This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how there's people who don't take e-sports seriously

#221NotQuiteAFreakPosted 8/19/2014 8:21:30 PM
Tyranius2 posted...

What does that have to do with anything? I don't care for physical activities unless deeding is something you would consider a physical activity. It does exert my arm I suppose.

Because you made statements like this:

It's actually MORE demanding than any other actual sport.

And this:

Well, these same guys you don't respect much have accomplished more than you will in your lifetime. You're just another corporate worker while they are known worldwide and elite amongst gamers. You aren't even elite in your own job.

As well as this:

Who's to say there's a lesser skill difference? Have you ever competed at pro level in any game? This is a baseless claim.

And you've never even attended gym class. Therefore you're also in no position to judge the requirements regular sport demands, just as much as you said those who haven't played at a Pro level, aren't in a position to judge esports. Even more so because this is gamefaqs, I think its safe to assume we've all actually played a game and I'd imagine at least some of us have played in some regular sports too. So we've all held some experience in the field of gaming giving all of us some ground to give judgement to esports (Which you denied we could), and some of us ground to make comparisons between sport and esports, of this comparative ground, you had none.

Anyway I agree to disagree on the issue, also I take back that esports doesn't require zero physical skill.
---
Not changing sig till we get a sequel to Freedom Fighters.
Started 13/4/2010
#222TiamatKillerPosted 8/19/2014 10:12:30 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
The whole debate is actually kind of interesting to me. I personally also see it as a little bit silly to consider PC gaming a "sport," but that's only because we've never really thought of it that way before. In looking at the definition of "sport" and some of the other passtimes that are classified as sports (chess, shooting, and motorsport for example), there is absolutely no grounds whatsoever to exclude PC gaming from the list. I have yet to see even one single legitimate argument against counting it as a sport, aside from "it's going to hurt my feelings and make me feel like less of a man for having my football skills considered in the same classification as someone clicking a mouse."

That mindset is based off the assumption that some of those sports are considered true sports to the general populace.

The fact is, people don't consider chess a sport (though if sports were redefined to focus on mental abilities and actions it certainly would), don't consider shooting a sport, etc.

And no, at least in my own experiences, people aren't worried about this fabricated emasculation you bring up.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ | GTX 560Ti (2GB) @930MHz | Asus P8Z77-V Pro | Samsung 840 (250GB) | 1TB Seagate 7200rpm | 8GB RAM | Zalman 9900 MAX | CoolerMaster HAF 912
#223jolll4Posted 8/19/2014 10:13:59 PM
KabtheMentat posted...
Stefan1277 posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Sorry but I'm never going to look at a "professional" StarCraft or League of Legends player and have the same respect for them that I do for someone like Lebron James or Chris Paul. And luckily, the vast majority of the general public agrees with me.

As in, you won't have the same respect for intellectually superior people as you do for physically superior people.

That's the mentality of the majority, TC, a bunch of shaved monkeys cheering for other shaved monkeys who can throw something faster than the rest. A lot of E-Sports require mental superiority, and that has NEVER been looked upon as something good in life. Ever... At least not in this country.

Sounds like someone's never actually played a real sport, at least not at a competitive level. If you think there's no amount of a thinking going on when playing, then I don't know what to tell you because it would be impossible to actually explain.

Believe it or not, most actual sports are mostly mental. You may run faster or throw further than the other guy, but if you don't know how to react to situations, anticipate moves, and out think the other guy, you're going to lose 9/10 times.

True, also in some cases if you just run around without thinking you might get seriously injured. Corner play in hockey is a pretty good example. It seems like the players just get the puck and the game goes on, but if you don't keep your head up the worst case is you'll end up paralyzed in a hospital or six feet under.
---
3DS code: 0361-7746-4221 - Joe
Kanto has more poison types than the rest of the gens combined
#224Tyranius2(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 3:49:21 AM
And you've never even attended gym class.

I never attended gym class. I never said I didn't play sports when I was a kid. I did play soccer and dodgeball around the block, nowadays I just run on the treadmill at home.
---
http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/Tyranius
#225sonicteam2k1Posted 8/20/2014 4:30:31 AM
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Tyranius2 posted...
_Marka_Ragnos_ posted...
Sorry but I'm never going to look at a "professional" StarCraft or League of Legends player and have the same respect for them that I do for someone like Lebron James or Chris Paul. And luckily, the vast majority of the general public agrees with me.

Well, these same guys you don't respect much have accomplished more than you will in your lifetime. You're just another corporate worker while they are known worldwide and elite amongst gamers. You aren't even elite in your own job.

I like how you presume to know anything about me. I'm in medschool. I'd much rather tell people that I'm a doctor than a "Professional gamer".

pwned lol
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#226sportsguy3346Posted 8/22/2014 3:06:00 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
It's actually MORE demanding than any other actual sport.

Well that's wrong, but it's also only looking at the top tier of the sport.

When looking at the bottom (casual, majority of people) tier of the sport, what's really more demanding? Your first LoL game, or your first full basketball game?

eSports are not more demanding
---