This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game developer in bed with gaming journalist.

#221KaiserWarriorPosted 8/18/2014 8:32:22 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
When someone in the game industry uses an insensitive word towards homosexuals it's news. When someone makes a comment about a game featuring "girlfriend mode" it's news. When Zoe was "harassed" it's news.

I agree, this isn't news (save for the conflict of interest bit.) But none of the above was either, and yet game journalism sites were eating that up, not burying it.

Just wondering where the consistency is is all.

The consistency is in the same place it always is where RadFem ideology (and the SJW outgrowths of it) is concerned: the only constants are that Men Are Evil and Women-Slash-Target-Group Cannot Be Criticized For Anything.
#222YombieePosted 8/18/2014 8:45:27 PM
So, let me get this straight......

.... a chick in/near the social spotlight (in terms of gaming) who heralds herself as some sort of progressive bastion of feminist rights proceeds to abandon all her scruples as she attempted to sleep her way to the top of her chosen industry, gets caught, attempts quell the situation with lies, while still maintaining her feminist stance (this makes her hypocritical).

This is AFTER lambasting a forum under false pretenses to stir the pot, cause commotion, and bolster sales of her videogame.

All for a videogame...

What a step back, not just for indie devs in the industry, but these so called, "professional" journalists as well.

Just another nail in the coffin, as we all knew (especially since Jeff Gerstmann/kane lynch) that these so called "video game reviewers" are paid off and mostly meaningless anyways.

Isn't that why we come here, to discuss videogames with others who aren't on the pay-roll?
#223LoshadtPosted 8/18/2014 9:09:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5-51PfwI3M

IA video about it.
---
Scientifically proven.
#224jakisthePosted 8/18/2014 9:18:30 PM
Shocking how widespread the cover-up is. I mean, Reddit and 4chan? That's deep cover.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#225VoxwikPosted 8/18/2014 9:24:54 PM(edited)
DaedalusEx posted...
El_Kaz posted...
Censor what? 99% of the whole fiasco is about a girl cheating on her boyfriend and sleeping around in general... that's not news.

When someone in the game industry uses an insensitive word towards homosexuals it's news. When someone makes a comment about a game featuring "girlfriend mode" it's news. When Zoe was "harassed" it's news.

I agree, this isn't news (save for the conflict of interest bit.) But none of the above was either, and yet game journalism sites were eating that up, not burying it.

Just wondering where the consistency is is all.

You seriously think her personal problems somehow equate to people throwing around derogatory words often rooted in dehumanizing entire swaths of people?

The vast majority of the time I ever see anyone complaining about a woman or whatever getting criticism it's someone making a claim like this, as if it justifies all the other nonsense.

Now the random Fez guy stomping all over his fans does fit the bill, and is news. Should this woman go around on some tantrum spewing hate everywhere I'm sure that would be news as well.

I cannot remember a time when I saw a gaming news article about some lame relationship drama. News flash: humans are hormone drugged nut jobs, this deserves a headline! This whole fiasco to me looks like a bunch of immature people throwing tantrums. Wow he got cheated on... isn't he so clever trying to make a meme out of it!

Edit: To correct my lapse in reading comprehension.
#226LoshadtPosted 8/18/2014 9:32:36 PM(edited)
Vox, you should really, really try reading some of the material provided in this thread. This whole situation is newsworthy because it points out censorship, hypocrisy, and corruption in the industry, and helps to undermine a movement that has been actively trying to ruin video games for years by exposing this.

It's not about the what, it's about the who and the why.
---
Scientifically proven.
#227El_KazPosted 8/18/2014 9:36:25 PM
***aThY posted...
No, that isn't "99% of the whole fiasco"

In terms of reactions to the story, it absolutely is.
Just look at this topic. For every even halfway serious post about actual potential issues raised by this, there are 50 posts about her appearance, the naked pics, whom else she may have slept with, "Five Guys" jokes, etc.
And that's on GameFAQs... I can only imagine how bad it was on 4chan and co. before their mods clamped down. Even if these big forums didn't "bury" the story, the serious part of the story would bury itself under the relationship drama part, because the internet horde clearly can't handle gossipy news about a promiscuous woman without losing their collective mind.

If there's going to be any serious pieces that come out of this, it'll be after the dust settles and the circus moves out of town. I'd at least wait until then before looking for cover-up conspiracies.
---
Wait... what?
#228LoshadtPosted 8/18/2014 9:42:18 PM(edited)
You're right, all discussion on the internet has to be serious business lest we drag the fair maiden's good name through the mud. It is most definitely not 99% of the whole fiasco, because this kind of thing happens in people's personal lives all the time yet gets no mention. This is a big deal because this individual is deeply entrenched in the video game journalism industry.
---
Scientifically proven.
#229HighOnPhazonPosted 8/18/2014 9:42:34 PM
Yombiee posted...
So, let me get this straight......

.... a chick in/near the social spotlight (in terms of gaming) who heralds herself as some sort of progressive bastion of feminist rights proceeds to abandon all her scruples as she attempted to sleep her way to the top of her chosen industry, gets caught, attempts quell the situation with lies, while still maintaining her feminist stance (this makes her hypocritical).

This is AFTER lambasting a forum under false pretenses to stir the pot, cause commotion, and bolster sales of her videogame.

All for a videogame...

What a step back, not just for indie devs in the industry, but these so called, "professional" journalists as well.

Just another nail in the coffin, as we all knew (especially since Jeff Gerstmann/kane lynch) that these so called "video game reviewers" are paid off and mostly meaningless anyways.

Isn't that why we come here, to discuss videogames with others who aren't on the pay-roll?

Uh, yeah. Basically.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#230Abiz_Posted 8/18/2014 9:57:32 PM(edited)
When these journalist spend more time whining then actually going out and trying to get a interview with developers it's pretty obvious they are scum. Their focus is no longer on games.

I mean what does it take to email a indy dev and ask if they have 10 minutes for a phone interview. A little research to prepare your questions then you should be good to go. Hell... When I was playing Unreal Tournament 2004. I used to email mod creators to do interviews with on msn and would put them up on the gaming community website that I was in.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior