This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Brand new laptop stuttering while watching videos

#1b richPosted 8/16/2014 7:57:28 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-15-6-laptop-intel-pentium-4gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-sparkling-black/3466008.p?skuId=3466008&id=1219091714060#tabbed-customerreviews

^^^^I just bought that laptop two days ago. I don't really need something powerful, I'm basically needing it to surf the web and do basic work on it. It stutters every few minutes while I'm watching regular videos on YouTube (for example). I researched the issue and apparently the processor isn't fast enough. I find that a little hard to believe because the processor in this is leagues ahead of the computer I just replaced which I bought in 2007 and was also an HP. My old computer never had this issue. I tried turning off the "hardware acceleration" option in Flash and it seems to help, but not completely get rid of the issue. I guess I could return the thing to Best Buy but I"m wondering, if I get a new computer (the same model), will it still stutter? Should I just get a different (more expensive) model?
---
Sig!
#2JKatarnPosted 8/16/2014 8:04:34 AM
That CPU is the lowest end in a line of entry-level CPUs, and the laptop itself is under $300 so I wouldn't expect miracles. That being said, you should be able to stream video smoothly - are you trying to stream at 1080p? I would try backing the resolution of the video down - it could also be an issue with your Internet connection/wireless network - have you tried streaming video from other sites?
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#3SnadadosPosted 8/16/2014 8:10:37 AM
Check your task manager to see if anything else is running.
---
Have you accepted Raspberyl as your loli and savior?
#4Fade2black001Posted 8/16/2014 8:10:58 AM
When watching a video open the Task Manager and look at the CPU usage. If its at a 100% all the time then yes the CPU isn't strong enough.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#5b rich(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 8:13:24 AM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
That CPU is the lowest end in a line of entry-level CPUs, and the laptop itself is under $300 so I wouldn't expect miracles. That being said, you should be able to stream video smoothly - are you trying to stream at 1080p? I would try backing the resolution of the video down - it could also be an issue with your Internet connection/wireless network - have you tried streaming video from other sites?

No I was not streaming at 1080p, I was streaming at 360p and it stutters. I understand that relative to what's available, this PC is "slow" but it is still far ahead of my old 2007 model which NEVER had this issue. Honestly, I don't know much about computers and I may just return this one to get a faster processor. What specifically should I be looking for in the specs to make sure this doesn't happen again should I decide to return this one?
---
Sig!
#6b rich(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 8:24:48 AM(edited)
Fade2black001 posted...
When watching a video open the Task Manager and look at the CPU usage. If its at a 100% all the time then yes the CPU isn't strong enough.

http://i62.tinypic.com/70hy83.png

That's a picture which shows my task manager while watching a random video on Youtube at 480p.

I guess I may return this and get one with a faster processor. What exactly should I look for in the specs to try and avoid this in the future? Again, I'm not looking for something spectacular, but there is no reason I should have to put up with frequent stuttering while watching videos on YouTube.
---
Sig!
#7JKatarnPosted 8/16/2014 8:37:26 AM
b rich posted...

From that pic it looks like only 10% of your CPU is being used, so I don't think it's a CPU issue. Have you tried updating your GPU drivers? This can make a substantial difference with integrated graphics.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#8SetzeraPosted 8/16/2014 8:50:30 AM
Try using Google Chrome, and see if you get stuttering. I have a feeling it's Firefox giving you trouble. The laptop is weak, but since the Task Manager isn't showing much struggle, it might be the flash player inside Firefox that's making the mess.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#9b rich(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 9:17:37 AM
JKatarn posted...
b rich posted...

From that pic it looks like only 10% of your CPU is being used, so I don't think it's a CPU issue. Have you tried updating your GPU drivers? This can make a substantial difference with integrated graphics.

In all honesty, I don't know what you're referring to. I don't know a lot about computers at all. Could you walk me through how to do that? Or at least point me in right direction.

Setzera posted...
Try using Google Chrome, and see if you get stuttering. I have a feeling it's Firefox giving you trouble. The laptop is weak, but since the Task Manager isn't showing much struggle, it might be the flash player inside Firefox that's making the mess.

I just tried it in Google Chrome. It still stutters.
---
Sig!
#10Sora_AnbuPosted 8/16/2014 9:21:21 AM
Try it when hard wired into a router, not using wireless. I think it might be the wireless card.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack