This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Between these two cards

#11-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 7:36:08 PM
770 isn't really an option, out of my price range.
#12-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 3:36:58 AM
I'm interested in getting a few more opinions before I buy
#13conker332Posted 8/18/2014 1:18:37 PM
Garage_Man posted...
conker332 posted...
Between the GTX 760 and R9 280, i would definitely pick the R9 280 since it is more powerful than the 760. AMD having horrible drivers has been greatly exaggerated by many people; NVIDIA and AMD drivers are pretty much equal now.

Nonsense. I prefer AMD drivers all day. Not once do I ever open my driver menu except to adjust scale on new displays.

Wait what? I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me, or disagreeing with me and saying that AMD drivers are better than NVIDIA drivers. I'm just taking a neutral stance here since there has not been any factual evidence that one company's drivers is better or worse than the other.

Fade2black001 posted...
conker332 posted...
Between the GTX 760 and R9 280, i would definitely pick the R9 280 since it is more powerful than the 760. AMD having horrible drivers has been greatly exaggerated by many people; NVIDIA and AMD drivers are pretty much equal now.

um.... right.....

Was i wrong about something?
#14-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 12:27:07 PM
So torn...

Seems like the GTX 760 sale only lasted a day, so the R9 280 is currently much cheaper than the GTX 760.

Nvidia has PhysX (Which is used in about 50 games), Nvidia Inspector, and Shadow Play.

AMD has Mantle (only good for BF games), 1 GB more VRAM, slightly more raw power, 3 free games, and it's now $40-$50 cheaper without even factoring in the $20 rebate.

I was actually leaning more towards the GTX 760 because PhysX seems nice and I think I would miss some of the effects in a handful of games, but the value provided by the R9 280 now makes it really hard to justify the 760.

I could just wait to see if the 8xx series actually comes out next month, or I could buy a used 760 (really don't feel comfortable doing this, though) or wait for it to go on sale again.
#15KURRUPTORPosted 8/22/2014 1:50:52 PM(edited)
This board has a infamous nvidia bias, like to the point of absurdity. I don't even know where the driver hate stems from honestly. Everyone says they suck but also say they would never use AMD so it's kind of hard to take their opinion seriously when they don't even have the experience to make such claims.

Most of the people here just think more money equals better performance even when you throw benchmarks in their face they just ignore them.

Your aren't missing much with physx, a decent amount of games do use it but only a handful actually do anything actually noteworthy with it, and sometimes (at least IMO) it just looks silly. Like they are using it just to use it rather than to make things look more realistic or better.

Edit: All that being said I would wait to see if the 800 series comes out next month, it could really change the prices of current cards. Or there might be a cars that hits your spending limit with better performance.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#16MaddSciencePosted 8/22/2014 1:49:54 PM
KURRUPTOR posted...
This board has a infamous nvidia bias, like to the point of absurdity. I don't even know where the driver hate stems from honestly. Everyone says they suck but also say they would never use AMD so it's kind of hard to take their opinion seriously when they don't even have the experience to make such claims.

Most of the people here just think more money equals better performance even when you throw benchmarks in their face they just ignore them.

Your aren't missing much with physx, a decent amount of games do use it but only a handful actually do anything actually noteworthy with it, and sometimes (at least IMO) it just looks silly. Like they are using it just to use it rather than to make things look more realistic or better.

yes, some things never change. the 760 is the worse option of those presented. pretty straightforward.
---
HDD is like a horse while SSDs are like Cars - CuteBeans
#17-CJF-(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 3:31:38 PM
Is it only rumored that the 800 series is being unveiled in Sept? I've also heard March 2015 and I'm not sure if I should just buy this R9 280 or wait. I don't mind waiting another month if GTX 860 is coming out, but I've been waiting about 2 months already and I currently only have the integrated graphics on my 4670k.

I don't mind if the price drops a bit after I buy, but I would be a little disappointed if my card is outclassed 20%+ a month after I buy it at the same price point.

Do the midrange cards typically launch around the same price point? For example, GTX 760 is ~$250 now, is that what the 860 will likely be? (Judging from past trends)
#18MaddSciencePosted 8/22/2014 4:02:20 PM
Usually. Though nvidia made the successor to the 560ti into the 680 and charged $500 for it. The HD7870 launched for $370. They'll price cards anyway now because customers no longer care about steady performance progress in given price ranges.
---
HDD is like a horse while SSDs are like Cars - CuteBeans