This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did you ever not finished game because of its difficulty?

#11Ticking_DeathPosted 8/17/2014 8:01:33 AM
I usually get bored enough to drop games that are too easy.

Disgaea and Dark Souls II come to mind.

Also Assassin's Creed IV, never have I been so disappointed by a game that was given to me for free.
---
MSI Z87-G45 ATX LGA1150 | i5-4670K | Asus GTX 760 | Corsair XMS 1x8 GB DDR3-1600 | Win7 Ultimate
Using a bow sure has its drawbacks. :V
#12Tyranius2Posted 8/17/2014 8:02:25 AM
VVVVV

Mercenaries on PS2 not due to difficulty per se, but because of random bullcrap

I'm on a cliff, need to call another strike to destroy the last dish or something. I call in a chopper to send supplies, the chopper frickin drops the box right on the edge of the cliff in a ramp 10 meters from where I'm standing. The box starts to roll down the ramp, I run after the box ALL THE WAY down to the ****ing base of the cliff, when I finally catch up to it and say "alright, time to finish this long mission" a tank sees me and fires a shell right in my mouth, instantly killing me.

I teared up a little bit, removed the disc, put it in the box but then I couldn't hold myself anymore, I smashed the box against the edge of my table with all my strength. The game never worked again.

This wasn't the first time this had happened, stuff like this happened throughout the entire game and that was the last straw. After dying you have to drive all the way back to get the mission again, and then drive all the way TO the mission, which takes literally 10 minutes.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#13YuniuninuniunPosted 8/17/2014 8:06:17 AM
I don't think I've ever not finished a game because it was difficult.
That may have led to me not finishing it but usually boredom is the main reason.

I tend to do this thing is games where when I reach a really hard section of the game that I can't beat at all I just restart the game from level 1. Most of the time I can get passed that section after I do that. And If I can I just repeat the process. If I repeat that too many times I'll probably get bored and give the game up.

I can't really recall any game that has happened in, but I'm sure it has happened and will probably happen again.
---
Friendly reminder to never play a game published by PWE (Perfect World Entertainment)
"The bigger the cushion the better the pushin."
#14DaedalusExPosted 8/17/2014 8:12:50 AM
SpaceChem.
#15chandl34Posted 8/17/2014 8:13:21 AM
Plenty of old 80s and 90s console games. But more recently, I haven't been able to beat Spelunky. I really enjoy the game, but it doesn't keep me interested enough to make the trek to Hell and back.
---
... even on Earth Mode.
#16arleasPosted 8/17/2014 8:15:58 AM
All the time... If a game is too easy I lose interest because "press button to win" isn't fun. If a game is too hard I have better things to do than raise my blood pressure because I was 1 pixel too far and got one shot killed or whatever... The best games have a really nice difficulty curve so every level you just need a little more effort than the last, and it's something new instead of "same as before, only now you have less health" or whatever cheeze-mode they try to implement.

I don't finish many games because there's always a point where the game stops being fun, and I'll get burned out even if the game difficulty is perfect but the game drags on too long. If I had unlimited free time maybe I'd try to finish more games, but I don't really care about finishing. I care about having fun.

So anyway, the short answer is "yes... game difficulty is important and my time is not unlimited.".
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#17CircleOfManiasPosted 8/17/2014 8:20:21 AM
Dustforce. After completing all the normal levels, you unlock the final world, in which this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxU7hc0nrBI) is, by a significant margin, the easiest level.
---
Sick liaisons raise this monumental mark
The sun sets forever over Blackwater Park
#18SetzeraPosted 8/17/2014 1:40:20 PM
There are tons of games I don't finish, so yeah, many of them could easily be from difficulty. It also doesn't mean as much now because I play a lot of sports games, that don't technically have an end. Which is odd, I play those on the hardest difficulty possible and enjoy it.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#19BogePosted 8/17/2014 2:10:25 PM
There might have been games that I didn't finish because they weren't fun because they were too difficult, but the difficulty wasn't the direct reason. For instance, I love D-Souls. I love how challenging and "hard" it is, and I embrace it. It's what makes the gameplay that much more exciting. But something like the Misery mod for Stalker, that just makes the game not fun anymore.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#20jake-sfPosted 8/17/2014 2:16:15 PM
Depends entirely on the game's concept of difficulty.

For instance, I tried going through the horror that is Dark Souls, and I never could. Oh, I don't mean I couldn't overcome them, just that it was nothing but tedious upon tedious to get over anything instead of it being genuinely challenging. That game is all tedious, no fun.

Basically, challenge and tedious are represented as one and the same almost everywhere. Tedious will get me to stop playing often, challenging rarely does.

Games that love to kill you all the time or throw so many unfair curve balls at you, when they don't even have any sort of quick save systems, are particularily disgusting. Its funny how the simple addition of quicksaves would make a LOT of games out there a million times better.

But hey. In this generation, nobody gets tedious and everyone is a "man" that goes through the "pain" of a tedious game and call themselves "good". Such a joke.

Anyway. There you go.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/