sale of used games, at the end of the day, it's some CEO that can't afford to put uncut diamonds on his gold diving board. The people who actually make the games are already paid for their work hours.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
1 year ago#9
akuma634 posted...
Every kind of game gets pirated, even Wiiware games. The thing about piracy hurting sales is a total cop out. Piracy isn't killing the entertainment industry at all, it is taking a small percent of sales away, but so is the sale of used games, at the end of the day, it's some CEO that can't afford to put uncut diamonds on his gold diving board. The people who actually make the games are already paid for their work hours.

You say cop out then come back with the tired excuse of greedy CEOs. Pretty ironic.
---
lol soccer
1 year ago#10
AsucaHayashi posted...
only DRM that seems to work properly is (sadly)diablo 3 which requires constant client/server communication or something... dunno why that works compared to the failed sim city experiment since people were easily playing it illegally.

Basically, the PC Diablo 3 model works-- from my understanding-- because it's very similar to a MMO in terms of how the server/client system works. The AI processing, loot drops, damage calculations and other aspects are handled by Blizzard's servers, not your own computer. Key parts of the game are not running on your local computer, and the game can't run without them.

It could, in theory, be pirated in the same manner as MMO private servers allow MMO piracy, but the pirates would need to write their own server system that feeds the correct data to the client (or at least correct enough to make the game play the same way.) This is incredibly difficult.

SimCity, on the other hand, did all this stuff locally (despite the developers' claims to the contrary) and only used the always-on connection for online features.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived