This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Did you ever not finished game because of its difficulty?

#31Fade2black001Posted 8/17/2014 4:20:10 PM
Ghouls N Ghosts, Anyone?
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#32Ikari GendoPosted 8/17/2014 6:49:31 PM
DiviDude posted...
Ikari Gendo posted...
Original Ninja Gaiden for the NES. I've gotten quite far, but can't beat it.

I can throw dozens of other NES games into the fray as well. Rygar, TMNT, and Bart vs the Space Mutants come to mind right away.

As far as recent games go, no.

Weirdly, I've beaten both TMNT and Bart vs the Space Mutants (if that's the Simpsons game I'm thinking of). There were two RPG's for the NES that I could never even get close to beating (unfortunately I think they were obscure, can't remember their names), but for the platformers, I've actually done pretty well since I was young. I used to have to use the Konami code for Contra, but I can beat Contra with regular lives four out of five times probably.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wdw64aHYXA
#33TimePharaohPosted 8/17/2014 8:53:22 PM
Death_Born posted...
jake-sf posted...
seasloth21 posted...
You want quicksaves? Get out of here, part of the difficulty is knowing if you die you have to trek back to your body, or kill a ton of guys before fighting the boss.

That nullifies any argument you had.

You just put "a tedious run back to where I was" as part of "difficulty".

You prove the terrible thought process I just blamed.

I played Dark Souls, and besides playing with ridiculous care, all you really have to do is die and learn. Death is tedious as all hell, which changes nothing. Eventually you get back, you know what you're up against, and the game is not difficult then (though even then can be tedious, because the game lacks entertaining gameplay and everything is more like a puzzle)

Dark Souls is far more tedious than it ever was challenging. It has some challenge, but mostly in figuring things out once you know what you're up against, which is like I said, rather easy once you understand the mechanics of the game, but even then require patience, because the game's mechanics are limited. Thus again, whatever challenge there is keeps adding tedious on top of it.

Its not a game without any challenge whatsoever, but the layers of tedious are insane.

Actually, Dark Souls 2 had a lot shorter distance you had to run back to the boss than the first one, and it really detracted from the game's enjoyment. The best part of Dark Souls was that it made each boss feel like a marathon run, either fighting or running through the mobs just to even have a chance at the boss, made the areas more tense and the bosses feel far more powerful than they really were. In Dark Souls 2, the ability to warp and the numerous bonfires made it feel more like your typical RPG. The "tedium" of Dark Souls is what really makes the series special, and I would be the first to complain about tedium in a typical RPG, but running long distances to the boss in Dark Souls increases the sense of risk and reward.

Also the despawning enemies, so if you do suck...you can literally just walk to the boss with nothing in front of you.
#34TheMadTokerPosted 8/18/2014 12:38:36 AM
100s of attempts and I still haven't retrieved the Orb of Zot...
---
01001001 01101010011101010111001101110100 011101110110000101110011011101000110010101100100 01111001011011110111010101110010 01110100011010010110110101100101
#35JYLE_BrHPosted 8/18/2014 1:46:02 AM
Yes.
#36krazykillerkowPosted 8/18/2014 2:01:19 AM
TimePharaoh posted...
Death_Born posted...
jake-sf posted...
seasloth21 posted...
You want quicksaves? Get out of here, part of the difficulty is knowing if you die you have to trek back to your body, or kill a ton of guys before fighting the boss.

That nullifies any argument you had.

You just put "a tedious run back to where I was" as part of "difficulty".

You prove the terrible thought process I just blamed.

I played Dark Souls, and besides playing with ridiculous care, all you really have to do is die and learn. Death is tedious as all hell, which changes nothing. Eventually you get back, you know what you're up against, and the game is not difficult then (though even then can be tedious, because the game lacks entertaining gameplay and everything is more like a puzzle)

Dark Souls is far more tedious than it ever was challenging. It has some challenge, but mostly in figuring things out once you know what you're up against, which is like I said, rather easy once you understand the mechanics of the game, but even then require patience, because the game's mechanics are limited. Thus again, whatever challenge there is keeps adding tedious on top of it.

Its not a game without any challenge whatsoever, but the layers of tedious are insane.

Actually, Dark Souls 2 had a lot shorter distance you had to run back to the boss than the first one, and it really detracted from the game's enjoyment. The best part of Dark Souls was that it made each boss feel like a marathon run, either fighting or running through the mobs just to even have a chance at the boss, made the areas more tense and the bosses feel far more powerful than they really were. In Dark Souls 2, the ability to warp and the numerous bonfires made it feel more like your typical RPG. The "tedium" of Dark Souls is what really makes the series special, and I would be the first to complain about tedium in a typical RPG, but running long distances to the boss in Dark Souls increases the sense of risk and reward.

Also the despawning enemies, so if you do suck...you can literally just walk to the boss with nothing in front of you.

Though despawning enemies also made it a little tougher to grind souls, so its a bit of a trade off.
---
http://i.imgur.com/VPlDP.gif
#37Giblet_EnjoyerPosted 8/18/2014 2:14:33 AM
If possible, I'll just cheatengine a game that's too hard for me to beat, tbh (I can only remember doing this once though)

I got tired of Frozen Synapse and Spacechem because they got pretty annoyingly hard later on and stopped playing them. Can't think of any others
---
"one simply doesn't play a naughty dog game." - ServantOfErieos
Pccouchcoop.com http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
#38Jules RulesPosted 8/18/2014 2:42:16 AM
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

Ended up rage quitting on a certain boss.
---
What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?
XBL & PSN: OMGFather
#39truekainPosted 8/18/2014 2:57:33 AM
Hoshigami on the PS1. F*** that game.
---
A good elf is a dead elf.
#40GarquillPosted 8/18/2014 3:27:37 AM
This has only happened for old games. I don't know of any games from the last 20 years where the difficulty was the ultimate deterrent.
---
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein