This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

#101ChromaticAngelPosted 8/20/2014 12:46:19 PM
The cranky hermit posted...

A pirated copy of a game isn't a lost sale either. If someone goes out of their way to pirate then chances are they had no interest in ever buying the product they stole to begin with

Again,
this absurd, oft-repeated claim is equivalent to saying that of all the people who WOULD buy the game, "very few" would choose to get it for free instead if given the opportunity. Which completely defies logic, intuition, and basic understanding of human nature.

No, that's not an equivalent statement at all. You are completely wrong about it being equivalent and also completely wrong with the statement you said it's equivalent too.

It's a fact that piracy doesn't always result in a lost sale (stress on always because it does result in some lost sales). We know it's a fact because many pirates pirate more than they can afford with their life's earnings. It's not reasonable to assume that 45 million downloads means 45 million lost sales. It's more reasonable to assume that if the piracy was impossible, the pirates would behave more like a regular customer, with a very small subset of those 45 million going on to purchase the game.

Paying even though you have the option not to shows that 75 % of folks will choose to pay nothing if that option is available. And the folks who do pay will occasionally pay much more than it is worth.
---
If you see this, I am posting from mobile.
#102Worknofun370Posted 8/20/2014 12:59:37 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
He says as he looks at his stack of used games that he purchased and didn't give any money to the developers for

Wait... people STILL use this dumb used game argument?

Well, not really sure why i'm surprised by that one I guess.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#103The cranky hermitPosted 8/20/2014 1:01:12 PM
No, that's not an equivalent statement at all

Maybe "equivalent" is the wrong word, but you can't deny one without denying the other.

Statement 1: Very few pirates would buy the game if piracy was impossible.
Statement 2: Very few otherwise willing buyers choose to pirate instead.

If you deny statement 2, then you admit there are many people who would pirate instead of buying. This directly contradicts statement 1. Therefore, you can NOT believe statement 1 while also denying statement 2.

It's a fact that piracy doesn't always result in a lost sale

Irrelevant. Nobody is questioning this fact. If you think this refutes anything I have said, you have understood nothing. Try reading better.

It's more reasonable to assume that if the piracy was impossible, the pirates would behave more like a regular customer, with a very small subset of those 45 million going on to purchase the game.

More reasonable than what? The total strawman of "all 45 million would buy it" you posted above?

And even a "very small subset" of 45 million is still a lot of lost sales, which agrees with my point completely.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#104YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 1:02:54 PM
"It's a fact that piracy doesn't always result in a lost sale"

Please refer to this article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
#105SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 1:03:34 PM
All this is pointless as it has been proven that DRM that stops piracy, actually reduces sales, not increasing them. The working DRM removes the possibility for demo piracy. It removes anti DRM customers, and it will cause false positives causing legitimate players to not be able to play the game.

Want a recent example, check out sim city. Imagine how much better it would have sold if it didn't have DRM, no origin, no always online.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#106YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 1:05:52 PM
I think I remember a story about how World of Goo was released completely DRM free and was pirated up the ass.

The piracy was so bad the developer was desperate enough that they offered the game for free and said they only had to pay for it if they liked it.

Also, it was funny how people were all championing how great CD Projekt was for releasing the Witcher 2 without DRM yet it was still one of the most pirated games of the year.
#107SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 1:07:20 PM
YogaPantsLover posted...
I think I remember a story about how World of Goo was released completely DRM free and was pirated up the ass.

The piracy was so bad the developer was desperate enough that they offered the game for free and said they only had to pay for it if they liked it.

Also, it was funny how people were all championing how great CD Projekt was for releasing the Witcher 2 without DRM yet it was still one of the most pirated games of the year.

Got links?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#108YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 1:07:49 PM
I think its safe to say that the reason why The Witcher series is no longer PC exclusive is because of piracy.
#109YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 1:08:06 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
YogaPantsLover posted...

Got links?

Google it yourself.
#110SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 1:08:42 PM
YogaPantsLover posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
YogaPantsLover posted...

Got links?

Google it yourself.

"World of goo pirated up the ass"

I don't think I want to google that at work.
---