This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

#181Worknofun370Posted 8/18/2014 10:25:32 AM
TiamatKiller posted...
People who watch the sports are typically interested in said sports. People interested in said sports are probably likely to participate, in some form or another, in said sport.

While I without question see the basic logic in this. Is there any evidence that actually supports this though?

Anecdotally I don't really see the correlation holding up. I go to a fair amount of sporting events, and based on the fat content I see, I'm pretty skeptical that most of the people in the crowd actually do any type of physical activity period, let alone actually playing the sport we're watching.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#182MadPinoRagePosted 8/18/2014 10:57:22 AM
E-sports are sports but not like sports like Football, Basketball, Soccer, Hockey, etc.

E-sports aren't physically demanding.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
#183Psykic PetrolPosted 8/18/2014 11:06:21 AM
Is there a tl;dr for the last 80 or so posts, or is it pretty much the same as the first ~100?
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#184specter1717Posted 8/18/2014 11:14:31 AM
I guess by definition it's a sport. But those that think it's even close to being on the same level as football or hockey just wow.
#185KillerTrufflePosted 8/18/2014 11:42:11 AM
Worknofun370 posted...
TiamatKiller posted...
People who watch the sports are typically interested in said sports. People interested in said sports are probably likely to participate, in some form or another, in said sport.

While I without question see the basic logic in this. Is there any evidence that actually supports this though?

Anecdotally I don't really see the correlation holding up. I go to a fair amount of sporting events, and based on the fat content I see, I'm pretty skeptical that most of the people in the crowd actually do any type of physical activity period, let alone actually playing the sport we're watching.

I agree - I know a ton of people who watch football, and I'd be surprised if even a small fraction of them have so much as touched a football themselves in the past couple decades. In fact, I think it would be a much safer bet that very few of the people overall who watch any given physical sport actually participate in that sport themselves.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#186MarikhenPosted 8/18/2014 12:10:50 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
It's actually MORE demanding than any other actual sport. Do you see 30-35 year old pro gamers? No. When a pro gamer reaches about 25 years of age, his sponsors will already be contemplating firing the player, with very few exceptions like Merlini who recently joined a team.

Agreed. Sex is far more demanding than a lot of the regular sports out there, especially if you keep it up in a competitive fashion for hours on end while others watch.
---
Logic is the antithesis of faith, else why is it that faith defies logic while logic denies faith?
#187Bane766Posted 8/18/2014 12:13:52 PM
Well...for most of us esports are just BORING. Watching actual sports can be exciting. Most of us just don't get that from esports-hell most of these I'd rather play the game myself then watch someone else do it lol. Can't say the same thing about actual sports-sure golfing is fun, but I'd rather not get crushed by some 400 pound man playing football.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort
#188NotQuiteAFreakPosted 8/18/2014 3:01:50 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
And? Mirrors Edge is a game is it not? Surely any game featuring some sort of competitive side to it can be classified as an "e-sport", no matter how its played or its popularity?

Sure, it can classify but it's a bad example when you use it to say "I managed to get into top 100" since the game isn't even really that popular, meaning a lot less people playing it so it's not an insurmountable task to reach top 100. Not when compared to reach top 100 in DotA or Starcraft or a fighting game, something no one here would be able to do IMO.

True, Mirror's Edge is less popular. But does that take away the skill required to do well at it? I mean lacrosse is a less popular than football would you say it takes less skill to be good at it? Would I have more success trying to become the number 1 lacrosse player just because fewer people play it than football?

Maybe people don't respect e-sports because it's just a popularity contest between peoples favourite games. As well as this maybe there are too many games for there to be any standardization of what can classified as an an "e-sport".

And just because there's a larger pool to choose from doesn't take away the fact of the lesser skill difference between the best and the average in regular sports compared to e-sports

Who's to say there's a lesser skill difference? Have you ever competed at pro level in any game? This is a baseless claim.

Yes, Mirror's Edge. :P

And have you ever competed in a World Cup final? If my claims are baseless than yours are just as baseless as mine.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#189Worknofun370Posted 8/18/2014 3:03:38 PM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
But does that take away the skill required to do well at it?

It takes less skill to be one of the top 100 at it.

Would I have more success trying to become the number 1 lacrosse player just because fewer people play it than football?

Compared to being the #1 player in football? Yes, without question.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#190Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 3:25:33 PM
Yes, Mirror's Edge. :P

So no experience with any competitive games? The ones where players are pitted against each other and not just comparing high scores?

And have you ever competed in a World Cup final? If my claims are baseless than yours are just as baseless as mine.

You're the one claiming the skill gap is lesser and you can't back that fact up. I didn't claim anything.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius