This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

23" 1080p monitor with best colors under $200?

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 8/15/2014 2:25:50 PM(edited)
Still looking up monitors and haven't decided in one yet. I don't need a super fast TN gaming monitor and I don't need an IPS with crazy viewing angles. I want something with great colors and no crappy coating or horrendous backlight bleeding. This will be used for immersive gaming, watching movies, and general browsing.

I heard VA panels offered some of the best black levels. I found a VA 24" Acer with 3000:1 native contrast for $150:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009656

I did some more researching and found surprisingly little on this monitor. Just these two glowing reviews. I feel like it might be best to go with this monitor.

I'm also considering any other options, namely the Dell P2314H. My question is, what should I be looking for? First I read some info on how a panel is great, then I do research and find common problems like backlight bleed, yellow tint, and glow. It's happened multiple times now and I've gotten to the point where I don't know if I'll be able to find something good under $200. I really don't want to spend more.

Basically I'm trying to replace my $300 budget HDTV that's sitting on my desk. It's 32" 1080p, so I can actually see individual pixels if I look close enough. The colors aren't phenomenal and I'm sure there's some pretty bad response time and input lag. Also, it shakes my desk since it's so massive. I do go to LAN parties and this thing is a nightmare to take. But it seems that from everything I'm reading and pictures/videos I'm viewing, even some of the top-rated panels often have ugly backlighting problems that I don't even notice on this cheapo Insignia TV. In a pitch-black room while looking at a black screen, there are some bright spots, but none of them are very obvious or in specific areas like corners. It just looks like an LCD trying to show black.
---
Steam: Sydite
#2SonyHoundDawgPosted 8/15/2014 2:53:24 PM(edited)
Just do your research, read review, watch reviews, plug the name of your monitor into youtube, youll find reviews there too. IF you have a Best Buy/Frys/ other electronic stores near bye, you might be able to check out the screen in person and mess with it.

A lot of the manufacturs specs are misleading. They are not regulated in anyway and they can all do their own tests and give you numbers that don't really mean anything since every brand does their different tests.

Every monitor around this price range is probably gonna have a little blacklight bleed, but at $200 you'll find real sweet screens that blow the tv away.
#3Explicit DankPosted 8/15/2014 4:00:58 PM
I've had 3 Acers, although not the model your looking at, and all have been good.

I use this now:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Computers-S230HL-ABD-WM/19714383

and it is better than the previous 2 Acers I had, and bigger. It doesn't have hdmi, and it sits really short, so I have to sit it on a book to get it the height I like.
---
Parental Advisory - Explicit Dank
#4OreoBoy206Posted 8/15/2014 4:23:08 PM
Check out the Dell S2440L. It's a VA monitor so the the blacks and contrast ratio (About 3000:1 according the review below) are good and it has the potential to have very accurate colors once calibrated. The screen is very glossy though, so if you don't like glossy displays disregard this comment.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-S2440L-24-Inch-LED-lit-Monitor/dp/B009H0XQRI
^^^Going for $189.99

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_s2440l.htm
^^^In depth review
#5RunFromThisGunPosted 8/15/2014 6:21:10 PM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
I don't need a super fast TN gaming monitor and I don't need an IPS with crazy viewing angles. I want something with great colors and no crappy coating or horrendous backlight bleeding.

2 options guy. Plasma and OLED.

There is no such thing as an LCD with great colors and no crappy coating or horrendous backlight bleeding.

I will say however, FALD (full array backlighting) LCD's can come fairly close. Unfortunately, they are hard to come by even in TV sizes.