This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

#151p00platysPosted 8/18/2014 2:45:33 AM
Edavy89 posted...
Entertainment is definitely important, no arguments about that, I tend to agree with xanthan however in that they still make a sickening amount of money. Multi million dollar signing bonuses for something that doesn't *really* contribute to societal growth is just stupid. i mean, yes, it provides entertainment, and that contributes in a way, but people can also entertain themselves. They deserve to make a decent living like everyone does, but they sure aren't doing anything important enough to deserve being filthy rich.

Do you know how much money top-tier athletes bring to their teams?

If people weren't paying so much to got to the games and buy the merchandise, they wouldn't be making as much money.
---
Kingdom Hearts II - Some Data Org. Fights by Me: http://tinyurl.com/dataorg
Lingering Will - No Damage: http://youtu.be/S0WJt2fF3D4
#152Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 3:20:30 AM
And? Mirrors Edge is a game is it not? Surely any game featuring some sort of competitive side to it can be classified as an "e-sport", no matter how its played or its popularity?

Sure, it can classify but it's a bad example when you use it to say "I managed to get into top 100" since the game isn't even really that popular, meaning a lot less people playing it so it's not an insurmountable task to reach top 100. Not when compared to reach top 100 in DotA or Starcraft or a fighting game, something no one here would be able to do IMO.

And just because there's a larger pool to choose from doesn't take away the fact of the lesser skill difference between the best and the average in regular sports compared to e-sports

Who's to say there's a lesser skill difference? Have you ever competed at pro level in any game? This is a baseless claim.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#153Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 3:31:56 AM
Fou Lu posted...
Because a real athlete needs to use their BODY and mind to reach peak performance. They spend their entire life training, and they burn out incredibly quickly when the training takes it's toll on the body.

Video gamers just uses a mouse and keyboard. Why would I ever respect someone who sacrifices nothing?

They are playing at a field with no retirement plan in place. I would say they are sacrificing enough since most of them don't break 2-3k a month and still play due to passion. What do you sacrifice?

CaptainKatsura posted...
The time spent trying to become a "professional" gamer could've been time doing more important things.

That could be said of any sport.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#154NemesisOgreKingPosted 8/18/2014 3:39:30 AM
My 2 cents...

Don't care, never have. Like all sports (and I use that term loosely here) they are really boring to
watch. Plus when I watch somebody play a Video Game, it makes me want to play it. Also these
"Sports" promote elitism and general scrubbyness.
---
~ Not gonna lie, Mike Tyson.
~ If you can get past, can you also get future?
#155fereydoomPosted 8/18/2014 3:50:00 AM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Sorry but I'm never going to look at a "professional" StarCraft or League of Legends player and have the same respect for them that I do for someone like Lebron James or Chris Paul. And luckily, the vast majority of the general public agrees with me.

Well, these same guys you don't respect much have accomplished more than you will in your lifetime. You're just another corporate worker while they are known worldwide and elite amongst gamers. You aren't even elite in your own job.

I like how you presume to know anything about me. I'm in medschool. I'd much rather tell people that I'm a doctor than a "Professional gamer".

this guy is a racist to professional gamers. never seen one. first time. lol
#156OMGWYATTPosted 8/18/2014 4:01:01 AM
Fade2black001 posted...
SleepComa posted...
have you ever seen a 35 year old football (soccer) player ?

Isn't Brett Farve like 40? He still plays...

Also TC E-sports are a joke. Its like Golf. You can be overweight and still do well.

Brett Favre retired 4 years ago, even if he was still playing I'm not sure why people think an exception existing disproves the norm.
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL/PSN: Riotsquad18
#157gfrequencyPosted 8/18/2014 4:06:51 AM
I don't understand how people take any sports seriously, "e" or otherwise.
---
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
#158OMGWYATTPosted 8/18/2014 4:07:34 AM
gfrequency posted...
I don't understand how people take any sports seriously, "e" or otherwise.

Seriously, how dare people be interested in something you're not?
---
3DS FC: 1263-6701-6748
XBL/PSN: Riotsquad18
#159CruorComaPosted 8/18/2014 4:08:46 AM
Well I look forward to them becoming more watchable and eventually mainstream. God knows I'd like to watch sporting events(semantics) that I actually care about.
---
If you have a problem with potheads, throw your computer out the window right now. Why should you be able leech off the creativity of those you condemn?
#160blax34dmPosted 8/18/2014 4:51:45 AM
grimsmalicence posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
I like how you presume to know anything about me. I'm in medschool. I'd much rather tell people that I'm a doctor than a "Professional gamer".

Med school isn't a noble profession like it once was. Overpopulation is a real problem these days.

There is no overpopulation with regard to med school, there is a large scale shortage of physicians in the country because med schools purposely stay restrictive. You're thinking of law school.