This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

#111YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 2:10:09 PM
In the end, it doesn't matter if PC gamers think that piracy is a big deal, their opinions don't matter.

What does matter is what publishers and developers think. They don't like piracy and that does matter since they determine what gets put on the market. You're not going to convince the industry that piracy is no big deal with weak ass strawman arguments like

"oh, deeerrr, hurpity derp derrr! Not every pirated game is a lost sales. heerrrrrp"
#112SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 2:16:02 PM(edited)
YogaPantsLover posted...
In the end, it doesn't matter if PC gamers think that piracy is a big deal, their opinions don't matter.

What does matter is what publishers and developers think. They don't like piracy and that does matter since they determine what gets put on the market. You're not going to convince the industry that piracy is no big deal with weak ass strawman arguments like

"oh, deeerrr, hurpity derp derrr! Not every pirated game is a lost sales. heerrrrrp"

That's not strawman.
Even if we take a + or - of 10% I can guarantee that 90% (100% to 80%) of pirates would not have purchased if piracy wasn't available.
The argument that every (emphasis on every because every implies 100%) pirated copy is a lost sale is ruined with just China alone. Toss in Russia and you hit close to 50% of total global piracy right there, none of which would have been bought legally.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#113Worknofun370Posted 8/20/2014 2:19:49 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
That's not strawman.

It is a strawman, because NOBODY is making the argument that every pirated copy is a loss sale.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#114YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 2:21:06 PM
Its a strawman argument because its irrelevent and nobody has ever claimed otherwise.
#115SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 2:22:11 PM(edited)
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
That's not strawman.

It is a strawman, because NOBODY is making the argument that every pirated copy is a loss sale.

I'm sure some idiot shareholder thinks that somewhere lol.

What's more important is would the predicted increased sales for the anti piracy measures offset the cost of the anti piracy measures?

If starforce is any indication, it will cost you sales.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#116YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 2:21:51 PM
Damn, worknofun beat me to it, lol.
#117YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 2:23:41 PM
Even if there is some idiot shareholder out there that is dumb enough to believe that the fact is that idiot shareholder has far more clout in the industry than any neckbearded torrent monkey.

Like it or not, his opinion matters far more than yours and he hates you.
#118TimePharaohPosted 8/20/2014 2:24:25 PM
Worknofun370 posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
He says as he looks at his stack of used games that he purchased and didn't give any money to the developers for

Wait... people STILL use this dumb used game argument?

Well, not really sure why i'm surprised by that one I guess.

It wasn't an argument it was a statement, perhaps learn how words work?
#119SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 2:26:14 PM(edited)
YogaPantsLover posted...
Even if there is some idiot shareholder out there that is dumb enough to believe that the fact is that idiot shareholder has far more clout in the industry than any neckbearded torrent monkey.

Sad but true.
But I take solace in the knowledge that that shareholder made less money because I didn't buy his crummy DRM.
If only there was some way I could say to this shareholder "Hey I didn't buy your game because the DRM was too aggressive and ruined the experience for me."
---
#120YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 2:27:29 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
YogaPantsLover posted...

Sad but true.
But I take solace in the knowledge that that shareholder made less money because I didn't buy his crummy DRM.
If only there was some way I could say to this shareholder "Hey I didn't buy your game because the DRM was too aggressive and ruined the experience for me."

I'm sure the hard working designers and developers of the games you torrent appreciate it too.