This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

World of Warcraft Subscription Costs Increasing This November For UK Region

#1zerooo0Posted 8/17/2014 5:29:26 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-of-warcraft-subscription-costs-increasing-th/1100-6421778/

This is hilarious. Instead of decreasing price or give players some sort of incentive to stay Blizzard gives them more incentive to leave. I encourage any UK players to just drop it after this to teach Blizzard a lesson. After all the game is dying.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#2Eclypse9810Posted 8/17/2014 5:47:58 PM
WoW has been dying for about as long as PC Gaming has.

Dunno why they increased it, but for the people who already play it it won't make much of a difference.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#3DawnshadowPosted 8/17/2014 5:58:51 PM
Eclypse9810 posted...
WoW has been dying for about as long as PC Gaming has.

Dunno why they increased it, but for the people who already play it it won't make much of a difference.

Exchange rates.

Basically, the cost in pounds was cheaper than the cost in euros, so they adjusted it slightly. The difference is one pound per month, or $1.67. Your price also doesn't change if you're currently subbed.

I don't think that $2 a month is going to break anyone's bank.
---
*Turn Evil can now be cast on players. When used, it applies a small goatee and causes them to explain their diabolical plans while steepling their fingers.
#4VoxwikPosted 8/17/2014 9:19:30 PM
The problem I see here is at the current exchange rate at least according to Google, the current price is already $15, which is the "standard" MMORPG rate right now. The price hike puts them above what people in the US here would pay. What especially makes it pointless is that there's no way they are hurting for money, so doing a price hike like this invites bad publicity for no good reason, unless they want to charge more in Europe than in the USA.
#5SetzeraPosted 8/17/2014 10:01:36 PM
Hmm, well I didn't like paying a sub fee before, and so I didn't ... This does nothing to encourage me to come back to the game.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#6Nex-Gen63759Posted 8/17/2014 10:06:52 PM
I'm in 'Murica so who cares

land of the freedom
#7Nmilek1Posted 8/17/2014 10:39:58 PM
They should not be asking for anything considering the game has had no new content for over 14 months which must be a bloody record for MMO's even F2P korean crap manage to churn out monthly updates.

Subs should be going down across the board if anything.
#8YombieePosted 8/17/2014 11:02:12 PM
With the talks of wow2 increasing, i am betting this is but a step in cannibalizing this old game to allow for more people to reinvest into their newer products.

People who have spent innumerous amounts of moolah and time on the game would probably be less likely to suddenly throw away all their efforts if they still offered reasons to stick with WoW1, (updates, lowered costs, etc), so the only way to get people to switch is to begin the purge.

Even after they lose many of their "(hard)core" players from cannibalizing their game, they understand that a certain amount of retention will still be guaranteed due to those players looking for the next best thing in terms of mmorpgs (which they will hope to provide with wow2).

In short, they don't want WoW2 to compete with WoW, so they are killing it slowly. If they did this too fast then they would come off as being too obvious in their tactics, so they choose a slow painful death for the game.
#9TylerJPosted 8/18/2014 3:32:58 AM
This is ridiculous.

Exchange rates have been favourable to the UK, if anything Blizzard should be reducing the price to UK consumers.
---
http://youtu.be/w9RpY6453Ow
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4861/imagehzur.jpg
#10Haley Joel OsmentPosted 8/18/2014 4:00:35 AM
TylerJ posted...
This is ridiculous.

Exchange rates have been favourable to the UK, if anything Blizzard should be reducing the price to UK consumers.

Eh? The rest of Europe pays 12.99 a month, which is 10.40. Why would the UK be in line for a reduction?

---
I see dead people.