This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This is what Silent Hills on the PC could look like. (NOT SAFE FOR LIFE)

#21PsythikPosted 8/17/2014 2:14:54 AM
MrMonkhouse posted...
http://i.imgur.com/KrhdC3a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yCoJBAz.jpg
I see you browse reddit as well. What you failed to mention was those were just screenshots from the PS4 development version (which as we know will look better than the final version) with the levels adjusted in Photoshop.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#22Futureops-Posted 8/17/2014 2:26:07 AM
Outlast?!
---
_______()>===<()______........._______I_
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-----------------^^----J
#23GoldninjaPosted 8/17/2014 5:10:58 AM(edited)
ChromaticAngel posted...
Goldninja posted...
TimePharaoh posted...
Goldninja posted...
Whatever. I care less about graphics and more about gameplay and story when it comes to this series. SH4 and on have been bad, imo. SH4 had a nice idea with The Room and I kind of liked it until half way through when health items became extremely scarce and I had to backtrack through environments. Also, the unkillable ghosts were annoying as hell. Wouldn't have been as bad if they didn't drain health by simply being near you.

Sounds like you just suck? Health items should be scarce, that's the point. And you could stop the ghosts if you really cared, not like you even spent any noticeable amount of time around almost any of them.

Uh... no. The Room didn't regenerate health anymore, making it less fun to navigate since the hazards could damage you. If you failed to use the candles properly, it turns into a death trap. And I don't know what game you played, but those ghosts were freaking everywhere and a complete annoyance to sift through. You could stop... I think five of them, and saving the swords for the super ghosts during the second half was better than wasting them on randoms. It may not be hard, but it's stil annoying and it didn't make the game any more fun.

I thought The Room was the scariest Silent Hill for precisely those reasons, it was so much more deadly than the others. There were also only exactly enough candles to banish all the poltergeists, and you couldn't ever backtrack, so, if you missed a candle, well, there is a part of your room you can never go near again.

There were some ghosts (the pseudo-invincible floating enemies that could go through walls) that would chase you across zones, the only way to deal with them was by incapacitating them with bullets, then using a magic sword on them, there were also exactly enough swords to take out each of those ghosts, and if you missed one, now you have an eternal immortal enemy that flies through walls hunting you for the rest of the game. The best part is, one of those swords is already stuck in a ghost, and you have to pull it out, freeing the ghost, so you can deal with the ghost that chases you across levels later.

Silent Hill 4: The Room was incredibly well designed and well thought out. I don't know why people hate it. It was a truly innovative game that was fantastic in nearly every regard. It's not my favorite (that's Silent Hill 3) but The Room was really good in general.

You could incapacitate the ghosts with anything. I didn't waste bullets on them because it would have been a waste. Some of them get up not even five seconds after you put them down, so it's basically a rush from one area to the next. I'm talking mostly about the second half, which was made more annoying thanks in part to a certain character following you around (in addition to the other character following you around). It didn't scare me, really. It just annoyed the hell out of me at times. I think it was mostly because I like to explore and it's difficult to do that with one or two immortal life sucking ghosts floating around.

Btw, there was some leeway. If you didn't put the doll into the chest, you'd have an extra candle to work with. I think there may have been an extra one or two somewhere, I forget.

For me, I think the disconnect from Silent Hill and the mythos really made me lose interest. The mystery of the room was the best part, story-wise, for me.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#24GoldninjaPosted 8/17/2014 5:24:38 AM(edited)
TimePharaoh posted...

It's a SURVIVAL HORROR GAME. Why would you expecting regenerating health when NONE of the other games had it? Or any decent Survival Horror game ever? And if you get the room haunted that bad, guess what? It means you suck, like I said.

You could incapacitate all of the ghosts and permanently drop the most annoying ones. What exactly is the problem?

Have you played the game? The room regenerated health every time you went back to it. Why wouldn't I be expecting it? It's the first SH to actually have a safe haven, so what the past games did or didn't do in that regard doesn't matter. Anyway, the room ceasing to regenerate health wasn't the problem for me. it was the fact that it turned demonic and could severely damage you is what I had a problem with. Since health items were so scarce, having to deal with that, as well as many ghosts that could harm you from a block away, made it an annoying trek that I didn't really enjoy that much. Yes, the first time I played it, I had no idea what the candles did, so yeah, it got pretty demonic.

The room turning demonic was a fun aspect and made it more interesting. The damage it inflicted if you didn't know what you were doing with the candles was annoying as hell. "Oh, you suck". First time through? Sure. I sucked in SH3 first time through too, but I recall enjoying that one.
---
#25GoldninjaPosted 8/17/2014 12:16:54 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#26GoldninjaPosted 8/17/2014 12:25:38 PM(edited)
Well here's some gameplay I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5AF_m3-4I&list=UU9CuvdOVfMPvKCiwdGKL3cQ

And this shows the ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDfVdafohvg
---
#27ethsfanPosted 8/18/2014 8:16:15 AM
Norman is in it. Does that mean ryan gosling is in silent hills too?