This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

#21GoIrish80Posted 8/15/2014 3:36:23 PM
I guess the thing that I always have a hard time reconciling when it comes to PC piracy is that it always seems to be stated that PC piracy is this huge, massive, unbelievable problem yet the PC Gaming population is allegedly much smaller than consoles.

So for example, a game like Watch Dogs. I saw some graphic a few days ago showing the most pirated title by state and Watch Dogs was #1 in a lot of states. So let's assume Watch Dogs is heavily pirated, whatever that means in terms of numbers.

What I'd be interested in knowing (that we will never find out) is how many people who pirate a game like Watch Dogs are actually capable of properly playing it on their PC? How many of these people download it, see that it barely runs, uninstall it and never touch it again? I'M NOT SAYING THAT MAKES IT RIGHT, it doesn't. I'm very much against piracy. I'm just stating that I wonder how many people who pirate a game actually play it for any long amount of time.

There are usually somewhere around 4 or 5 million people logged into Steam at any given time, right? So let's say there are 10 million people around the world who are "active" PC gamers that have a fundamental understanding of how PC Gaming works, and are capable of pirating something.

How many of these people are REALLY going through the process of downloading Watch Dogs and playing it in a way that you would equate with someone who actually bought it?

I understand the rebuttal of "It still could have been someone who bought the game to experience that rather than do it for free, so it's a potential lost sale," and I don't even necessarily disagree with it. I'm just saying that it seems like the piracy discussion is always to one extreme or the other, and the truth often lies in the middle. I have no doubts that there are plenty of people who download something like Watch Dogs for free who can definitely afford to buy it and are only doing it because there's no chance of anything happening to them. But I also have a hard time believing that in the PC Gaming realm piracy is some sort of be-all-end-all reason why X or Y game doesn't come to the platform when a publisher gives that go-to response. If that was really the case, then it would seem to me that PC Gaming as a whole would just cease.
#22ChromaticAngelPosted 8/15/2014 4:47:48 PM
AsucaHayashi posted...
only DRM that seems to work properly is (sadly)diablo 3 which requires constant client/server communication or something... dunno why that works

it doesn't, if folks are determined enough they will steal that too. It typically only happens to really popular MMOs like World of Warcraft, though.
---
RPG Spotlight: Eschalon: Book III http://www.gog.com/game/eschalon_book_iii
Short Summary: http://pastebin.com/Suxb3Z43
#23IzicialPosted 8/15/2014 5:04:08 PM
BuyersRemorse55 posted...
Did you know console games are pirated too?

AMG THAT IS LIE!!! Cansules are the ultiMATE in Prefumence and GRAFIX. They are unstealable and MicroSony is my GODZ.

I still think its funny when people talk about PC games being pirated and ignore console games being pirated especially when it has been proven that PC games are more profitable than consoles.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#24DarkLagunaPosted 8/15/2014 5:07:00 PM
stalemate_666 posted...
matu90rk posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
matu90rk posted...
And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

This means nothing. It's still potential lost revenue. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't make more if those people bought instead of pirating.

Not releasing it on PC nowadays is an assured loss of revenue for most big franchises. The only way to fight piracy is to provide a better experience than what piracy offers for free. So far it has worked really well for most developers/publishers.

I'm pretty sure releasing a nasty virus embedded in the code of the game and putting it up for piracy would deter people.

If it ever got traced back to them, it'd be a PR nightmare, piracy or not. Some developers have put intentional bugs in pirated versions of games, though, like the character acting like they're drunk, or an invincible boss. They're figured out and worked around pretty quickly, though.

Piracy isn't nearly as huge of an issue as it's made out to be, though. Thinking that every pirated game is a lost sale is beyond foolish. Especially since the majority of piracy takes place in developing countries, where they don't have huge disposable incomes like many people in 1st world countries do. All the vast amount of piracy you hear about is just inflated numbers from people who would never have bought the game in the first place.
---
I feel a draft on my butt...
#25IzicialPosted 8/15/2014 5:08:16 PM
DarkLaguna posted...
stalemate_666 posted...
matu90rk posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
matu90rk posted...
And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

This means nothing. It's still potential lost revenue. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't make more if those people bought instead of pirating.

Not releasing it on PC nowadays is an assured loss of revenue for most big franchises. The only way to fight piracy is to provide a better experience than what piracy offers for free. So far it has worked really well for most developers/publishers.

I'm pretty sure releasing a nasty virus embedded in the code of the game and putting it up for piracy would deter people.

If it ever got traced back to them, it'd be a PR nightmare, piracy or not. Some developers have put intentional bugs in pirated versions of games, though, like the character acting like they're drunk, or an invincible boss. They're figured out and worked around pretty quickly, though.

Piracy isn't nearly as huge of an issue as it's made out to be, though. Thinking that every pirated game is a lost sale is beyond foolish. Especially since the majority of piracy takes place in developing countries, where they don't have huge disposable incomes like many people in 1st world countries do. All the vast amount of piracy you hear about is just inflated numbers from people who would never have bought the game in the first place.

I think there was a study a while back that suggested that people who pirate music is more likely to actually spend money on music. I would assume that would be the same for other mediums like movies and games.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#26AmirygonPosted 8/15/2014 5:14:06 PM
Lol... actually, many pirates love Steam since it makes software easier to pirate and duplicate through its standardization. Only DRM measures that work against piracy are those like Diablo 3 & SimCity that use proprietary DRM methods instead of something standardized
---
It is the fact you are offended, quite frankly, that offends me.
#27Hi CPosted 8/15/2014 5:20:45 PM
matu90rk posted...
Yeah, Steam games if properly repacked can be pirated. And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

There's a reason PC is making more money than consoles on this front.

PC makes more money overall because it does not limit itself to one single (AAA) demographic like console does and even integrated graphics is enough to enjoy at least 50% of what PC has to offer which means just about anyone with a PC can find something to play.

Console is Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, GTA, Call of Duty, H. Kojima game, Battlefield, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, "open world 3rd person GTA clone", Call of Duty.

PC is AAA, mid market, Indie, flash, niche, kickstarter, MMO, MOBA, F2P, retro, DOSBOX, infinitely backwards compatible, Steam Sale, Gog Sale, Humble bundle, and on and on.

PC may not be the biggest seller for any one game except in very specific circumstances but overall the lack of corporate controlled walls makes it the highest grossing platform out there. It's the perfect example of a free market.
#28Damaged7Posted 8/15/2014 5:48:32 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#29Chaos_MissilePosted 8/15/2014 7:34:56 PM
Gojak_v3 posted...
akuma634 posted...
Every kind of game gets pirated, even Wiiware games. The thing about piracy hurting sales is a total cop out. Piracy isn't killing the entertainment industry at all, it is taking a small percent of sales away, but so is the sale of used games, at the end of the day, it's some CEO that can't afford to put uncut diamonds on his gold diving board. The people who actually make the games are already paid for their work hours.

You say cop out then come back with the tired excuse of greedy CEOs. Pretty ironic.

His point remains is that company blows the piracy issue out of proportion, consistently stating that the game developers get no money from it period. Which is why studios closing and games not selling is usually piracy's fault as opposed to the game being really terrible or mismanagement by CEO or something else.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#30The cranky hermitPosted 8/15/2014 7:42:33 PM
His point remains is that company blows the piracy issue out of proportion, consistently stating that the game developers get no money from it period.

Are you trying to claim that developers DO get money from it?

And I would like you to find me a recent example of a studio closing and blaming it on piracy. And also prove that the studio's closing had nothing to do with piracy. If you can't do both of these things, then your claim holds no water.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!