This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

#31stalemate_666Posted 8/15/2014 10:00:08 PM
DarkLaguna posted...
stalemate_666 posted...
matu90rk posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
matu90rk posted...
And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

This means nothing. It's still potential lost revenue. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't make more if those people bought instead of pirating.

Not releasing it on PC nowadays is an assured loss of revenue for most big franchises. The only way to fight piracy is to provide a better experience than what piracy offers for free. So far it has worked really well for most developers/publishers.

I'm pretty sure releasing a nasty virus embedded in the code of the game and putting it up for piracy would deter people.

If it ever got traced back to them, it'd be a PR nightmare, piracy or not. Some developers have put intentional bugs in pirated versions of games, though, like the character acting like they're drunk, or an invincible boss. They're figured out and worked around pretty quickly, though.

Piracy isn't nearly as huge of an issue as it's made out to be, though. Thinking that every pirated game is a lost sale is beyond foolish. Especially since the majority of piracy takes place in developing countries, where they don't have huge disposable incomes like many people in 1st world countries do. All the vast amount of piracy you hear about is just inflated numbers from people who would never have bought the game in the first place.

I didn't say it wouldn't be I said it'd probably work lol. If you lose everything on your comp because you pirated a game I'm sure alot of people would stop pirating games. A virus would be more effective then a bug though it'd get to the point where the person is more concerned with deleting the virus then finding a workaround to pirate the game.

I also totally agree with you on piracy is not a big deal. I won't lie I've torrented some games before (usually stuff I own elsewhere though). Diablo 2 I kinda pirated (disk broke, still had code downloaded a copy used my code), FF7/8 had ps1 disks got pc version but later bought the ps3 versions digitally.

But a company looks at the torrent numbers and assumes everyone of those numbers is playing the game as if they bought it and that most of them would of bought it if they couldn't, which is just pure bs. It could be people with my case (disk broke or lost or have other version but already bought) or people trying to see if it will just work on their computer to people using it as a demo. They don't realize that very few would actually buy the game and even less at full price.
---
psn: Stalemate666
#32The cranky hermitPosted 8/15/2014 10:50:18 PM
But a company looks at the torrent numbers and assumes everyone of those numbers is playing the game as if they bought it and that most of them would of bought it if they couldn't, which is just pure bs

What company does this, exactly?

It's astounding to me that this seems to be common knowledge, that companies must be assuming 100% of pirated copies mean lost sales. WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM?

You don't have to answer that, BTW. It came from the collective asses of pirates who make up facts and/or repeat made up facts they heard on the Internet (mostly the latter - see all the geniuses "citing" nonexistent studies) so they can feel smug. No company has ever operated under the logic that you say is pure BS. Why not? Because it's pure BS. If that could occur to you, it could occur to someone who operates a business in an industry that routinely hires entire departments to think about these kinds of things.

They don't realize that very few would actually buy the game

Where is your evidence for this? Also, this absurd, oft-repeated claim is equivalent to saying that of all the people who WOULD buy the game, "very few" would choose to get it for free instead if given the opportunity. Which completely defies logic, intuition, and basic understanding of human nature.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#33myztikricePosted 8/15/2014 10:52:58 PM
My evidence is every publisher ever complaining about piracy. You show articles where they're pragmatic about it.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#34The cranky hermitPosted 8/15/2014 11:07:10 PM
Ok, here's one. First result from a fairly generic Google search.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisoft-drm-can-t-stop-piracy/1100-6420602/

Note that nowhere do they say anything suggesting "every torrenter is a lost sale."

Now you show me one article where they complain about piracy. Make sure it says "every torrenter is a lost sale," or you were just imagining that. You probably never actually read these articles anyway.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#35SaltyBotzPosted 8/15/2014 11:52:07 PM
Steam only games are some of the easiest to pirate, honestly.
#36Lum_YatsuraPosted 8/16/2014 1:28:35 AM
ChromaticAngel posted...
it doesn't, if folks are determined enough they will steal that too. It typically only happens to really popular MMOs like World of Warcraft, though.

I guess so. Can't say I've heard of non-paying players able to join the general population of things like Final Fantasy XI.
Unofficial server isn't quite the same experience on community focused games.
---
3ds fc: 5026 4515 5016
We'll ion buzz to the blue stars over there!?
#37ForeverZero2Posted 8/16/2014 2:00:58 AM(edited)
the difference of pirating a steam game from a non steam game is that you need to install steam to play, thats it, just patch or copy a crack file and its done just like every game
i remember reading something about something like cracking steam so you download the game from steam instead of elsewhere
#38Bellum_SacrumPosted 8/16/2014 3:15:03 AM
Nope, piracy reigns on PC.

It doesn't help that the Brazil-Russia-China holy trinity of piracy mainly use PCs.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#39reincarnator07Posted 8/16/2014 6:39:08 AM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...

It doesn't help that the Brazil-Russia-China holy trinity of piracy mainly use PCs.

Now how many of those would play the games at all if piracy wasn't an option?
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#40AsellusPosted 8/16/2014 7:02:40 AM
reincarnator07 posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...

Now how many of those would play the games at all if piracy wasn't an option?

Russia's actually become Steam's second-largest market in Europe. Ie they're buying stuff even though it is an option.