This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

#211TiamatKillerPosted 8/19/2014 11:38:26 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
TiamatKiller posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
Yeah, people like to say "video games are just sitting on your ass all day".

They forget that 15 hours of gaming a day puts a huge strain on your body. At least the 8 hours athletes go through of training makes them feel good at the end of the day. A 15 hour gaming session makes you feel terrible sometimes. Also the health issues you come across, weak bones due to no exercise and eventual death by pulmonary embolism.

It's not as easy as it sounds. I bet nobody here plays 15 hours a day on a regular basis. I used to and I know how bad it feels.

....sooo, we should be touting them as heroes for actively supporting an unhealthy lifestyle? What's your point

No, you should respect them because they're not just "sitting on their ass". They are sacrificing their health and own well-being to compete in the area they love.

Respecting them and placing value in them as 'athletes' who compete in 'e-sports' are two separate things, and loosely related to each other at best.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#212NotQuiteAFreakPosted 8/19/2014 1:11:20 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
"Any game" means any game, competitive or no. So I repeat Mirror's Edge.

Alright then, you competed at pro level at mirror's edge... but this has nothing to do with the topic. Playing against the game and comparing high scores with other people is not the same as competing against another player in a truly competitive game.

It would be like having a Starcraft competition being who can beat a bot the fastest. While I think that could be enjoyable to watch, it would just be a joke cup.

Alright maybe it isn't as competitive. But it's still completely relevant, it's still part of the "e-sport" selection regardless of its as competitive as Starcraft... If you're dismissing Mirror's Edge because it lacks competition then you're dissing other games which have had a similar sense of competitiveness but didn't pit player against player. In your view, games like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong which spawned an extremely competitive environment back in its day get dismissed simply because they don't put players in a "truly competitive" (Direct) environment. Regardless, your dismissal of some games over others only serves to make me take esports less seriously, than I did before I entered this topic.

Though the *evidence* you provided doesn't actually prove your point at all. (There are plenty of people over 25 who are "Pro Gamers" As a quick Google search reveals players even as old as 33: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal1ty http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/NesTea http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/White-Ra http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/BoxeR) So, again, I repeat, your claim is just as baseless as mine.

Ok, so we can agree that e-sports aren't more demanding, but they also don't have lesser skill gaps than real sports.

Yes they do? Alright then let's consider the skills required to play say StarCraft and the skills required to play football.

Football

- Concerning strategic skills it has elements of: Tactical planning and awareness and tactical reactions, environmental awareness, co-operation, communication.
- There is also physical abilities such as: Stamina, speed & acceleration, strength, jumping, balance, agility.
- Then there is the "Football specific skills" for lack of a better word such as: ball control, passing, shooting, heading, tackling, crossing and goalkeeping etc.

All these skills can be further subsided into subsections IE regular passing, lobbed passing, through passing. There also positions which require take specific roles to be taken and where different skills are of more important etc. These skills also need to always be maintained and improved in training too. Added onto all this is the skills the manager needs to act as an overseer of all of this and as the team as a whole, which requires an entirely different set of skills.

StarCraft 2

- While I'll admit StarCraft skills does have a lot of the skills concerning strategy, like: Tactical awareness, planning and reactions (Though mainly relying on this factor), environmental awareness, resources management, co-operation and communication (Though only in team games) and typing/keyboard and mouse skills.
- And no before you say it, StarCraft 2 does NOT require physical skills apart from the ability to navigate a keyboard and mouse well.

So, no I do think they have a lesser skill game than real sports.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#213NotQuiteAFreakPosted 8/19/2014 1:13:39 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
It feels bad because you're sitting on hour ass doing nothing.

Are you agreeing with me then? Video games require you to be sitting on your ass. Most of them anyway. Those who take part in the professional scene of gaming have to deal with this hence why it isn't so easy to be a pro-gamer. It's not just sitting on your ass. It's sitting on your ass and being able to take the health problems you're gonna have. Takes guts.

So 150 minutes of aerobic activity a week? Plus 2, count 'em, 2 strength exercises? (As says the department of health and human services recommends: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20057916) Wow, gutsy.

Stop grasping because you never got picked for anything in gym class as a kid.

I never attended gym class. Ever.

Right thanks for backing up my statement that your claim is indeed baseless.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#214Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 1:41:10 PM
Alright maybe it isn't as competitive. But it's still completely relevant, it's still part of the "e-sport" selection regardless of its as competitive as Starcraft... If you're dismissing Mirror's Edge because it lacks competition then you're dissing other games which have had a similar sense of competitiveness but didn't pit player against player. In your view, games like Pac-Man or Donkey Kong which spawned an extremely competitive environment back in its day get dismissed simply because they don't put players in a "truly competitive" (Direct) environment. Regardless, your dismissal of some games over others only serves to make me take esports less seriously, than I did before I entered this topic.

Any game where you can't influence your opponent's actions does not belong in this discussion. As for the skill gap, let's agree to disagree. There's no way to effectively measure this.

So 150 minutes of aerobic activity a week? Plus 2, count 'em, 2 strength exercises? (As says the department of health and human services recommends: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20057916) Wow, gutsy.

Not every gamer is aware of that, by making e-sports larger this could become common knowledge. There's nothing to lose by respecting e-sports.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#215Worknofun370Posted 8/19/2014 2:00:15 PM
NotQuiteAFreak posted...
- And no before you say it, StarCraft 2 does NOT require physical skills apart from the ability to navigate a keyboard and mouse well.

You're simply wrong here.

The level of speed and dexterity that high level SC2 pros have is without question a physical skill higher than "navigating a keyboard and mouse well." Not many people can maintain a legit 300+ APM while not mis-clicking.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you're just speaking from ignorance. Also, before someone claims I am, I'm NOT trying to argue that physical skill need to be a SC2 pro is at the same level needed to be a pro in football.
---
hasa diga eebowai
#216KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 2:39:31 PM
The whole debate is actually kind of interesting to me. I personally also see it as a little bit silly to consider PC gaming a "sport," but that's only because we've never really thought of it that way before. In looking at the definition of "sport" and some of the other passtimes that are classified as sports (chess, shooting, and motorsport for example), there is absolutely no grounds whatsoever to exclude PC gaming from the list. I have yet to see even one single legitimate argument against counting it as a sport, aside from "it's going to hurt my feelings and make me feel like less of a man for having my football skills considered in the same classification as someone clicking a mouse."
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#217HighOnPhazonPosted 8/19/2014 7:32:55 PM
Tyranius2 posted...

Topic over?
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#218InfinityOver0Posted 8/19/2014 8:11:20 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

Topic over?

---
For the Zerg!
natural doctrine 9/28 !
#219HydroCannabinolPosted 8/19/2014 8:17:10 PM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Sorry but I'm never going to look at a "professional" StarCraft or League of Legends player and have the same respect for them that I do for someone like Lebron James or Chris Paul. And luckily, the vast majority of the general public agrees with me.

Well, these same guys you don't respect much have accomplished more than you will in your lifetime. You're just another corporate worker while they are known worldwide and elite amongst gamers. You aren't even elite in your own job.

I like how you presume to know anything about me. I'm in medschool. I'd much rather tell people that I'm a doctor than a "Professional gamer".

Watch out guys, he's a med student.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#220Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 8:23:10 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Tyranius2 posted...

Topic over?

What does that have to do with anything? I don't care for physical activities unless deeding is something you would consider a physical activity. It does exert my arm I suppose.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius