This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are steam only games inmune to piracy?

#81AsucaHayashiPosted 8/18/2014 9:18:52 AM(edited)
I very much doubt you can ever demonstrate that being nice to your customers has ever been effective at preventing individuals from pirating games, outside of presenting flimsy anecdotal evidence.

admittedly "niceness" hasn't really been presented with criteria yet, anecdotal as they may be.

eg. "nice" to me is:
-DRM-free games(GOG which shows 100% trust in consumers).
-low, low, low pricing which translates to more gaming per $ spent
-reliable high speed downloads and one-click installs + automatic updates compared to the "hassle" of finding an illegal copy through a slow source that remains vanilla.
-game bundles in all their splendor which again means far more gaming per $ spent

sure, most of it is probably to deter piracy since it's so rampant that the business has become about how to provide the best solution to sell games instead of piracy... but i'm definitely not complaining.

compare this to the alternative on consoles with the least amount of piracy where being "nice" compared to the competition bodes down to if you can still lend games to your friends or not which is just sad.
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy.
http://i.imgur.com/9Yv0R2Z.jpg
#82SetzeraPosted 8/18/2014 1:11:57 PM
Edavy89 posted...
Setzera posted...
Edavy89 posted...
I didn't have to correct it for him, I had to explain it for you. He simply made the mistake of assuming people on gamefaqs have common sense and didn't need it spelled out to them in black and white.

And yes, reducing piracy is preventing it, if it simply stops one person from pirating the game, it "prevented" them from pirating it. You seem to be mistaking preventing piracy with eliminating piracy, which no one ever claimed.

And in all reality, all you are doing at this point is playing the semantics game, which is tedious and pointless.

You sir, I shall give free drinks and bacon, should the opportunity ever arise. I just don't have the energy to deal with these things anymore.

Haha thanks. Yeah, at this point I can't say i care anymore either. The bottom line is your point was correct, and hermit is arguing for the sake of arguing just because he wants to. And like my previous post said, at this point the whole thing is just tedious.

I completely agree. lol
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#83The cranky hermitPosted 8/18/2014 2:53:59 PM
eg. "nice" to me is:
-DRM-free games(GOG which shows 100% trust in consumers).
-low, low, low pricing which translates to more gaming per $ spent
-reliable high speed downloads and one-click installs + automatic updates compared to the "hassle" of finding an illegal copy through a slow source that remains vanilla.
-game bundles in all their splendor which again means far more gaming per $ spent

I think I need to point out that the third one really isn't applicable to developers that aren't also making a distribution system. Prefix it with "distribute it via a service which offers..." and it can be applicable, though that does to some extent depend on third party curation beyond the developer's control.

And I think it would be difficult to argue that CD Projekt Red isn't being "nice" by these criteria. The Witcher 2 is currently DRM free, available on Steam if you prefer that infrastructure to GOG's standalone installers, it goes on sale all the time, and it gets bundled with TW1 frequently. But it got pirated just as much as anything EA or Ubisoft made.

sure, most of it is probably to deter piracy since it's so rampant that the business has become about how to provide the best solution to sell games instead of piracy... but i'm definitely not complaining.

I would, because there's an observable shift in the way PC games are being developed, and it's not for the better as far as I'm concerned. I want more PC oriented, single player oriented games with well developed narratives and worlds, and deep gameplay mechanics. These are exactly the sort of games that suffer the most from piracy, and we're getting fewer of them in favor of F2P, or console ports, or online-only titles that make some compromises to the core experience in order to accommodate online functionality. And when we do get singleplayer games, they are often cheaply made - why put a lot of effort into something if you'll only push units during 75% off Steam sales?
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#84petran78Posted 8/19/2014 1:47:10 AM
AsucaHayashi posted...

compare this to the alternative on consoles with the least amount of piracy where being "nice" compared to the competition bodes down to if you can still lend games to your friends or not which is just sad.

Console piracy is rampant too and always was (PS1-3, Xbox1-360, PSP, NDS, GC, DC, Wii etc). Just not on Gamefaqs....Lets not talk about arcade bootlegs....
Search further. they just have stronger backings.

there is also competition from the retail sector, second hand copies included.
this is why digital versions of console games cant get cheaper prices like Steam, because they'll weaken the retail sector.

PC had a rich retail sector too up to the late-90s. The weakening of that retail sector, especially after the launch of the original Xbox, lead also to the weakening of computer games. Digital distribution, while popular, does not guarantee the mass profits and appeal of the retail sector and the greater prestige among users/publishers/retailers.

The irony is that PC games originally were developed during the 80s, exactly because the consumers who would spend 5000 $ on hardware, would also have the money for video games. As opposed to the gamers that had a cheap Commodore 64 or Nintendo console. A reason why those games were more sophisticated back then.

taken from here:
http://www.retrodrome.net/index.php/articles/80-interviews/100-an-interview-with-legendary-game-designer-al-lowe
---
Q.You want so see some other stuff? What Console? A.Console? Q.What platform? A.Uh, Moral Turpitude?
Q.PC it is, then.
#85VoxwikPosted 8/19/2014 1:01:45 PM
$200-$300 is only "cheap" in bizarro world, especially back in the 1980s.
#86ThePCElitistPosted 8/19/2014 1:21:28 PM(edited)
Gojak_v3 posted...
matu90rk posted...
And on the piracy thing, it has been shown over and over that the revenue from PC releases greatly surpass whatever "loss" piracy ensures.

This means nothing. It's still potential lost revenue. It also doesn't mean they wouldn't make more if those people bought instead of pirating.

A pirated copy of a game isn't a lost sale either. If someone goes out of their way to pirate then chances are they had no interest in ever buying the product they stole to begin with. Thus, they were never a potential source of revenue to start. It's only now that some Developers are starting to realize this.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#87The cranky hermitPosted 8/19/2014 9:42:07 PM
Console piracy is rampant too

Not even close to being as rampant.
https://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2011-111230/

A pirated copy of a game isn't a lost sale either. If someone goes out of their way to pirate then chances are they had no interest in ever buying the product they stole to begin with

Again,
this absurd, oft-repeated claim is equivalent to saying that of all the people who WOULD buy the game, "very few" would choose to get it for free instead if given the opportunity. Which completely defies logic, intuition, and basic understanding of human nature.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#88MewonePosted 8/20/2014 10:43:52 AM
The cranky hermit posted...

Again,
this absurd, oft-repeated claim is equivalent to saying that of all the people who WOULD buy the game, "very few" would choose to get it for free instead if given the opportunity. Which completely defies logic, intuition, and basic understanding of human nature.

And yet, in spite of your armchair philosophizing on "human nature", he or she is right - many of the people who pirate games would never have bought those titles in the first place. The assumption that all of those people would, without a doubt, have purchased a copy of the game - had they not pirated it - is a fallacy all on its own. Not to mention an incredibly presumptuous notion on behalf of the companies selling them.
---
IndieGamers.com :: Indie / Tabletop / Abandonware
#89YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/20/2014 11:14:26 AM
Why are PC gamers so defensive about piracy?

It really seems to touch a soft spot with them.
#90Worknofun370Posted 8/20/2014 11:35:02 AM
Mewone posted...
The assumption that all of those people would, without a doubt, have purchased a copy of the game - had they not pirated it - is a fallacy all on its own. Not to mention an incredibly presumptuous notion on behalf of the companies selling them.

Nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, thinks that every single person who pirates a game would purchase the game if piracy didn't exist. Nobody in this topic thinks that, and nobody at any game company thinks that either.
---
hasa diga eebowai