This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are pc graphics really that amazing?

#11VoxwikPosted 8/16/2014 6:50:19 PM
On the Japanese games front one of the most hilarious moments I ran into on this site was someone claiming I was wrong and that FFXIII couldn't be running at 30FPS because that looks bad and they would know if they saw a junky 30FPS frame rate. (The game runs at 30FPS, of course.)

There will be people that prefer 60+FPS. To claim it's impossible to tell is of course incorrect, but honestly I don't care that much. Give me a stable frame rate of 25ish+ and I'm fine, and lower is still playable. Before I upgraded my machine I was curious what some of the more heavy load events in Guild Wars 2 took my frame rate down to and it was something hilariously low, around 5 FPS yet still very playable because it wasn't stopping and jerking all over the place. Consistency matters more to me than the raw number.
#12rainedownPosted 8/16/2014 6:54:22 PM
Just to answer--60fps is the framerate standard largely because most people can't hit 120 yet on every game, so it's a hard question for most to answer because they may not have the fps or monitor to show it.

Personally I can tell the difference between 30 and 60+ but not 120. I have relatively poor eye site though, and haven't tried really hard to do it, honestly. I kind of figure by the time I upgrade to 4k (probably two years from now) I'll give it a shot if it still looks interesting.

The big reason to use PC as a platform vs the ps4 (without spending a lot of money) is that you can hit 1080 and 60fps on games with all the bells and whistles turned on, while also maintaining it throughout. It'll look amazing and also run buttery smooth, no tradeoff, no choosing one or the other.

At least graphically, there's a lot of other reasons to use it, but that's off topic a bit.
#13cuteboi100Posted 8/16/2014 6:57:51 PM(edited)
I know you aren't the only one but stop calling it the master race, you make it seem like PC folk are all nazis. The PS4 and X1 and PC are all the same "race" you know, computers. And yes you can tell the difference between 60 and 120 fps, the main points are the accurate depiction of fast moving objects and lower response time.

I have a 120hz monitor and the horsepower to push it.
---
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #5
#14Fishels(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 6:56:01 PM
I thought fps only made a huge diffrence with racing and fps. Boy was I wrong. And frame rate is a big part of graphics IMO.
#15Fishels(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2014 6:56:20 PM
I thought fps only made a huge diffrence with racing and fps. Boy was I wrong. And frame rate is a big part of graphics IMO.
#16ghstbstrPosted 8/16/2014 6:56:38 PM
I have a PC for gaming and currently an Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS4, and a Wii U. With all that I play more games in the past 9 months on Xbox One and PS4, just because graphics really aren't that better on PC. And anyone who says that they are better on pc has spent $1000's to get it, and spending that much isn't really worth it for better graphics when current consoles that costs $400 - $500 can look just as good on an hdtv.
The PC so called master race are a bunch of hard head baafons.
I like gaming so I don't care what it is that I am gaming on just as long as I am having fun. Which is why I have five consoles and a gaming pc.
---
---
Dell XPS 8300(X8300-7008NBK), Intel i7-2600K 3.4GHz, Intel H67 Mobo, Sapphire R9 270X 4GB, Rosewill 550W PSU, 8GB 1333mhz RAM, 2TB HDD, Win7 64bit Home Premium.
#17TimePharaohPosted 8/16/2014 6:58:54 PM
Fishels posted...

That's not an opinion that's just a stupid statement. A game at 1fps or 1000000fps will look the same.
#18cuteboi100Posted 8/16/2014 7:01:10 PM
TimePharaoh posted...

A game at 1fps or 1000000fps will look the same.

There are games in this world other than minesweeper you know.
---
Attack Jet - Division 1 (World) | Fighter Jet - Division 1 (World)
Fighter Jet - Division 1 (Toronto), Rank #5
#19rainedownPosted 8/16/2014 7:07:33 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Fishels posted...

That's not an opinion that's just a stupid statement. A game at 1fps or 1000000fps will look the same.

That's just rude. And computer graphics as I've heard it defined just relates to the output of the images, I've never heard it so dumbed down as to only relate to basically screenshots. In the worst case you're wrong, at best you're trying to point out something very minor that is a colloquialism that almost everyone uses just to be mean to someone on a board who's expressing interest in your hobby.
#20Erg0nPosted 8/16/2014 7:08:12 PM
ghstbstr posted...
I have a PC for gaming and currently an Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS4, PS4, and a Wii U. With all that I play more games in the past 9 months on Xbox One and PS4, just because graphics really aren't that better on PC. And anyone who says that they are better on pc has spent $1000's to get it, and spending that much isn't really worth it for better graphics when current consoles that costs $400 - $500 can look just as good on an hdtv.
The PC so called master race are a bunch of hard head baafons.
I like gaming so I don't care what it is that I am gaming on just as long as I am having fun. Which is why I have five consoles and a gaming pc.
---

how much do your games cost on consoles? that 400-500$ is a smoke screen because they don't make money on hardware but rather licensing of games.
---
http://i.imgur.com/9Kj6EkR.gif
"The tragedy is not to die, but to be wasted." - Hannibal