This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

#51JKatarnPosted 8/16/2014 4:54:22 PM
matu90rk posted...
Gojak_v3 posted...
matu90rk posted...
And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

This means nothing. It's still potential lost revenue. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't make more if those people bought instead of pirating.

Not releasing it on PC nowadays is an assured loss of revenue for most big franchises. The only way to fight piracy is to provide a better experience than what piracy offers for free. So far it has worked really well for most developers/publishers.

That depends, there are support/porting etc. costs and infrastructure that are endemic to the PC platform that they wouldn't really need on the console (same hardware). It all depends on the genre of game/the game itself and whether the added cost of porting/support would be offset by the sales on the platform.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#52JKatarnPosted 8/16/2014 5:07:06 PM
The cranky hermit posted...
But a company looks at the torrent numbers and assumes everyone of those numbers is playing the game as if they bought it and that most of them would of bought it if they couldn't, which is just pure bs

What company does this, exactly?

It's astounding to me that this seems to be common knowledge, that companies must be assuming 100% of pirated copies mean lost sales. WHERE IS THIS COMING FROM?

You don't have to answer that, BTW. It came from the collective asses of pirates who make up facts and/or repeat made up facts they heard on the Internet (mostly the latter - see all the geniuses "citing" nonexistent studies) so they can feel smug. No company has ever operated under the logic that you say is pure BS. Why not? Because it's pure BS. If that could occur to you, it could occur to someone who operates a business in an industry that routinely hires entire departments to think about these kinds of things.

They don't realize that very few would actually buy the game

Where is your evidence for this? Also, this absurd, oft-repeated claim is equivalent to saying that of all the people who WOULD buy the game, "very few" would choose to get it for free instead if given the opportunity. Which completely defies logic, intuition, and basic understanding of human nature.

This - while I don't concede that EVERYONE who pirates would be able to afford the legal license fee, you know a percentage of pirates, if they had no way to download the game would pay the fee (assuming they want the game badly enough). A lot of these people download hundreds of gigs of games/music/movies/TV shows because they can and they're reasonably certain they won't get caught/aren't scared of the repercussions if they are.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
#53JKatarnPosted 8/16/2014 5:09:44 PM
reincarnator07 posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Nope, piracy reigns on PC.

It doesn't help that the Brazil-Russia-China holy trinity of piracy mainly use PCs.

Now how many of those would play the games at all if piracy wasn't an option?

Less people sure, but even if 1-10% of these people actually end up paying the legal license fee that will be more profit for the publishers/developers than the whole group leeching it for free. These companies aren't charities.
---
#54JKatarnPosted 8/16/2014 5:13:19 PM
SneakiestNeg posted...
And Simcity was cracked if your interested.

*you're, and no, I prefer paying for my goods/services vs. being a filthy leech.
---
#55petran78Posted 8/17/2014 12:58:16 AM
JKatarn posted...

This - while I don't concede that EVERYONE who pirates would be able to afford the legal license fee, you know a percentage of pirates, if they had no way to download the game would pay the fee (assuming they want the game badly enough). A lot of these people download hundreds of gigs of games/music/movies/TV shows because they can and they're reasonably certain they won't get caught/aren't scared of the repercussions if they are.

the difference with music, comics, movies and TV shows, is that they were already broadcast (Public, Satellite or Cable TV, Radio stations etc). This goes back to the tape/vhs days. they already earned their share.
Also you have to consider region lock. Back then, unless you had an expensive VHS, it was impossible to import foreign VHS tapes, unless you brought the tape to some pro with conversion material. that was costly.

The irony is that the publishers impose region lock, yet at the same time they include world numbers in piracy. they save money from region lock, since that means less numbers to advertise the product and pay the fees.
but suddenly that saved money becomes lost revenue due to pirates. that is the epitome of hypocrisy.

regarding video games, nowadays piracy affects consoles the most, because they still impose expensive prices on games.
PC games prices changed dramatically compared to 10 years ago. 3-4 $ games yield no serious revenue at all so as to blame piracy.

the anti-piracy rhetoric remained years behind and requires to change or (preferably) be abolished.
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#56The cranky hermitPosted 8/17/2014 7:33:30 AM
There was nothing in that post that made one lick of sense. And who are you to decide what "their share" is? Their share is whatever customers would be willing to pay from now until the copyright expiration date, without corrupting factors like piracy.

Your pro-piracy rhetoric is such total nonsense that it can't even qualify as "wrong."
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#57SetzeraPosted 8/17/2014 12:38:36 PM
There isn't a single game / DRM system I'm aware of that can't be pirated. So far the only way to prevent piracy is to please your fans, give them the benefit of the doubt.

I remember Ubisoft made 2 copies of a game once, one with DRM and one without, the one with DRM was hacked a pirated tons more times, than the version that had no DRM and could be easily done.

People will do it just to spite DRM.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#58petran78Posted 8/17/2014 1:01:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#59The cranky hermitPosted 8/17/2014 1:27:17 PM
No, nothing in that post made any sense either. You are still rambling utter nonsense that can't even be classified as wrong. There was not one sentence, clause, or syllogism in that brain fart of a post that applied to anything at all.
---
#60The cranky hermitPosted 8/17/2014 1:37:26 PM
So far the only way to prevent piracy is to please your fans, give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nobody ever prevented piracy by "pleasing their fans." Not even once. This is flimsy, rationalizing garbage.

I remember Ubisoft made 2 copies of a game once, one with DRM and one without, the one with DRM was hacked a pirated tons more times, than the version that had no DRM and could be easily done.

Whatever thing actually happened, you either misunderstood, or remembered wrong, or both. You know how I can tell? Because you don't even recall which game it was.
---