This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

#121SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 1:30:31 PM(edited)
YogaPantsLover posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
YogaPantsLover posted...
Even if there is some idiot shareholder out there that is dumb enough to believe that the fact is that idiot shareholder has far more clout in the industry than any neckbearded torrent monkey.

Like it or not, his opinion matters far more than yours and he hates you.

Sad but true.
But I take solace in the knowledge that that shareholder made less money because I didn't buy his crummy DRM.
If only there was some way I could say to this shareholder "Hey I didn't buy your game because the DRM was too aggressive and ruined the experience for me."

I'm sure the hard working designers and developers of the games you torrent appreciate it too.

I don't torrent games, I just don't buy them if they have DRM that pisses me off.

If I could give the developer 50 bucks I would. Under the table where no stupid publisher could steal the lion-share of it.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#122Worknofun370Posted 8/20/2014 1:30:57 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
It wasn't an argument it was a statement, perhaps learn how words work?

Sure thing, slugger
---
hasa diga eebowai
#123The cranky hermitPosted 8/20/2014 1:31:13 PM
I can guarantee that 90% (100% to 80%) of pirates would not have purchased if piracy wasn't available.

No you can't.

Toss in Russia and you hit close to 50% of total global piracy right there, none of which would have been bought legally.

How do you know that *none* of it would have been bought legally? Valve claims that Russia buys a lot from Steam.

I'm sure some idiot shareholder thinks that somewhere lol.

If you can't quote him on that, it doesn't count.

If starforce is any indication, it will cost you sales.

How can you be so sure? Splinter Cell: Chaos theory used Starforce, and it holds the record for duration of being uncracked. It stands to reason that some number of pirates, who wanted the game but were unable to pirate a working copy, broke down and bought legit copies. Was this enough to offset sales lost from Internet backlash against Ubisoft and/or Starforce? I don't know, but neither do you.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#124DaedalusExPosted 8/20/2014 1:38:45 PM
YogaPantsLover posted...
What does matter is what publishers and developers think. They don't like piracy and that does matter since they determine what gets put on the market.

Not really. They'll be putting games on the market regardless because they need to make money. Meanwhile, there is nothing they can do to stop piracy.
#125YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 1:44:16 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
YogaPantsLover posted...
What does matter is what publishers and developers think. They don't like piracy and that does matter since they determine what gets put on the market.

Not really. They'll be putting games on the market regardless because they need to make money. Meanwhile, there is nothing they can do to stop piracy.

True to an extent but there is a good reason we don't see nearly as many great PC exclusives today compared to the 90's and early 2000's. PC gamers are not a priority for the industry, you guys don't matter.
#126The cranky hermitPosted 8/20/2014 1:44:17 PM
Of course it matters. They decide *what* games get put on the market, for which platforms, and which audiences they get designed for.

The argument of "piracy is irrelevant, they'll make games anyway" is too simplistic - it ignores the reality that the industry changes in ways that you might not like.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#127DaedalusExPosted 8/20/2014 1:50:24 PM
YogaPantsLover posted...
True to an extent but there is a good reason we don't see nearly as many great PC exclusives today compared to the 90's and early 2000's. PC gamers are not a priority for the industry, you guys don't matter.

That has nothing to do with piracy.
#128YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 1:52:04 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
YogaPantsLover posted...

That has nothing to do with piracy.

Yeah, I'm sure its only a coincidence that PC exclusives declined dramatically after the era of file sharing.
#129DaedalusExPosted 8/20/2014 2:01:21 PM
YogaPantsLover posted...
Yeah, I'm sure its only a coincidence that PC exclusives declined dramatically after the era of file sharing.

Funny, that's also the era when gaming shifted from an enthusiast hobby to mainstream entertainment. But I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.
#130YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 2:38:49 PM
Reaching out to the mainstream was a necessary action once PC gamers felt they no longer needed to pay for their games.

The market they catered to before was no longer reliable so they had to find a new one.