This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What did they change in Windows 8 that almost no games work?

#11LvthnPosted 8/15/2014 8:35:56 PM
DarkVenom posted...
Lvthn posted...
I haven't had a single game fail to work on Windows 8 that would have worked on Windows 7. Deus Ex I confirm works fine.

Did Deus ex work straight up or did you do something to get it to work?

Steam install worked out of box.

I have had some games that required tweaking but it wasn't apparently Windows 8 related (Dark Souls had GFWL issues, off the top of my head).
#12ElDudorinoPosted 8/16/2014 3:25:46 AM
DarkVenom posted...
Even the original diablo from 1996 worked fine on w7.

No it didn't. A lot of people had to play it with batch files that kill Explorer before loading the game and re-open it after.

Anyway, I've found a few compatibility issues with Windows 8 compared to Windows 7 but you have to search pretty hard to find a game that works in 7 and doesn't work in 8. The compatibility between the two operating systems is barely any different at all.
#13Haley Joel OsmentPosted 8/16/2014 4:09:02 AM
http://abload.de/img/hurrdurrpjejn.png

TC can't into computers.

---
I see dead people.
#14Davel23Posted 8/16/2014 4:28:19 AM
I'm on Windows 8.1, I just loaded up and played GTA III without problem. It even natively supports 1920x1200 widescreen.
---
Your mom's box.
#15Tyler_NinjaCatPosted 8/16/2014 4:33:51 AM(edited)
ElDudorino posted...
DarkVenom posted...
Even the original diablo from 1996 worked fine on w7.

No it didn't. A lot of people had to play it with batch files that kill Explorer before loading the game and re-open it after.

For me I went into CCC and changed the graphics to power saving and Diablo worked perfect for me. CCC > (Power) Switchable Graphics > Power-saving GPU. No black screen with sound playing in the backround or weird colors. Worked perfectly normal as it should.
---
The lag giveth, the lag taketh away. - Orangenee
#16stav8Posted 8/17/2014 1:12:53 AM
More games have worked straight up on windows 8 than on windows 7. And issues with games ive had on 8 has been graphics card related issues not o/s unlike on 7
#17ShinkodenPosted 8/17/2014 1:26:44 AM
I've actually had more older games work on 8 then I did on 7.
#18PsythikPosted 8/17/2014 2:12:09 AM
DarkVenom posted...
Lvthn posted...
I haven't had a single game fail to work on Windows 8 that would have worked on Windows 7. Deus Ex I confirm works fine.

Human Revolution works, which is arguably (IMO) the better game anyway.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#19sfcalimariPosted 8/17/2014 2:42:50 AM
Only gaming problem I've seen with W8 is with 8.1, and it's a false positive memory leak issue that kicks you out of games to desktop. The cause is a driver compatibility problem with Intel integrated gpu's even when you're running a game on a dedicated gpu. Using W8 avoids this, at least for me.

Vista and W7 don't work with quite a few old games because they will not run on a computer that has Dx10 installed or something like that.

There's a lot of sound issues on older games, I remember trying to play Max Payne 1 on Vista and there was no music and all the sound effects were really messed up.

RAM issues are common too, like old games not running on 64-bit OS's. I know Silent Storm (great game) won't, it just can't handle the fact that you're running a 64-bit OS and thinks you have zero RAM and refuses to run.

There are usually workarounds for unviable old games but it depends on how popular the games still are, and often people just gave up on modding them or making fixes because nothing worked.

So no it's not a Windows 8 thing, it's more of a post-XP thing.
---
http://i75.servimg.com/u/f75/17/26/59/67/ku-xla10.jpg
"Permit me to rule over the goats as well as the sheep." --Zygmunt Augustus
#20TimePharaohPosted 8/17/2014 2:43:36 AM
Psythik posted...
DarkVenom posted...
Lvthn posted...

Human Revolution works, which is arguably (IMO) the better game anyway.

LOLWOT