This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

#111TaaronPosted 8/17/2014 9:49:13 PM(edited)
More demanding? Definitely not physically demanding which I believe is a big reason why people don't take e-sports seriously. Then there is also watching real people push their bodies to the limits and exhaustion risking injury in real sports whereas in e-sports you are focused on the game screen and not the players, while the players are kids sitting in chairs glued to the screen risking cramps or hand related issues. This just makes real sports feel more intense than e-sports.

Then there is the overweight issue that plagues America and other parts of the world. There is a push for people to eat less and become more physically active, whereas e-sports is opposed to this movement since your immobile.

Personally I take neither real sports seriously either, but I do have more respect for real sports than e-sports.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#112SkwidsterPosted 8/17/2014 9:50:38 PM
oh wo that first sentence tc i can't even
---
...*crawls back into lurker cave*
#113jolll4Posted 8/17/2014 9:54:51 PM
SleepComa posted...
have you ever seen a 35 year old football (soccer) player ?

Lets look at ice hockey. You ever heard of Teemu Selšnne? The captain of Anaheim Ducks and the Finnish team last season? He announsed retirement after the Russian Olympics and he happens to be 44.
---
3DS code: 0361-7746-4221 - Joe
Kanto has more poison types than the rest of the gens combined
#114Dieinafire1Posted 8/17/2014 9:56:53 PM
Tyranius2 change your user name or you will be forever known as the guy that thinks videogames are a sport. Fyi they are not
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.4 ghz | MSI 990FXA-GD65 V2 | EVGA SLI TITANS | 16GB 1866 DDR3 | 850W Corsair | Win8.1 64bit | 3TB HD 256 SSD | Hyper 212 Evo | 4K | PS4|Xbox1
#115Scisor50Posted 8/17/2014 10:07:29 PM
overmaxx posted...
I guess it's just the pretentiousness of it that puts me off, it's like this terminology ("e-sports") is not something that naturally happened, it feels more like a bunch of companies and tryhard hardcore gamer minorities wanting their hobby to feel "real" to the people who bullied them in high school.

It doesn't really need to be a "sport", it is and always will be simply competitive gaming. There's no need to go pretentious and try to look like the sports leagues, because they have nothing to do with gaming.

Might be late, but that's something I agree on. I mean, regardless of they people that don't want it to happen, "e-sports" will become a big thing someday. All kinds of nonsense always does.

But I honestly think they should come up with a less "try hard" name. Even professional gaming makes more sense than "e-sports". The name needs to be changed, really. And no, I don't consider car racing a sport. :P
---
"WHAT THE HELL IS AN ESPORTS?!" -Mr. Torgue
#116ClouddxPosted 8/17/2014 10:09:48 PM
TimePharaoh posted...
Notice how the only people who try to push "video games are sports!!!" are people who, you know, have never actually played a sport? And are THE stereotype definition of a nerdy basement dweller?

Probably a coincidence

I love esports can't wait till they become mainstream. Oh and I ran track and played Soccer in Highschool. So yep only the ppl who have never played sports want esports to succeed.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#117Unbridled9Posted 8/17/2014 10:12:19 PM
I'm a gamer and I don't take them seriously.

Course, that's because, when I look at those 'competitive' games all I see are snobs whining about the number of frames it takes to use a certain move and how even a split-second timing increase 'ruins their character'.
---
The enemy of knowledge is ignorance, not religion.
#118Stefan1277Posted 8/17/2014 10:25:47 PM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Sorry but I'm never going to look at a "professional" StarCraft or League of Legends player and have the same respect for them that I do for someone like Lebron James or Chris Paul. And luckily, the vast majority of the general public agrees with me.

As in, you won't have the same respect for intellectually superior people as you do for physically superior people.

That's the mentality of the majority, TC, a bunch of shaved monkeys cheering for other shaved monkeys who can throw something faster than the rest. A lot of E-Sports require mental superiority, and that has NEVER been looked upon as something good in life. Ever... At least not in this country.
---
Gamefaqs users in one article:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-behaviors-modern-world-only-making-worse/
#119ZamphiasPosted 8/17/2014 10:31:47 PM
There's very little movement involved. Mouse clicks, button pushes and/or hotkeys. It's not a sport in the way most people imagine with people in jerseys running or skating, hitting, scoring, etc. I guess it would be considered a spectator sport...but even still in my mind that's stretching it.

Foosball and Air Hockey are sports too? What ISN'T a sport?
---
FC: 4484 9481 3196 (Playing: New Leaf)
#120VoxwikPosted 8/17/2014 10:36:06 PM(edited)
I've never found the strange level of respect given to brute strength to make much sense. In its simplest terms it's like a thug beating someone up and claiming that shows how superior they are. Uh no, it just shows they are thug. "Urrr arrrrgh, you wanna go outside??, *pounds on chest like a wild ape*" It's so ridiculous anyone would consider an outright childish fist fight somehow indicative of bravery or worth. All a fist fight represents is immaturity, aside from in self defense of course.

I'm not saying sports have nothing to admire. The sheer level that athletes are deified by some though really does baffle me. The same goes for some e-sports players. To say physical sports are more valid all because it involves physical strength though I think is a bit ridiculous, and the chess example really does provide a very good parallel on that front.

Let's be real here... many of the most admired sports involve a bunch of people running around manipulating a ball. That's all it is. Yes there are rules and complexities and such but in the end it's a bunch of people playing with a ball. You could easily try to make it sound like something not worthy of respect in those terms.