This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

#21Psykic PetrolPosted 8/17/2014 11:55:18 AM
These sort of topics are probably one of the reasons why most people don't take it seriously.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#22YogaPantsLoverPosted 8/17/2014 11:58:04 AM
Its because gaming is a cognitive skill, not a physical skill. That is why you have people who can be expert gamers but too weak to do even a single push up or body weight squat.

When people think of sports they think of their participants as athletes, its hard to make the case that gaming is an athletic endeavor.
#23reincarnator07Posted 8/17/2014 12:00:54 PM
I agree with your statement, but not with your reasoning.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#24SetzeraPosted 8/17/2014 12:12:15 PM
I have to agree, reaction speed goes down as you get older, but strategy can improve. Depends on the game though.

I personally don't care in the slightest for e-sports, but I admit, it takes skill to compete with those people.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#25Psykic PetrolPosted 8/17/2014 12:12:45 PM
It's probably also worth pointing out the flaw in the belief that youth gives an insurmountable advantage, when peak physical age is generally around mid- to late-20s.
---
How do you ejaculate from plane? I try to press the buttons but I do not find it. Sorry for my bad english - Bean0
#26xanthan1Posted 8/17/2014 12:25:05 PM(edited)
You know what I never got? Why do we venerate people who are good at sports, period? Woohoo, you spent time getting good at a game instead of anything useful and overall contribute nothing to society. Artists of any kind can at least have a lasting mark on a places culture.

Doctors? Plumbers? Electricians? They actually help people and are a boon to society instead of just being a person without practical skills.

Yeah, they should get paid for being damn good at their game. No, they should not make anywhere near as much they do.

So here's a serious question, why take ANY sports seriously?
#27BogePosted 8/17/2014 12:36:27 PM
xanthan1 posted...
You know what I never got? Why do we venerate people who are good at sports, period? Woohoo, you spent time getting good at a game instead of anything useful and overall contribute nothing to society. Artists of any kind can at least have a lasting mark on a places culture.

Doctors? Plumbers? Electricians? They actually help people and are a boon to society instead of just being a person without practical skills.

Yeah, they should get paid for being damn good at their game. No, they should not make anywhere near as much they do.

So here's a serious question, why take ANY sports seriously?

Entertainment. They are entertainers, plain and simple. Someone who enjoys watching sports, those athletes performing is the same as if they were to watch some actors on the big screen. Entertainment for me is a key to keeping whatever little sanity I have. That sanity is as good as food, water, and shelter.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#28Edavy89Posted 8/17/2014 12:53:54 PM
Entertainment is definitely important, no arguments about that, I tend to agree with xanthan however in that they still make a sickening amount of money. Multi million dollar signing bonuses for something that doesn't *really* contribute to societal growth is just stupid. i mean, yes, it provides entertainment, and that contributes in a way, but people can also entertain themselves. They deserve to make a decent living like everyone does, but they sure aren't doing anything important enough to deserve being filthy rich.
#29BogePosted 8/17/2014 12:55:09 PM
Edavy89 posted...
Entertainment is definitely important, no arguments about that, I tend to agree with xanthan however in that they still make a sickening amount of money. Multi million dollar signing bonuses for something that doesn't *really* contribute to societal growth is just stupid. i mean, yes, it provides entertainment, and that contributes in a way, but people can also entertain themselves. They deserve to make a decent living like everyone does, but they sure aren't doing anything important enough to deserve being filthy rich.

I agree.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#30MahoganyTooth92Posted 8/17/2014 1:02:48 PM(edited)
The reason is that gaming is still a relatively new form of entertainment. As time passes, E-Sports will become more and more socially accepted, and more widely-watched.
---
"I'm amazed TC is still posting. It's not your everyday run of the mill stupidity. This is advanced stupidity." -nickizgr8