This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did you ever not finished game because of its difficulty?

#21seasloth21Posted 8/17/2014 1:38:29 PM
jake-sf posted...
Depends entirely on the game's concept of difficulty.

For instance, I tried going through the horror that is Dark Souls, and I never could. Oh, I don't mean I couldn't overcome them, just that it was nothing but tedious upon tedious to get over anything instead of it being genuinely challenging. That game is all tedious, no fun.

Basically, challenge and tedious are represented as one and the same almost everywhere. Tedious will get me to stop playing often, challenging rarely does.

Games that love to kill you all the time or throw so many unfair curve balls at you, when they don't even have any sort of quick save systems, are particularily disgusting. Its funny how the simple addition of quicksaves would make a LOT of games out there a million times better.

But hey. In this generation, nobody gets tedious and everyone is a "man" that goes through the "pain" of a tedious game and call themselves "good". Such a joke.

Anyway. There you go.

There aren't all that many unfair parts of the dark souls games. People who played DS in and out usually breezed through DS 2, even in the champion covenant(or whatever it's called). You also seem to presume something can't be tedious and challenging at the same time. There are certainly tedious parts in both games that require a good deal of patience to pass, that doesn't make it a bad thing though, nor does it exclude the fact that it has some very challenging segments.
You want quicksaves? Get out of here, part of the difficulty is knowing if you die you have to trek back to your body, or kill a ton of guys before fighting the boss.
Now as for other things that are both tedious, and challenging: go play an instrument, tell me it isn't both.
#22Nineteen99Posted 8/17/2014 1:46:43 PM
If I can beat Super Hexagon, I can beat anything.
---
"There must be some kind of way out of here, said the joker to the thief. There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief."
#23grimsmalicencePosted 8/17/2014 1:59:26 PM
Nope. If anything the games that I don't finish are the ones that couldn't keep me interested because of their lack in difficulty.
---
there's no present like the present
http://i.imgur.com/1Ta7uex.jpg
#24jake-sfPosted 8/17/2014 2:10:02 PM
seasloth21 posted...
You want quicksaves? Get out of here, part of the difficulty is knowing if you die you have to trek back to your body, or kill a ton of guys before fighting the boss.

That nullifies any argument you had.

You just put "a tedious run back to where I was" as part of "difficulty".

You prove the terrible thought process I just blamed.

I played Dark Souls, and besides playing with ridiculous care, all you really have to do is die and learn. Death is tedious as all hell, which changes nothing. Eventually you get back, you know what you're up against, and the game is not difficult then (though even then can be tedious, because the game lacks entertaining gameplay and everything is more like a puzzle)

Dark Souls is far more tedious than it ever was challenging. It has some challenge, but mostly in figuring things out once you know what you're up against, which is like I said, rather easy once you understand the mechanics of the game, but even then require patience, because the game's mechanics are limited. Thus again, whatever challenge there is keeps adding tedious on top of it.

Its not a game without any challenge whatsoever, but the layers of tedious are insane.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#25arleasPosted 8/17/2014 2:23:25 PM
I feel like some people are masochistic when it comes to gameplay. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing because I know the feeling of getting past a particularly tough section...it almost makes the "Pain" worth it.

The thing is, it's like saying "If I pinch myself over and over, I'll become the worlds best self-pincher and people will look at me and say 'Damn I wish I could pinch myself like that guy' and it'll be awesome." http://i.imgur.com/R2fFUd0.jpg Even if you're the world's best, what good is it? At least with something like Rocksmith (which has some VERY difficult songs) you're learning a skill that's worth something... or if you're good enough at some game to play it professionally that's something too.

But for the guy up there who mentioned Dustforce. That's a lot of time invested so you can post a youtube video of your achievement for all of 1012 views (at this time). If you had fun, it IS worth it... I just don't find self-abuse to be that rewarding.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/arleas/uc.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3635582762.png
#26WerdnAndreWPosted 8/17/2014 2:24:50 PM
TropicMoon10 posted...
Cave Story

I did beat it once on easy, but I don't feel like counting that. The final boss on normal is infuriating.

I also couldn't beat the last boss on normal, gave up...
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#27thatfool12GsPosted 8/17/2014 2:36:45 PM
Not since Genesis and SNES days tbh.
---
Asus Sabertooth z77 - Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz - Hyper 212 Evo - G. Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB Ram - EVGA GTX 680 - Xion 1000W PSU
#28PaukenPosted 8/17/2014 2:45:38 PM
Sly Cooper 3. The Cooper Hangar Defense mission in the 3rd world requires professional Starcraft levels of APM to beat. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make a minigame where you have to control two separate minigames at the same time and can only have one actively controlled, while failing if you miss 10 times, needs to be shot. That mandatory mission was enough to stop playing Sly 3 entirely.
#29Death_BornPosted 8/17/2014 2:56:51 PM
TrickStyle for Dreamcast is the first one I remember, I couldn't finish the final mission. Of couse I was a pre-teen at the time so I might have been able to figure out the controls today.

Usually I put down games because they're boring, not because I find them too hard, I can't think of any more recent examples.
#30Death_BornPosted 8/17/2014 3:03:58 PM(edited)
jake-sf posted...
seasloth21 posted...

That nullifies any argument you had.

You just put "a tedious run back to where I was" as part of "difficulty".

You prove the terrible thought process I just blamed.

I played Dark Souls, and besides playing with ridiculous care, all you really have to do is die and learn. Death is tedious as all hell, which changes nothing. Eventually you get back, you know what you're up against, and the game is not difficult then (though even then can be tedious, because the game lacks entertaining gameplay and everything is more like a puzzle)

Dark Souls is far more tedious than it ever was challenging. It has some challenge, but mostly in figuring things out once you know what you're up against, which is like I said, rather easy once you understand the mechanics of the game, but even then require patience, because the game's mechanics are limited. Thus again, whatever challenge there is keeps adding tedious on top of it.

Its not a game without any challenge whatsoever, but the layers of tedious are insane.

Actually, Dark Souls 2 had a lot shorter distance you had to run back to the boss than the first one, and it really detracted from the game's enjoyment. The best part of Dark Souls was that it made each boss feel like a marathon run, either fighting or running through the mobs just to even have a chance at the boss, made the areas more tense and the bosses feel far more powerful than they really were. In Dark Souls 2, the ability to warp and the numerous bonfires made it feel more like your typical RPG. The "tedium" of Dark Souls is what really makes the series special, and I would be the first to complain about tedium in a typical RPG, but running long distances to the boss in Dark Souls increases the sense of risk and reward.