This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ubisoft wants to make $60 customers into $200 customers...

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ubisoft wants to make $60 customers into $200 customers...
10 months ago#31
EA is way better than Ubisoft except for the customer service.
---
_______()>===<()______........._______I_
[__]//P[__]======^^^^^^-----------------^^----J
10 months ago#32
I get your point Abiz_, and I don't entirely disagree with you. the problem is that gaming is already comparitively speaking incredibly cheap in the entertainment industry. Going to the movies where I live costs like, 17 dollars a ticket for on average 2 hours. If a game on average lasts say, 30 hours, the same amount of entertainment "time" would cost me $255 at the movies.

Bowling is like 5-6 bucks a game, games last around 30 minutes, again, to get the same 30 hours of entertainment time that's going to cost around $300.

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it makes the point.
10 months ago#33
Edavy89 posted...
I get your point Abiz_, and I don't entirely disagree with you. the problem is that gaming is already comparitively speaking incredibly cheap in the entertainment industry. Going to the movies where I live costs like, 17 dollars a ticket for on average 2 hours. If a game on average lasts say, 30 hours, the same amount of entertainment "time" would cost me $255 at the movies.

Bowling is like 5-6 bucks a game, games last around 30 minutes, again, to get the same 30 hours of entertainment time that's going to cost around $300.

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but it makes the point.

The problem with this comparison is that it takes roughly the same amount of time to make a good 2 hour movie than it does to make a 30 hour game.
---
3DS FC: 0989-2237-3314
10 months ago#34
One can only hope for a gaming industry crash like the one in 1983 these days.

The companies spend millions of dollars on graphics, big name voice actors and other such trite making the so called AAA titles, while the games themselves are getting more and more bland, derivative and samey, nevermind cutting chunks of content to be sold as DLC, spreading it over different retailers and then realising all those annoying "GOTY Ultimate Complete" editions a year later, basically saying "screw you" to the people who bought the game during the launch period.

The people saying it's fine to charge more because bread and cigarettes get more expensive all the time while games have been costing 60 bucks a long time need to have their head examined, we've been paying more for years now, via DLC.
Who bought a copy of Mass Effect 3 and didn't shell out the extra coin for Javik or Leviathan? Who bought any of the "military shooters" and didn't spent money on DLC maps and such, so he can play with people who have.

All this is made even more hilarious with the fact that games like Divinity:OS exist, charging you way less for a full experience, while games like Tomb raider sell over 3.4 million copies 60 bucks each (plus god knows how much extra made on DLC, super ultimate editions etc. ) and still get called financial failures.

So let me raise a toast of evening coffee and hope the industry crashes and burns.
Maybe once it recovers, it will stop pumping money into bloated development budgets and making the graphics/marketing department and brand recognition do all the heavy lifting.
Anyone with me?...No one? Well then...back to playing FTL.
---
A good elf is a dead elf.
(edited 0 seconds ago)
10 months ago#35
Well, businesses are going to be businesses. Is this surprising?
---
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow.
10 months ago#36
Actually I have to correct myself. Ubisoft makes Rocksmith. Which I guess some can call a game. Really it is a learning tool with game like features. That game/tool with it's dlc(depending on your taste in music.) is worth 200+ but only because it's a learning tool. Compared to real lessons it's a steal.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
(edited 0 seconds ago)
10 months ago#37
TropicMoon10 posted...
That's cute

I'll continue to wait for Steam sales and never pay over $7 for anything they release. They should be paying us for tolerating the garbage that is Uplay.

---
Welcome to GameFAQs, home of the Drama Queens.
Where you can get modded for stating your opinion.
10 months ago#38
MortalDanger posted...
Am I the only person who doesn't see anything wrong with this?

Its business. Gamers just don't see it that way. Why should this industry be excluded from regular business practices? I don't understand.

It's bad business actually. Sustainability is more important then profitability but more and more businesses (not just gaming but especially gaming) is putting profitability before sustainability. Companies have the right to try and make more money but when their method of doing it is screwing over consumers over and over there is going to be a backlash and their sales are going to eventually drop (not soon enough though if you ask me.

Also companies having stupidly large development costs which they claim are necessary but really aren't, they waste so much of their budget on things gamers really don't care about the actual gameplay is getting worse and worse with horribly stupid game design choices.

Companies exist to make money but they make money off the consumer, so screwing the consumer over and pissing them over is ultimately counter-productive.
---
psn: Stalemate666
10 months ago#39
leon_trunks posted...
I'll gladly give them $200. Unlike EA, they actually make quality games.

Or they make different games in different settings with an identical formula which makes the games feel stale and repetitive.
---
PLAYING - Destiny Beta (PS4), Dark Souls II (PC), Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
PSN / XBL / NN - Robioto, STEAM - Robioto555
10 months ago#40
If that's the case then Ubi better have some ground breaking new game that's never been done before which will be the most fun game ever in existence?

Oh, what's that you said Ubi? You're going to just re-hash everything you've already done - just more of it? Yeah, no way in hell I'm spending $200 on a game. Two of your games will be the same price as a new console.

Incoming are the days of the $60 demo I guess.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ubisoft wants to make $60 customers into $200 customers...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived