This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

#171matu90rkPosted 8/18/2014 5:54:51 AM
Also, nobody cares about how demanding it might be compared to other activities. What matters for any kind of entertainment form is how much people enjoy experiencing it, and second how much money it can be made with it.
I know 10 million dollar worth of prizes for MOBA tournaments might seem a lot, but that's pocket change for top professional athletes.
Lastly, you can't force society into liking and paying money to watch your favorite hobby. The only way to change the status quo is to make competitive gaming somehow more popular among people that don't play games (and also more profitable), and I don't see that happening soon, if at all.
#172blunderminePosted 8/18/2014 6:36:28 AM
@topic

sigh
---
Next Gen's system names:
PlayStation 5, Xbox Zero, Thwii
#173GGuitarGuy95Posted 8/18/2014 6:51:17 AM
E-Sports is getting some respect from the media because it can attract an audience and the prize money is exponentially large. Also E-Sports is trying to become more marketable. That's why they're looking for new people after the pro gamer becomes 25.
#174ClouddxPosted 8/18/2014 8:09:08 AM
matu90rk posted...
Well, athletics usually contribute to leading a healthier life.

Yeh of the people playing them, what about the people watching those sports?
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#175r0ge00Posted 8/18/2014 8:37:00 AM
zeroroute posted...
It's hard to take them seriously because of the games' general communities. Which is why I prefer the FGC since they're generally less cancerous etc.

Unless it did a complete 180 recently, no.

Worknofun370 posted...
I always find these topics pretty funny. People get straight up pissed that people refer to e-sports as a "sport."

Also this.
#176HappyHippo04Posted 8/18/2014 9:03:37 AM
Boge posted...
xanthan1 posted...
You know what I never got? Why do we venerate people who are good at sports, period? Woohoo, you spent time getting good at a game instead of anything useful and overall contribute nothing to society. Artists of any kind can at least have a lasting mark on a places culture.

Doctors? Plumbers? Electricians? They actually help people and are a boon to society instead of just being a person without practical skills.

Yeah, they should get paid for being damn good at their game. No, they should not make anywhere near as much they do.

So here's a serious question, why take ANY sports seriously?

Entertainment. They are entertainers, plain and simple. Someone who enjoys watching sports, those athletes performing is the same as if they were to watch some actors on the big screen. Entertainment for me is a key to keeping whatever little sanity I have. That sanity is as good as food, water, and shelter.

Well technically, entertainment is higher up on the hierarchy of needs than food, water and shelter.
---
PC | Wii U | 3DSXL | Vita
FC: 4639-9367-1408
#177DarthVashtiPosted 8/18/2014 9:55:09 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
DarthVashti posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

It's a bunch of people playing video games. There's nothing serious about playing video games.

And [insert sport here] is a bunch of people playing [sport]. Why is video gaming looked down upon but people playing soccer in the beach is not?

I feel I should make something clear. American Football, Soccer, Baseball or any other sport is just a bunch of people playing a game. I don't take any of that seriously. I was posting my own opinion about why I don't take it seriously.
---
XBL: blueknight1st
#178TiamatKillerPosted 8/18/2014 10:02:41 AM
Stefan1277 posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Sorry but I'm never going to look at a "professional" StarCraft or League of Legends player and have the same respect for them that I do for someone like Lebron James or Chris Paul. And luckily, the vast majority of the general public agrees with me.

As in, you won't have the same respect for intellectually superior people as you do for physically superior people.

That's the mentality of the majority, TC, a bunch of shaved monkeys cheering for other shaved monkeys who can throw something faster than the rest. A lot of E-Sports require mental superiority, and that has NEVER been looked upon as something good in life. Ever... At least not in this country.

The level of ignorance of sports in general is appalling, but I guess expected given the current environment such comments are found in. Then there's the gem of a comment above...can't even decide where to start with that one.

I'll just say this. As a college athlete who is also majoring in electrical engineering: you people have absolutely no idea how much thinking, planning, quick decision-making, preparation, and strategy goes into sports. Of course, there are exceptions where not as much of the aforementioned qualities are present (as seen in the disparity between a quarterback, and, say, a defensive lineman) but there are exceptions to every facet of life.

You think there is 'mental superiority' in e-sports? There is just as much, probably more, found in physical sports, where one must be able to read their opponent, predict their movements (along with their strategy), register body language, pay attention to subtle movements that indicate what they're planning...these things are also a part of e-sports. The difference is that in e-sports, the only thing you're worrying about is what your opponent may be thinking, and you only have to focus on your own actions and the screen. From the few matches I've seen, you don't look over to gauge your opponent. You focus on predicting their moves through the screen.

The fact that you regard them as 'shaved monkeys' just proves your bias, your intolerance, your ignorance, and your hateful personality.

I can't think of another widely accessible activity where competing, discipline, entertainment, healthy exercise, the ability to cope with loss, the development of the desire to succeed, preparation for developing yourself to be better than others, and overall personal growth are so conveniently rolled into one, easy to access package. Such views and asinine statements are why things like video games, computer programming, and other science-oriented pursuits are regarded with such a prominent stereotype.

But please, continue to propagate it and close your mind to one of the most prominent aspects of society.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#179TiamatKillerPosted 8/18/2014 10:05:35 AM
Clouddx posted...
matu90rk posted...
Well, athletics usually contribute to leading a healthier life.

Yeh of the people playing them, what about the people watching those sports?

People who watch the sports are typically interested in said sports. People interested in said sports are probably likely to participate, in some form or another, in said sport.

You can turn that statement around and say: People who participate in e-sports inherently lead a sedentary and unhealthy lifestyle, what of the people who are watching them?

Both statements in the end don't say anything and don't really contribute anything.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#180Black_AssassinPosted 8/18/2014 10:21:43 AM
I find it funny how people on a message board about video games try their hardest at mocking people who play video games.
---
lowercase